Finding Happiness: What's Your Level?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary: Watching nature/science/tech/cosmology documentaries - 10Reading physics - 8 (can be frustrating at times)Traveling - 10Playing videogames - 7Talking to my girl-friend - 10Free-studying - 10
~christina~
Gold Member
I'm watching the news and they are talking about "what makes you happy."
Apparently the people in the Netherlands are the "happy people."

so, What Makes You Happy?

and scale from 1-10?

I love doing things in the chemistry lab. :!) And I say I'm about a 8 on the scale.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like checking out girls. Probably a 9 on the happy scale. 10 when they notice.

Math self learning - 10
Math in college - 6

Movie once a week - 10
Movie twice a week - 8
Movie all weekdays - 0

Chemistry Lab (-)10 [that's minus sign]

Programming once/twice a week (self learning): 10
Programming at job: minus 10

Economics [Law of production which I am currently doing]: 7

Existing (10), thinking (9), doing (8) (in that order)

Reading. (8 / 10 for a really good book)
Shooting pool. (10)
Seeing old friends. (8-10)
Chess / Go. (9)
Flirting. (8)

Studying Science 9.5
Lab 9.5
Reading/Discussing Philosophy 8.5
Writing 8.0
Bull**** around 7.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha the Nederlanders are only the happiest because of the legal dope.

Playing my mandolin or a guitar, etc. Probably a 7 or 8
Being with friends 10
Doing funny **** with friends 10
River trips 8-10
Listening to music 10
Lots of others.

Oh, the happiness thing was your overall happiness. Well right now its not very up there prolly a 4 or 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
playing a musical (non-percussion) instrument - 8
jamming (group music improv) with somebody (when it works out) - 10
jamming (when it doesn't work out) - 4

first time I fell in love - 10
second time I fell in love - 9
third time... 7

science in general - 9
physics - 8

applying knowledge to reality - 10

seeing awesome geological sites - 8

I think falling in love is a 10 everytime, its just when its not reciprocal, or the impending heartbreak, etc. its a minus 100.

Last edited:
~christina~ said:
I'm watching the news and they are talking about "what makes you happy."

how about... making other people happy?

Last edited:
The look of bliss on the Evo Child's face when I hand her my debit card (no I will never learn).

Finding a new baby vegetable on one of my plants.

Taking pictures of my vegetables with the camera that the Evo Child bought me (she swears she used her own money). :biggrin:

Both of my girls.

Sitting on my patio, crammed between all of my plants and watching the birds and squirrels eating the food I put out on the rocks for them.

I don't know how I could rate these. What would be a 10, winning 200 million dollars? That would be a ten.

Last edited:
I don't know about happiness (as in joy), but I get a wonderful sense of satisfaction every time I make up and can another batch of hot chili relishes or salsas, or make another batch of pickles. My favorites from last summer are dill cucumber pickles with lots of Russian garlic and chilies for zest. My wife's favorites are the dill-pickled jalapeno rings - after I started using those on sandwiches, she tried them and is using them in everything from scrambled eggs to tossed salads. Gotta make more - we are going to run out for sure.

I like sunbathing. That's a 9.

I'd like a hug. That would be a 10. ;-)

Andre said:

Evo said:
The look of bliss on the Evo Child's face when I hand her my debit card (no I will never learn).

Right! That's the idea.

Forget about the x100 million$. I've seen things going very wrong after only a few million.

Watching Nature/Science/Tech/Cosmology Documentaries - 10

Reading Physics - 8 (can be frustrating at sometimes)

Traveling - 10

Playing Videogames - 7

Playing Table Tennis - 8

Finally having a good grade & the sense of achievement . . . priceless

Coming home on a Friday, when my hubby and daughter are home -10

Getting to work in the morning - 8 (although lately I've been swamped so it's dropped quite a bit, to maybe a 5)

Purring kitty in my lap - 8

Cooking for people I love - 8

Driving on a nice open road with a great song playing - 8

Seeing my daughter grow up and find her happiness - 10 (she just got her driver's license!)

Can you believe i am doing some thing for a guy i have never met, the favour is causing me to spend money before i really wanted to, and using some of my time ,but that is a never mind ,as long as i keep my promise and he has a trouble free journey i will be very happy.

Seems like married women get happiness from their kids..

married men?

rootX said:
Seems like married women get happiness from their kids..

married men?
Here is my younger brother with his 6-month-old daughter. I've never seen him happier - just wait until he teaches her how to fly-fish!

natehayley.jpg

Playing electric guitar, bass guitar, drum pads, or synthesizer - 10

Listening to Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd - 10

Talking to my girl-friend - 10

Free-studying - 10

Listening to other music - 8

Playing video-games - 8

Staying real and being myself - 10

My office mate and I always talk about the helicopters that fly overhead around campus. I told him that near our house is a farm, which is where the MD state trooper helicopter is parked. So if you driving past this house, you'll see a dolphine helicopter come out of the tree line and fly off. I told him its cool if you want to go see it, so we went today. We just drove down to the farm unanounced and parked near the hanger. I knocked on the door and the pilot came out and he showed us the helicopter and we talked for at least an hour and a half. Turns out he's also an engineer who flew for the navy and now the police. He was telling us all these great technical stuff about the helicopter. Really nice guy who loves what he does. That makes me happy.

binzing said:
Oh, the happiness thing was your overall happiness. Well right now its not very up there prolly a 4 or 5.

exactly. But why are you so unhappy overall? 4-5

For me lab specifically it's a 9 on the scale.

lisab said:
Purring kitty in my lap - 8
I forgot that too but it is also a 8 on the scale for me. :smile:
Evo said:
:rofl:
Andre said:
I do like making my mother happy though.

Last edited:
~christina~ said:
exactly. But why are you so unhappy overall? 4-5

Stuff, people stuff...

I don't think it's natural to be happy all the time. That in relativity is not being happy. Personally, I think it's normal to feel depressed for a good part of your life, otherwise, what would happiness be but mundane?

learning physics(and some other sciences too):9.5
reading: 8
rubiks cubing: 8.5
juggling: 8.5
doing homework: -(2^n) where n is the number of assignments

Ki Man said:
learning physics(and some other sciences too):9.5
reading: 8
rubiks cubing: 8.5
juggling: 8.5
doing homework: -(2^n) where n is the number of assignments

if n=0 then formula doesn't work within the scope of this scale!, nor has meaning ;)

Last edited:
BryanP said:
if n=0 then formula doesn't work within the scope of this scale!, nor has meaning ;)

thus it should be
[tex] -(2^n) [/tex] where n[tex] \neq[/tex] 0 :wink:

Last edited:
Kalikher said:
really cute !
She is really cute, and she laughs, smiles, and giggles all day long. I'm going to have to teach her how to make artificial copies of insects so that she can catch fat juicy salmonids. I can't wait!

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
She is really cute, and she laughs, smiles, and giggles all day long.

That's a wonderful picture, turbo, I love it. It really captures your niece's easy going personality - she's so relaxed! - and your brother's pride. My hubby and I were also blessed with a baby girl who was always happy. We called her the "beginner's model" baby. What a joy babies can be!

That baby of ours is 16 now. She's maddening at times...makes bad choices about school...but still a joy.

flying - 10

motorcycle riding - 10

reading - 8

existing at all other times - 0

The only time that I was really happy was when I was when I was in the air. I got grounded on a medical in '77, and that was the end of it. 30 years later, I met W... and I'm happy again. Weird.

This might sound stupid... but I don't know.

The things I do (i.e. play guitar, video games, do physics, etc.) is alright, but none of it really jumps at me like some people's hobbies seem to do to them. If I was told I could never do it again... I wouldn't really care I think.

WarPhalange said:
If I was told I could never do it again... I wouldn't really care I think.

That's only because you have not yet discovered your passion. And don't try to find it; it will find you. There's no rush, pal.

I'm not trying to rush it, but I've tried things in the past that I've liked, but like you said I've never found my passion. I'm just hoping my passion doesn't turn out to be something expensive. :grumpy:

1. What is the definition of happiness?

Happiness can be defined as a state of well-being and contentment that is characterized by positive emotions, satisfaction with life, and a sense of fulfillment.

2. How do I know if I am truly happy?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as happiness can mean different things to different people. However, some common signs of happiness include feeling positive emotions, having a sense of purpose and fulfillment, and being satisfied with your life.

3. Can happiness be measured?

Yes, happiness can be measured through various methods such as self-report surveys, psychological assessments, and brain imaging techniques. However, it is important to note that happiness is subjective and can be influenced by individual perceptions and experiences.

4. Is happiness a result of external factors or internal mindset?

This is a debated topic, but research suggests that happiness is a combination of both external factors (such as relationships, experiences, and material possessions) and internal mindset (such as gratitude, resilience, and positive thinking).

5. How can I increase my level of happiness?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as what makes one person happy may not work for another. However, some strategies that can potentially increase happiness include practicing gratitude, engaging in meaningful activities, building strong relationships, and taking care of your physical and mental well-being.