What must the third displacement be?

In summary, the delivery man must move 3.5km north, 5km west, and 1.7km south to reach his destination.
Rker

Homework Statement

A delivery man travels 35 mi northwest to his first stop, 60 mi in a direction 35° west of south to his second stop. His third stop is supposed to be 100 mi west of his original position. What must his third displacement be (magnitude and direction) for him to reach his destination?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew this inaccurate graph.

i41w1y.png

I'd rather not make an accurate graph for these kind of problems since I don't always have the resources to do so. I'm familiar with SOHCAHTOA, but I'm not sure how to use it to find the solution to this problem.

This is what someone suggested for a similar problem, but I'm having trouble understanding it.

Now, to your question:
- Displacement: 3.5km north, 5km west and 1.7km south gives a net distance of
√[(3.5 - 1.7)² + 5²] (Pythagorean theorem) = √28.24
to the direction of north-west (not exactly northwest)
- Direction: This is more trigonometric than geometric but whatever.
Let α be the angle between "East" axis and the direction of movement, we have:
tanα = y/x = (3.5 - 1.7)/5 = 0.36 => α = arctan(0.36)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the starting point be O. the firsat stop be A, second stop be B and third stop be C.
In triangle OAC, OA, OC and angle AOC is given.Using cosine rule you can find AC, and usind sine rule you can find angle OAC. Repeat the same thing for the triangle CAB.

That does make things easier to understand, but I'm not even certain that I calculated the angles correctly since my graph is inaccurate.

Once I do find the angles for triangle OAC, how will that help me find the angles for CAB?

Angle OAB is known.
CAB = OAB - OAC.

Is angle OAB 80 degrees? I tried redrawing the graph on paper, and now I don't think it is.

35 degrees west of south means 55 degrees south of west.
So 55 + 45 + θ = 180 degrees.

Oh, okay.

Also, when I redrew the graph more accurately, point C actually turned up being positioned more west than point B.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a scientific term that refers to the change in position or location of an object or particle in relation to its starting point.

2. What is the third displacement?

The third displacement is the third and final change in position of an object or particle, following two previous displacements.

3. Why is the third displacement important?

The third displacement is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object or particle. By knowing the initial and final positions as well as the third displacement, we can calculate the total displacement and velocity.

4. How is the third displacement calculated?

The third displacement is calculated by taking the difference between the final position and the initial position. This can be represented mathematically as: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the third displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

5. Can the third displacement be negative?

Yes, the third displacement can be negative. This means that the object or particle has moved in the opposite direction from its initial position. A positive third displacement means the object has moved in the same direction as its initial position.