1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What path should I take!

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    I have taught myself calculus 1 and 2 and I am currently working on calculus 3. I Graduate in 5 days and I will attend U of E ( I got in to Rose-Hulman but I couldn't get a big enough lone to go) but I have no idea if I should major in math / get a PhD in math or get into engineering. I really don't know any applications for math majors other than actuarial science and teaching. Everyone keeps telling me that I should get into engineering but I am not really interested in any of the types of engineering that I have heard of. I enjoy doing math and have studied math on my own for the past 2 years. I just want advice on what people who know exactly what it takes to get a degree/ PhD in math to give me their honest opinion on what I should do. I was going to get into engineering until a math professor at U of E told me that I was the perfect poster child for a math major.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not interested in Engineering, not know what to do or how to apply Mathematics, but interested in Mathematics?

Check into these: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Geological Sciences, Accounting, Finance, Computer Science, Computer Programming, and ENGINEERING -

Don't avoid Engineering completely. Maybe one or two Engineering courses might help you change your impression about it.

4. May 14, 2009 #3
    If you haven't even entered college yet the you have plenty of time to decide. You don't start "real math" (math that you'll be doing as a math major) until you're finished with calculus so you probably should postpone the decision of your major. Don't listen to what other people tell you, do what you want. I'm not saying that just because you shouldn't feel pressure to conform to other people's visions of your future but because if you choose to do engineering and hate it then you'll resent the people who pushed you to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook