What Path Should I Take for a Math Major?

• Thread starter thharrimw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the person has taught themselves calculus and is unsure about what major to pursue in college. They are interested in math but do not know what career options are available. They have considered engineering but are not interested in the types they have heard of. They are seeking advice from those with experience in obtaining a degree or PhD in math. The conversation suggests exploring other options such as chemistry, biochemistry, physics, accounting, finance, computer science, and computer programming. It is advised to not feel pressured by others and to choose a path that aligns with personal interests. It is also noted that math courses may help change one's perception of engineering. Overall, the person is still undecided and has time to make a decision.
thharrimw
I have taught myself calculus 1 and 2 and I am currently working on calculus 3. I Graduate in 5 days and I will attend U of E ( I got into Rose-Hulman but I couldn't get a big enough lone to go) but I have no idea if I should major in math / get a PhD in math or get into engineering. I really don't know any applications for math majors other than actuarial science and teaching. Everyone keeps telling me that I should get into engineering but I am not really interested in any of the types of engineering that I have heard of. I enjoy doing math and have studied math on my own for the past 2 years. I just want advice on what people who know exactly what it takes to get a degree/ PhD in math to give me their honest opinion on what I should do. I was going to get into engineering until a math professor at U of E told me that I was the perfect poster child for a math major.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not interested in Engineering, not know what to do or how to apply Mathematics, but interested in Mathematics?

Check into these: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Geological Sciences, Accounting, Finance, Computer Science, Computer Programming, and ENGINEERING -

Don't avoid Engineering completely. Maybe one or two Engineering courses might help you change your impression about it.

If you haven't even entered college yet the you have plenty of time to decide. You don't start "real math" (math that you'll be doing as a math major) until you're finished with calculus so you probably should postpone the decision of your major. Don't listen to what other people tell you, do what you want. I'm not saying that just because you shouldn't feel pressure to conform to other people's visions of your future but because if you choose to do engineering and hate it then you'll resent the people who pushed you to do it.

What is a math major?

A math major is a field of study that focuses on mathematics and its applications. It involves the study of numbers, shapes, patterns, and relationships.

What are the career options for a math major?

A math major can lead to a variety of career options, including roles in finance, data analysis, computer science, teaching, and research. Some specific job titles include mathematician, data analyst, actuary, and statistician.

What skills are needed for a math major?

A strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and geometry is essential for a math major. Additionally, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are important. Knowledge of computer programming and statistics can also be beneficial.

What are the challenges of pursuing a math major?

Some challenges of pursuing a math major may include the rigorous coursework, abstract concepts, and complex problem-solving. Time management and strong study skills may also be necessary to succeed in the program.

What can I do to prepare for a math major?

To prepare for a math major, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. Taking advanced math courses in high school can also be beneficial. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can help prepare for the coursework.