What percentage of the gas propellant in the completely filled propuls

In summary: I think I was trying to make it too complicated. In summary, the astronaut's mass is 167 kg during the space-walk, and the gas propellant in the completely filled propulsion unit was depleted by 24 kg.
thatgirlyouknow

Homework Statement

An astronaut in his space suit and with a propulsion unit (empty of its gas propellant) strapped to his back has a mass of 143 kg. During a space-walk, the unit, which has been filled with propellant gas, ejects some gas with a velocity of +30.9 m/s. As a result, the astronaut recoils with a velocity of -0.265 m/s. After the gas is ejected, the mass of the astronaut (now wearing a partially empty propulsion unit) is 167 kg. What percentage of the gas propellant in the completely filled propulsion unit was depleted?

Homework Equations

Pfinal = Pinitial
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

-.265(astronaut + gas) = 30.9 (gas)
-.265(143 + x) = 30.9x
-37.846 -.265x = 30.9x
31.165x = -37.846
x = 1.214 kg

This can't be right, because the total after expulsion is 167 kg, meaning there is at least 24 kg of gas in the tank. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at -.265(143+x)=30.9x. The x on the left side represents the gas remaining in the tank. The x on the right side represents the gas ejected from the tank. You are using x to represent two different things. Can you straighten this up? Hint: I would replace 143+x with 167.

Your equations for the mass of the astronaut is not correct.

The mass of the astronaut during this situation is effectively 167kg.

Let the mass of the gas be x. The total mass of the astronaut with full tank would be 167+x.

Can you take it from here?

EDIT: Dick you beat me by 3 minutes! I wasn't even close!:smile:

3 minutes is close! Not all of that represents thinking time.

Thank you both!

1. What is the purpose of gas propellant in a propulsor?

The gas propellant in a propulsor is used to generate thrust, which propels the object forward.

2. How is the percentage of gas propellant in a completely filled propulsor determined?

The percentage of gas propellant in a completely filled propulsor is determined by dividing the volume of gas propellant by the total volume of the propulsor and multiplying by 100.

3. Can the percentage of gas propellant be adjusted in a propulsor?

Yes, the percentage of gas propellant can be adjusted in a propulsor by changing the amount of gas propellant added or by changing the size of the propulsor itself.

4. What happens if the percentage of gas propellant is too high in a propulsor?

If the percentage of gas propellant is too high in a propulsor, it can result in an explosion or malfunction of the propulsor. This can also lead to a loss of control of the object.

5. How does the percentage of gas propellant affect the performance of a propulsor?

The percentage of gas propellant directly affects the performance of a propulsor. A higher percentage of gas propellant will result in a more powerful thrust and faster acceleration, while a lower percentage will result in a weaker thrust and slower acceleration.