What physics class should I start out with?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is planning to study Computer Science and is wondering whether to take General College Physics or Calculus before attempting University Physics. The expert suggests taking Calculus 1 and then both Calculus 2 and Calculus-based Physics 1 for a solid foundation. They also mention that Physics 2 will require some Calculus 3 concepts, but it can be managed. Overall, the recommended course of action is to take Calculus-based courses for a better understanding of Physics for Science and Engineering students.
Yarki
Hi everyone. I am currently studying at a community college to attain a degree in Computer Science. I eventually will go on to get a Bachelors in Computer Science therefore will require a semester or two of University Physics or Physics for Engineers depending on which University I attend. I am planning on taking Calculus next semester (I am in Pre-Calculus currently). Being that I have never taken a physics class in my entire life, I am wondering if I should take 2 semesters of General College Physics before attempting to take University Physics? Or should I take Calculus 1 and 2 and then go right into University Physics? (Calculus 1 and 2 are required regardless). I would like to get most of the Calculus and Physics out of the way before going to a university so I have a solid foundation. Any suggestions on what would be the best course of action for me? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I never took high school physics or Algebra-based Physics, and I did just fine with the first two semesters of Calculus-based Physics. Take Calculus 1, and then take both Calculus 2 and Calculus-based Physics 1 (Newtonian Mechanics and possible waves). Physics 1 uses very basic Calculus. In Physics 2 (E&M and Optics), you will come across Calculus 3 concepts but you can easily get by.

Likes Yarki and symbolipoint
Calculus 1, Calculus 2 (and continuing to Calculus 3, even better for you).
Physics series for the Science & Engineering students, the Calculus-based courses.

Likes Yarki

1. What is the best physics class to start with as a beginner?

The best physics class to start with as a beginner is typically Introductory Physics or General Physics. These classes cover the fundamental concepts and principles of physics and provide a solid foundation for more advanced classes.

2. Can I skip introductory physics and start with a higher level class?

It is not recommended to skip introductory physics as it provides the necessary background knowledge for more advanced classes. However, if you have a strong background in math and science, you may be able to start with a higher level class with approval from your academic advisor.

3. What if I have already taken a physics class in high school?

If you have already taken a physics class in high school, you may be able to skip introductory physics and start with a higher level class. However, it is important to assess your understanding of the material and consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate class to start with.

4. Should I take a calculus-based or algebra-based physics class?

This depends on your intended major and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a degree in a STEM field, it is recommended to take a calculus-based physics class. If you are not pursuing a STEM degree, an algebra-based physics class may be more suitable.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in my physics class?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in your physics class, including tutoring services, study groups, and online resources. Your professor and teaching assistants are also valuable resources and can provide additional support and guidance.