What qualifications do I need to teach high school math in different states?

In summary, a math major is required in order to teach in a state like California, but some math ed courses might help satisfy the employment requirements.
steelphantom
I'm currently in my third semester at Penn State, and will be declaring my major sometime next semester. I'm going to major in math, but I'm not sure which Math BS option I want to take (Penn State offers several). I'm leaning towards teaching (high school-level) after I graduate.

I know that the teaching requirements vary from state to state, but, in general, what qualifications would I need to have in order to apply for a job at a high school to teach math? For the record, I live in southwestern Pennsylvania, and would be open to moving a little bit if it meant that I would have a better chance at landing a job.

Should I just get a general Math BS degree and just get some education credits while I'm there? I'm open to any advice you guys have. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My calculus teacher in High-School was a literature major and only had 1 year of calculus himself. I think that as long as you want the job, you'll be fine. :p

In my opinion, I would say a general math would be better than math ed. I know in Texas and Missouri(maybe more states, but I've only lived in those states.) you basically only need a teacher certification. Also, if a school needs teachers know calc, stats, etc etc, then they are mainly only concern with the fact that you know the subject. Of course, I can be wrong.

That's what I wanted to hear, guys. Thanks for the input! My math teacher from high school told me that if I want to teach, I'll probably just need some education credits and to pass whatever certification exams there are.

Bitter said:
In my opinion, I would say a general math would be better than math ed. I know in Texas and Missouri(maybe more states, but I've only lived in those states.) you basically only need a teacher certification. Also, if a school needs teachers know calc, stats, etc etc, then they are mainly only concern with the fact that you know the subject. Of course, I can be wrong.

In California, at least, it is very wrong. My wife has a master's degree in mathematics, and she still had to go back to school for a year to get a teacher certification before any district would consider hiring her. Moreover, during all of her job interviews, no one *ever* asked her about anything mathematical... all of the questions were about classroom management.

Of course different states have different requirements. But if you want to teach, I'd strongly recommend math ed instead of general math.

TMFKAN64 said:
In California, at least, it is very wrong. My wife has a master's degree in mathematics, and she still had to go back to school for a year to get a teacher certification before any district would consider hiring her. Moreover, during all of her job interviews, no one *ever* asked her about anything mathematical... all of the questions were about classroom management.

Of course different states have different requirements. But if you want to teach, I'd strongly recommend math ed instead of general math.

Hmm... Well, of course I'd have to be certified to teach in my state. What are the requirements in California, for example?

steelphantom said:
Hmm... Well, of course I'd have to be certified to teach in my state. What are the requirements in California, for example?

Intelligence - IQ 89
Langauge - Preferably English

try to do both - know the subject, which requires a math major, and satisfy the employment requirements, which often means some math ed courses. besides you might learn something about how to teach in the math ed courses, always useful.look at the requirements in a few states for teachers. the imbecilic "no child left behind" law, crafted by that brilliant acdemic, GW, has made it much harder for intelligent people who merely know the material to get jobs.

I know this second hand from my students who are still asking me for letters for jobs, in spite of having won all our awards for being the best students in the department.

JasonRox said:
Intelligence - IQ 89

:biggrin: I'd like to think I could at least satisfy those requirements.

mathwonk said:
try to do both - know the subject, which requires a math major, and satisfy the employment requirements, which often means some math ed courses. besides you might learn something about how to teach in the math ed courses, always useful.

look at the requirements in a few states for teachers. the imbecilic "no child left behind" law, crafted by that brilliant acdemic, GW, has made it much harder for intelligent people who merely know the material to get jobs.

I know this second hand from my students who are still asking me for letters for jobs, in spite of having won all our awards for being the best students in the department.

I plan on taking at least two Math Education courses while I'm at Penn State, so hopefully that will help me meet state requirements. It looks like I'd have to do some student teaching or intern (?) somewhere in order to fulfill part of the PA requirements. Do you think I'd be able to student-teach at all even if I'm not going to go through the Math Education program? I realize that I should probably ask someone at my school about this, but you guys seem to be very knowledgeable and might have an idea or two.

JasonRox said:
Intelligence - IQ 89

No, that's Canada... I can see how the "C" at the beginning confused you... :smile:

Seriously, California teacher credentialling is a pain in the ass, unless you want to teach in an inner city, in which case "breathing" is probably enough to get an emergency credential...

steelphantom said:

For a preliminary credential, you need to:
1. Have at least a Bachelor's degree,
2. Pass CBEST (a general purpose "Can you read, write, and add?" test).
3. Pass CSET (a set of three mathematics exams).
4. Pass a state-accredited teacher training program. (I think teacher training in states other than California can be transferred with appropriate paper work.)
5. Get fingerprint and background clearance.
6. Get CPR training.
7. Show a familiarity with the principles of the US constitution, either through coursework or passing an exam. (This is the dumbest requirement, and usually reduces to writing a check to take a short multiple choice exam with one small essay.)

Then, you have to do additional teacher training within I think 5 years to get a "clear" credential.

On the other hand, I remember reading that NY had a special program for career change teachers. Six weeks during the summer, and then into the classroom you go!

So in short, the state-by-state requirements differ considerably.

What are the job opportunities for a math major?

As a math major, you will develop analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in various industries such as finance, technology, data analysis, and research. You can also pursue a career in academia as a math professor or researcher.

What skills do I need to excel in a math major?

To excel in a math major, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and statistics. You should also have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently.

Is a math major difficult?

Like any other major, a math major requires dedication, hard work, and perseverance. It can be challenging, but with the right mindset and determination, you can succeed. Seek help from professors and classmates if you encounter difficulties, and practice regularly to improve your skills.

What courses will I take as a math major?

As a math major, you will take a variety of courses in subjects such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and discrete mathematics. You may also have the opportunity to take advanced courses in specific areas of math, such as algebra, geometry, or topology.

What can I do with a math major besides becoming a mathematician?

A math major provides you with a versatile skill set that can be applied to various fields. You can pursue careers in finance, computer science, data analysis, actuarial science, and more. You can also use your math background to excel in graduate studies in fields such as economics, engineering, or physics.