What SciFi universe would you live in?

In summary: I think the writers did a great job of seamlessly weaving the Ori storyline into the show and not making it feel like a blatant cash grab.In summary, the SGU universe would be my favorite because it has a great plot and character development, while the Star Trek after the Dominion War universe would be my second choice because it has all of the benefits discussed above and is in a great position of power.
Only a few have the force though. You could end up being a moisture farmer

Physics news on Phys.org
Stop poking holes in my flawed logic damnit!

I'd live in New New York!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Only a few have the force though. You could end up being a moisture farmer

This is true for any universe. Yeah you could pick Star Trek: TNG but imagine if someone watched a bunch of TV shows and said "I want to live on earth! They have the coolest tech!" And then they show up here and statistically they're more likely to not have a television, car or an internet connection. Pretty lame compared to what they saw on TV. None of the shows are going to show the crippling poverty of the underclass because that makes for terrible TV

Office_Shredder said:
This is true for any universe. Yeah you could pick Star Trek: TNG but imagine if someone watched a bunch of TV shows and said "I want to live on earth! They have the coolest tech!" And then they show up here and statistically they're more likely to not have a television, car or an internet connection. Pretty lame compared to what they saw on TV. None of the shows are going to show the crippling poverty of the underclass because that makes for terrible TV
But inside the federation in the TNG era there isn't any poverty... no poverty, no underclass.

willbell said:
But inside the federation in the TNG era there isn't any poverty... no poverty, no underclass.

Ok so who cleans the toilets?
I saw no evidence of menial task robots.
Just because there is no "money" does not mean there is no "currency"
and that will always create an underclass.

brenan said:

There aren't any toilets. They use the transporter to beam it right out of you.

None of the shows are going to show the crippling poverty of the underclass because that makes for terrible TV

Some do. Babylon 5 had the Down Below area. Doctor Who used to have a fair number of proletariat uprisings. (The Sunmakers w/Tom Baker is a good one.)

this is an interesting topic,
unfortunately,
I can not pick which SciFi universe because i want to experience most of them.

brenan said:
I saw no evidence of menial task robots.
Just because there is no "money" does not mean there is no "currency"
and that will always create an underclass.
Implicit in this are the assumptions that:

1) The ideas of social status, particularly with regards to work, are the same (in other words that cleaning the toilets would be judged to be a negative personal trait)

2) That work is the same in the sense that people have one job that is usually a career (as opposed to people picking up and putting down a variety of volunteer jobs as needed so as to spread the load of undesirable jobs yet to be automated)

Admittedly I don't think any series of ST ever explored this properly but there has been plenty of science fiction (mainly literature) and non fiction that has explored these ideas.

Babylon 5 as an enhanced telepath (similar to Jason Ironheart)

Brenan, it doesn't have to make sense, it is meant to be utopian. :p

willbell said:
Brenan, it doesn't have to make sense, it is meant to be utopian. :p

Science fiction is required to make sense. If it doesn't it's science fantasy. There's a seperate
thread for that :tongue2:

After giving it more thought I've decided I'd want to live in the Stainless Steel Rat universe.
PROVIDING... I get to be slippery jim.

brenan said:
Science fiction is required to make sense. If it doesn't it's science fantasy. There's a seperate
thread for that :tongue2:
I'll point out that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who, and Star Wars have all made it into this thread so I really doubt the genre is that restrictive.:wink:

willbell said:
I'll point out that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who, and Star Wars have all made it into this thread so I really doubt the genre is that restrictive.:wink:

touche... :smile:

Star Trek TNG , no doubt.

I would enjoy having Data's job in one of the less important ship.Yet at the same time , I wouldn't mind being on the enterprise discussing with Data.

Rolen said:
I'd live on the universe of Foundation.
Advanced math, advanced tech. Sure it'll be fun.

I nearly jumped to heartily agree with you, though the intellectual vigor present in the Foundation Universe is really limited to the Second Foundation, Gaia, and the Robot contingent. Advanced knowledge in the galaxy is not open source; to the contrary, it is extremely esoteric. I'd rather take Kim Stanley Robinson's Martian Universe, which appears to value advanced knowledge or at least rationality for all.

TNG as a federation citizen. I don't need to be in the 1%. I can be an ensign on some nameless star ship, replicating my favorite steak, listening to classical music. During the day I would work at some science station analyzing a dust cloud in sector whatever. All the while the Enterprise can be thrown back in time,blown up, infested with parasites, borgafied, thrown back in time etc...

I am good being just a regular Joe...just don't give me a red shirt.

The worlds of the Vorkosigan novels of Lois McMaster Bujold.

Alastair Reynolds revelation space.

I don't think Death Note constitutes sci-fi, but hey, each to their own.

Blade Runner's Earth looks amazing in the film, I'd go with that.

brenan said:

Algr said:
There aren't any toilets. They use the transporter to beam it right out of you.

Ok, so who calibrates the transporter?

Wasn't there a Star Trek episode like this where Capt Kirk, Spock, and Checkov were competing to see who could eat the most pies or something? Obviously, Spock would have to win because of his superior ability to control his reactions to discomfort, pain, etc, but Kirk would still have to try to beat him - just because he's Capt Kirk. Except to the shock of all, Chekov was able to beat even Spock ...

... because unknown to everyone else, Scotty was beaming the pies out of Checkov's stomach and into outer space.

At least until he became distracted by an attractive crewmember strolling across the room and didn't have the coordinates quite on the right spot...

... and beamed Checkov's lower intestines into outer space by accident.

Or maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe it wasn't a Star Trek episode. Maybe it was a Breaking Bad episode, instead.

EBENEZR said:
I don't think Death Note constitutes sci-fi, but hey, each to their own..

Correct. Its fantasy not ψ-∅.
Not to mention you come across as a Kira supporter. Kira is just a loser. L wins aLways.

BobG said:
Ok, so who calibrates the transporter?

Whilst never stated it's implied that automation and productivity is so advanced in the ST universe that the number of jobs need doing left is easily covered by volunteers. Think of it this way: some people actually want to clean toilets, not as many as toilets need cleaning. But if toilet self cleaning technology was good enough that they only need human intervention once every several decades then maybe there will be enough volunteers.

Weird thought I know.

I would like to see Fringe universe on my own.I think,there are many stuffs that are quite real,at least theoretically,but mainly,problems which are taking place there are explained by analogy and real facts from medicine,physics...Of course it is only sci-fi,but it is more realistic therefore..And parallel universe opens many amazing options...

Enigman said:
Correct. Its fantasy not ψ-∅.
Not to mention you come across as a Kira supporter. Kira is just a loser. L wins aLways.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, did you mean ψ-Φ?

EBENEZR said:
I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, did you mean ψ-Φ?

Fantasy is a genre eg. Death Note, Harry Potter, LOTR
ψ-Φ(looks cooler) or Sci-fi is also a genre eg. Star trek
I wouldn't want to live in a world controlled by a 18 year old (guessing the age, may be lower) who has the power to kill anyone and will do so when anyone opposes him...
And anyway Kira goes mad, L wins...well, more or less...If there can be more than one Kira, Near and Melo are part of L too...
BTW Did you read the manga, see the anime or the movie?
(I read the manga)
Sorry about before must have been cranky that day...
:redface:

Either HP or FRINGE! Fringe is epic.

There are some interesting choices and reasons for them here! Revelation Space is perfect hard sf, but imho the whole fermi paradox explanation trend is starting to wear thin. I mean who wants to live in a universe constantly under threat? Thats what they told Reynolds when contracting his next three books: we want a brighter future!

Cant say I am into the Blue Remembered Earth stuff yet, i tried but it didnt want to play with me.

So fan as i am, ill go with PF Hamiltons Commonwealth - Pandoras Star will blow you away with its believable post singularity world building. And i love the way it turns the classic trope of living in a corporate controlled future into living under the benign authority of immortal great families.

fulltime said:
Cant say I am into the Blue Remembered Earth stuff yet, i tried but it didnt want to play with me.

BRE was ok, the sequel was better IMO. I like Al Reynolds and think he's great at certain things like imparting a sense of deep history but I've always had a niggling criticism reading his books that his characters are emotionally bland.

fulltime said:
So fan as i am, ill go with PF Hamiltons Commonwealth - Pandoras Star will blow you away with its believable post singularity world building. And i love the way it turns the classic trope of living in a corporate controlled future into living under the benign authority of immortal great families.

Lol I'm not sure how benign it really is (sure there are no GULAGs but the Commonwealth in PS/JU is essentially a plutocracy rather than a democracy) but it would be a cool place to live. I think I'd choose the Commonwealth in the Void Trilogy though set a thousand years later. Far more interesting ;)

Titan-AE, Baby! that's all I need to say. one of the best SciFi movies out there. underrated though, nobody really talks about it. a shame...

Why not the Q-continuum?

PAllen said:
Why not the Q-continuum?
I've been told it's really boring. :wink:

Likes ComplexVar89
strangerep said:
I've been told it's really boring. :wink:

Yes, but can there really be a place so boring a Q can't change it ...

PAllen said:
Yes, but can there really be a place so boring a Q can't change it ...
Then why did Q leave it and go to the (normal) Star Trek universe instead? :biggrin:

Likes ComplexVar89
Doctor Who, just because you could be able to visit anyplace at anytime.