What should I know before applying to university?

In summary, the person is applying to several colleges and wants to make sure they are doing everything they can to keep their GPA high. They are nervous about applying and being accepted to multiple schools and have questions about what is allowed.
462chevelle
Gold Member
I'm wondering what kind of etiquette one should follow when applying to university. Right now I'm in CC getting all of my calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra done. That way I can apply to OSU (Oklahoma) for mechanical engineering. Next semester I'm taking Calc1 then spring I'll be taking Calc2. Currently I have a 4.0 and I am going to do everything I can to keep that GPA as long as I can. I was thinking about applying to OSU after next springs semester though just to see if i get in. If not, I was thinking about applying to quite a few other places, Texas Tech to name one. I don't know if this is frowned upon though, because if I get accepted, I won't have money to go there without a lot of scholarship money. So it will be a wasted acceptence for them. I will be financially stable enough in 2 years though, whenever I intend on transferring. I also don't know what kind of rules there are to how many semesters you have to spend at a college to get a degree through them.
Could anyone shed some light on the subject, or give me some advice?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
462chevelle said:
I also don't know what kind of rules there are to how many semesters you have to spend at a college to get a degree through them.

Colleges and universities usually have their degree requirements (including conditions like this) on their web sites somewhere. I think the college where I work is fairly typical. We require about 120 semester hours total for a bachelor's degree. Of these, 30 of the last 60 must be completed here, basically one year's worth of work.

Last edited:
You apply to several different schools in the hope that you get accepted to all of them and can choose to pick the one which best fits your educational goals. However, unless you are an exceptional candidate, you probably won't get accepted to all the schools you apply to. College admissions officers understand that students will apply to several different schools and wind up choosing only one. If you apply to only one school and get turned down, you will probably have to wait at least one semester before you can apply to another school, since most schools set a deadline for applications to be submitted.

Do your homework before applying to a school. If you want a mechanical engineering degree, for example, look at several different schools which offer such a program. All schools will tell you which courses you are required to take to qualify for a degree. The schools can also tell you which of your credits will transfer. (Schools are not required to accept credits from another institution, which is why you want to get this question answered before you go to the trouble of filling out an application) Remember, this is a big financial investment, so you want to spend some time on deciding which institutions you want to apply to.

At the early stages, the financial matters should be looked at, but even though you may think a certain school is unaffordable, don't automatically exclude it. Most institutions have people on staff who can help you with finding scholarships or other financial means to meet tuition or expenses; this is why you want to talk to the admissions staff rather than just fill out an application. Then, if things still don't work out financially, you move on to another choice on your list which might be more affordable.

The bigger schools know that more prospective students apply to attend than they have space for: that's what waiting lists were created for.

What I don't understand is why you want to apply to schools if you don't intend to go there if accepted, at least not right away. This is a lot of work - what do you get out of it by doing it now, as opposed to when you are ready to attend?

Mostly because of my confidence in essay writing. I'm not very good at the stuff you have to fluff up those kind of essays with. Whenever i write stuff like that and I have someone proofread it, they laugh at me and help me add more descriptive stuff. I'm more quick and to the point if I'm trying to sell myself, if you want to call it that. I'm just really nervous I guess. I feel like if I apply and don't get accepted i need to open up to more options, and if I had more time to research those options I would be more comfortable. I have a kid and a girlfriend to take care of and currently my girlfriend doesn't work. So basically I'm going to school full time, working full time, with a kid and pre planning a year ahead is a must for me. If I had to move out of state that is a very big deal.

If you're trying to improve your essay writing, I think you'd be much better off by taking a class in it - or at least a class with a large writing component. You'll write more in a class than in an application or two, and more importantly, you'll get feedback so you can improve. That way, when you really are ready to go, your application will be stronger.

Writing is a skill where one gets better thru constant practice, and you need this skill for more than writing an essay for a college application. When you ask someone to proofread your writing, also ask their opinion about the style or the organization of the piece. This kind of feedback can go a long way to help you improve your writing. If you are shy about writing, this could be a hindrance not only to your future academic career, but also eventually your professional one as well. Writing clear and readable reports is a key aspect to just about any professional career.

I took English Comp 1 last semester and it was really helpful for essay writing. I guess I need to think back to that class. I spent an awful lot of time editing and proofreading those essays. I suppose essays for applications should be no different. I'm just one of those writers that can see a 1 page paper and say the same thing in half the words, although i don't think that is a good habit to have. I'm so used to reading useless technical information at work that is a page long that should be 2 sentences long. I must have conditioned myself to avoid all the fluff when I'm making my rough draft.

Related to What should I know before applying to university?

What is the application process for university?

The application process for university typically involves filling out an online or paper application form, submitting transcripts and test scores, writing essays or personal statements, and obtaining letters of recommendation. Some universities may also require interviews or additional materials, such as a portfolio for art or design programs. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each university you are interested in before beginning the process.

When is the application deadline for university?

The application deadline for university can vary depending on the school and program. Some universities have a single deadline for all programs, while others have different deadlines for different programs. It is important to check the specific deadlines for each university you are interested in and make sure to submit your application before the deadline. Late applications may not be considered.

What is the minimum GPA/ test score requirement for university?

The minimum GPA and test score requirement for university can vary depending on the school and program. Some universities have a specific minimum requirement, while others consider a range of factors when evaluating applications. It is best to check the specific requirements for each university and program you are interested in to determine if you meet the minimum criteria.

How many universities should I apply to?

The number of universities you should apply to depends on your individual circumstances and goals. It is generally recommended to apply to a mix of reach, match, and safety schools. Reach schools are those that may be more competitive for your academic profile, match schools are those that you have a good chance of being accepted to, and safety schools are those that you are almost certain to be accepted to. It is important to research and carefully consider each university before deciding how many to apply to.

What can I do to make my university application stand out?

There are several things you can do to make your university application stand out. First, make sure to carefully follow all application instructions and submit all required materials on time. Additionally, you can highlight any unique or outstanding achievements, experiences, or skills in your application essays or personal statement. Obtaining strong letters of recommendation and participating in extracurricular activities can also help make your application stand out. Ultimately, it is important to be authentic and showcase your passion and potential for success in your chosen field of study.