What should I know before buying an electric violin?

In summary, an electric violin can be a cheaper and louder option than a regular violin, but you'll need to factor in amps and other equipment.
zeion
Hello.

I'm thinking of buying an electric violin for my own amusement.
Just wondering if anyone has experience in this matter?
I pretty much have zero knowledge about electric instruments and would appreciate tips on what to pay attention to when selecting one, price range, brands, effects, amps.. etc.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well unless you are looking at one for a specific reason (design perhaps), I wouldn't say there's much difference between electric and standard violins.

Now, I'm sure the 'pros' out there have their preferences, but for me (a pianist) you can't beat the original (I prefer the sound and feel of 'real' pianos over electric).

jarednjames said:
Well unless you are looking at one for a specific reason

I've been asked to play for an amateur band, but from past experiences I have had difficulty playing loud enough during performances even with a mic placed right next to me.

I have the impression that electric instruments rely not as much on how hard you can strum or press the bow.

Well you can just turn the volume up on the amp of an electric instrument so you'd be better off going with one of them.

Do you what the price range is for a decent electric violin?

Honestly haven't got a clue.

I'd recommend you factor in amps and all the associated gear as well when pricing.

Should give you a good idea: http://www.electricviolinshop.com/violins/all-violins.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get microphone inserts that clip onto acoustic violins. The mike actually sits inside the fiddle, poked through on one of the f-holes. They are used a lot by session string players for recording. Compared with a conventional mike, they cut out most of the noise spill from other performers, so you can wind up the amplification as high as you need.

I can't recommend any particular brand, but if you already play acoustic violin that might be a cheaper way to fix the amplification problem. Unless what you really want is an electric fiddle in black carbon fiber with dayglo pink and yellow stripes, shaped nothing like a real fiddle, of course...

If you just need to be a bit louder you a mic is the way to go,
however avoid any of the ones that go in the F-hole or contact type mics they sound like poo (of the thick muddy type) they get all B mode no A mode of the sound
if the repertoire is mostly acoustic and you want it to sound like a Violin have a look at these from DPA (a german word for expensive) less cost than an electric Vi or Vla however

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=118&item=24346
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24045

the second one has a little rubber mount that attaches to the strings behind the bridge (think Mute) sold separate and is what most orchestras use, the first is more bulky and is more fragile but has slightly better dynamic range it's what CBC uses for in studio recording.

another option is go Carbon fiber (the ones that look Exactly like a normal Vi, just black) they are considerably louder than not great wood.
A friend of mine uses a CF Viola he's the principle for the Orchestra he only switches back to his wood when doing Baroque chamber stuff (its too loud and doesn't quite blend if there's 2 of them it tends to sound a little staccoto if that's a good way of saying it)
1 of the firsts also has a CF she won the audition on it and she sits next to a girl with a Strad so you it don't suck. also know one soloist with A CF Cello, they've come a long way in the last 10 years

If you have your heart set on an electric (or CF is too much $) or if you want to use effects. then everyone I know is on the Yamaha ones or a custom made one, Laure Anderson uses the Yamaha so again doesn't suck.
electric is also good for practice they make next to no sound when not plugged in and you can use headphones (the Yamaha doesn't have a headphone port like their Cellos do need to get a headphone amp for the Vi :edit, they seem to have a box the Vi plugs into with a line level and headphone out now, haven't heard one and not sure if it comes with or is an extra:) if you need to play without a real sound system you will also need an amp DO NOT cheap out on the Amp and never buy one without playing on it preferably against all the other ones you might buy at the same time compare with your ears and never believe a sales critter in a music store they get paid on margin.
(e-bay is your freind)
worse comes to worse go online look for photos/ blogs of bands that do what your looking to do and see what they use, gives you stuff to start trying, always experiment and try stuff before $pending
hth

Last edited:
oh and if it's an amateur band tell them to turn the monitors down that's usually what causes most sound disasters with inexperienced groups.
get what you need (and only what you need) start with you Snare Hat and then play a song see if you can get away with that add what you must have from there, if you can't hear something don't turn it up turn everything else down makes the front of house engineers life better too which is another way of saying what the audience hears is better.
Also if not using a clip on make sure the mic technique is what works a good mic in the wrong place can sound worse than a mediocre mic placed well, get a good one and then play with where you are in relation to it.
using an SM 58 Vocal mic or Dog forbid a 57 could be 1/2 the problem
Vi should be mic'd with a suitable instrument Mic (condenser , medium pattern Cardiod) from overhead at the top of the instrument pointed away from the guitar amps and your monitor. a tall mic stand with a boom from the scroll about a foot above the instrument and angled away from the amps and monitor angle at 45 and 45 so it aims between the f-hole and bridge with the actual mic above the neck so it's out of the way of your Bow.
Stand on the Bass side of the stage let the guitarist have stage right helps with mic aiming and sound rejection if it's that type of band
You can always rent from a pro shop (companies that rent to touring groups) for a couple days to try stuff out (amps too)
hell call your local Orchestras sound guy (or Boston pops for that matter) and ask him what he uses for pops shows when they're not using a clip on (sound guys LOVE to talk shop)
try these.
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,223,pid,223,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/194ac5d60380d624/index.html

the AT is pretty heavy with it and it's shock mount needs a solid Mic stand so it doesn't droop it's a bit delicate but it's very flexible and can have 3 different pick up patterns, works really well if you want to do live and record solo. has an Omni directional setting so solo in a decent room it gets a lot of the room sound and can be used for area micing a wide array of instruments

the AKG was industry standard for exactly what you want for 30 years (until they discontinued it and got hate mail) this is a new version of that design
DPA also make a similar style of mic but again German for expensive.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Catalog&category=113

a good rule of thumb is the sound guy is going to show up with a cable with a XLR connector on it that runs back to his board, you need to provide him something to plug it into. that gives you control of "your sound" and makes his life better.
whether that's a mic above / on your acoustic instrument or for electric a mic that sits in front of your Amp or a DI (Direct input) box instead of an amp.
http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdi.htm
Don't assume the sound guy is going to have the right type of mic for your instrument and sound.

If you go electric I'd suggest googleing "pedal board" as an option (it's that thing at the guitar players feet) you may not need all the effects stuff but a volume pedal or Mute pedal a tuner pedal a DI box and a power supply for the pedals can make your life way easy ie: electrics don't make enough sound to be able to tune if there's any noise at all and they weigh a lot less than an Amp. keeps all your cables and stuff together as well much harder to lose things if you only have 2 cases to think about maybe get / make one that has a slot or 2 left open for effects you never know. also quite handy if your sharing the stage with other bands gets you in and out way faster only 2 things to move and plug in the XLR and 1 power cord.
(some amps have a direct out as well I'd recommend this if you go the with the Amp route you can mic the amp and / or take the DI signal)

make sure all the stuff you have is good and you like the sound it makes. (not going to crap out and makes a strong enough signal, any noise in the circuit is the enemy you never want to amplify noise)

if you go electric do yourself a favor and google "Unity gain" try and get your head wrapped around what it means the sound guy will Love you

lol apparently I'm bored I've written a novel on da internets and I know sounds like a lot for a hobby but there is a lot to be said for being able to set up plug in and sound check in 10 minutes especially for rehearsal you have way more fun if getting good sound is fast and easy

Last edited:

Related to What should I know before buying an electric violin?

1. What are the advantages of buying an electric violin?

Electric violins offer several advantages over traditional acoustic violins. They are typically smaller and lighter, making them easier to transport. They also have a wider range of sound effects and can be played at higher volumes without feedback. Additionally, they can be played with headphones, making them ideal for practicing in quiet environments.

2. What should I consider when choosing an electric violin?

When buying an electric violin, you should consider the type of music you will be playing, your budget, and your skill level. Different electric violins have different sound qualities, so it's important to try out a few to find one that suits your preferences. You should also look for a quality instrument within your budget and consider whether you need additional accessories, such as an amplifier or effects pedals.

3. How does the sound of an electric violin compare to that of an acoustic violin?

The sound of an electric violin is different from that of an acoustic violin. Electric violins produce a more amplified and electronically manipulated sound, while acoustic violins have a more natural and organic sound. The sound of an electric violin can also be altered through effects pedals, whereas the sound of an acoustic violin is solely dependent on the player's technique.

4. Can I use my traditional violin skills on an electric violin?

Yes, you can use your traditional violin skills on an electric violin. The fingerboard and strings are the same as those on an acoustic violin, so your technique will translate. However, you may need to make some adjustments due to the differences in weight, balance, and sound.

5. How do I maintain and care for an electric violin?

Caring for an electric violin is similar to caring for an acoustic violin. You should keep it in a secure case when not in use and wipe it down after each use to remove any rosin buildup. You should also check and replace the strings regularly and have it professionally serviced when needed. Additionally, make sure to properly store and protect any cables or effects pedals that come with the instrument.