What should the speed of a pion be

In summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of a second particle in Earth's frame based on its velocity relative to the first particle. The addition formula for velocities is used, where the corresponding subscripts for the two particles are added together. The difficulty lies in the ambiguity of the wording regarding the direction of the second particle's velocity, resulting in two possible solutions.
annalian

Homework Statement

The speed of a particle in Earth's frame is 0.4 c. A second particle goes away from the first one with speed 0.6 c. What is the speed of the second particle in Earth's frame?

Homework Equations

u=(u'+v)/(1+u'v/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think v=0.4 c and u'=-0.6, but as I use the above equation the solution is not 0.8 c(as it is in my book). If I put v=-0.6 and u=0.4 then the solution is 0.8 c. Which one is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a hard time figuring out what primes and unprimes and u's and v's all mean. That's why with problems like this I use the double subscript method.
Let
VAE = velocity of object A relative to E (E stands for Earth)
VBE = velocity of object B relative to E
VBA = velocity of object B relative to A
The addition formula then is
$$V_{BE}=\frac{V_{AE}+V_{BA}}{1+V_{AE}V_{BA}/c^2}$$
The mnemonic is that you add together the velocities that have the same subscript appearing both on the left and the right. In this case this subscript is "A". Once you set up the equation this way, you substitute the numbers and solve for the unknown which might or might not be on the left side of the equation.

kuruman said:
I have a hard time figuring out what primes and unprimes and u's and v's all mean. That's why with problems like this I use the double subscript method.
Let
VAE = velocity of object A relative to E (E stands for Earth)
VBE = velocity of object B relative to E
VBA = velocity of object B relative to A
The addition formula then is
$$V_{BE}=\frac{V_{AE}+V_{BA}}{1+V_{AE}V_{BA}/c^2}$$
The mnemonic is that you add together the velocities that have the same subscript appearing both on the left and the right. In this case this subscript is "A". Once you set up the equation this way, you substitute the numbers and solve for the unknown which might or might not be on the left side of the equation.
I did it and vBE=-0.26c, not 0.8c as written in the book

annalian said:
A second particle goes away from the first one with speed 0.6 c.
Your difficulty is in the above statement which is ambiguous. Imagine yourself being an observer sitting on particle A. There are two possibilities
1. You see B ahead of you "going away at speed 0.6c" in which VBA = +0.6c
2. You see B behind you "going away at speed 0.6c" in which VBA = -0.6c

Given the wording of the problem either answer can be correct. The problem should have given a velocity, not a speed.

1. What is a pion and why is its speed important?

A pion is a type of subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. Its speed is important because it can provide insight into the fundamental properties of matter and contribute to our understanding of the universe.

2. How is the speed of a pion measured?

The speed of a pion can be measured using particle accelerators, which accelerate the pion to high speeds and then measure its velocity using detectors.

3. What factors affect the speed of a pion?

The speed of a pion can be affected by the energy of the particle accelerator, the strength of magnetic fields, and interactions with other particles.

4. What is the current accepted value for the speed of a pion?

The current accepted value for the speed of a pion is approximately 0.999877c, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

5. How does the speed of a pion compare to the speed of light?

The speed of a pion is very close to the speed of light, but it is not as fast. Photons, which are particles of light, travel at the speed of light, while pions have a slightly lower speed due to their mass and interactions with other particles.