What is the appropriate sigma value for statistical significance?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the appropriate significance level for taking results in a project with 120,000 sources. The person had initially set it at 3 sigma, but there is a 1 in 500 chance of getting this result by chance. They are looking for a table to compare sigma with the probability of random occurrence, but are having trouble finding it. They are also seeking advice on what significance level to aim for, possibly 1 in 1,000,000. Suggestions are needed due to their lack of understanding in statistics.
leonmate
I'm working on a project where I have about 120,000 sources and my supervisor has told me to work out what significance to use for taking results.

I had set it at 3 sigma. But there's roughly 1 in 500 chance that we will get a 3 sigma result by chance.

I've been looking for a table to compare the sigma with probability of random occurrence, but I don't think I'm typing the right thing into google or something because I can't find what I'm after!

Also, any recommendations on what I should be going for would be great, 1 in 1,000,000 chance? more or less? I'm not really sure what I should do here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, my understanding of statistics is lacking :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with 120,000 sources?
What what is the "significance to use for taking results"? Why don't you look at the distribution of deviations, and see if it agrees with the expectations?

For normal distributions, wikipedia has a table,and WolframAlpha also understands the concept.

Related to What is the appropriate sigma value for statistical significance?

1. What is a sigma value?

A sigma value, also known as standard deviation, is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its average value. It tells us how much the data deviates from the mean.

2. How do I determine the appropriate sigma value to use?

The appropriate sigma value to use depends on the specific data set and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, a sigma value of 1 is used for data that is normally distributed. However, for data that is not normally distributed, a larger sigma value may be needed to capture the majority of the data points.

3. Can I use a sigma value of 0?

No, a sigma value of 0 is not appropriate to use as it indicates that there is no variation in the data set. This is highly unlikely and would not accurately represent the data.

4. What happens if I use a sigma value that is too small?

If a sigma value that is too small is used, it may not capture enough of the data points and lead to an inaccurate representation of the data. This could result in incorrect conclusions being drawn from the analysis.

5. Is there a standard or recommended sigma value to use?

There is no standard or recommended sigma value to use, as it depends on the specific data and the purpose of the analysis. It is important to carefully consider the data and choose a sigma value that accurately represents the variability in the data set.