Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What software would be good for writing a book?

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    What software would be good for writing a book?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2
    I should ask, what kind of book do you mean?

There is a far cry between a physics textbook and a pulp fiction novel, which would require entirely different resources.

For the latter all you would need would be a standard word processor like MS Word.

For the former its more complicated.
  4. Mar 7, 2005 #3
    Latex is great for both.

5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    Well, i m finding one for writing physics book
  6. Mar 7, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus

This is what I use:

The only thing is that the windows version isn't as feature filled as the linux/unix versions.

The program is great because I can start a matlab session right inside of the document itself.
  7. Mar 9, 2005 #6
    Depends on whether you want to write a novel to make your living off of or you just want to write a story for fun or something. Usually, unless you are really serious about publishing your book, the default text application (word on windows and whatevertheyuse on mac) should work fine.
  8. Mar 17, 2005 #7
    On the way of testing the software, i found another few softwares. One of them is Scientific's Software, u can check it out here http://licensing.mackichan.com/

Anyone using this software, or do u hav any idea abt it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?