What sort of engineering is best for this?

In summary: Some people do work at the plants, but it is more common for materials engineers to work on the design of the plant, the machines, and the materials that are used in the plant.
drailing
I want to work in massive industrial scenarios - power plants, oil refineries, steel mills, oil rigs, etc.

Now I know that there are probably multiple that are more specialized for each of these, but is there one engineering that sort of encompasses all of these and would allow one to have a selection at it?

Also, would a school like UC Berkeley be OK to move into these industries?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of work?

Civil/structural engineering would be used in the design of such facilities. Oil rigs would require a specialty of marine engineering.

Construction engineering would be used in the construction of such facilities.

Chemical, Mechanical and industrial engineering applies to the processes used in such facilities, including the process, the machinery and control systems.

Electrical engineering would apply to the electrical systems used in such facilities.

Would any of them be directly involved at the plants? Ie. working there?

drailing said:

I worked in a massive industrial brewery for my first job after undergrad. I had a BS in Electrical Engineering from UC Davis, so that's one data point. I was working on maintaining and installing production equipment.

A friend of mine with a BS in Chemical Engineering from UC Davis got his first job at the huge Tesco Oil Refinery in Martinez, CA, so either education works. The key is to get an internship in the kind of situation you want.

Why do you want to work in a plant? Let me tell you, wearing ear plugs and safety glasses all the time gets old! Also, I hated wearing a coat in the brewhouse and then melting when I stepped outside in the 100 degree heat. I'm very much enjoying sitting on my butt in front of a computer these days.

Control Engineering or Industrial Engineering is really close to the action and is heavily involved in operational needs. Those who engineer control systems decide what kinds of sensors, what kinds of valves, what sorts of control systems, SCADA systems, and reporting systems to use. Berkley doesn't have a control systems program. Few schools do. I suggest using an Electrical Engineering curriculum instead with emphasis on power engineering instead.

Alternatively, Industrial Engineering can involve many aspects having to do with process design, predictive maintenance, failure mode analysis, and so on. The latter appears to be available at Berkley.

I'm partial to Control Engineering, only because I am a registered Control Engineer. In any case, I recommend student membership in ISA, the International Society for Automation to get some idea of what Control Engineering is all about.

Good Luck!

drailing said:
Yes - but some jobs, e.g., construction or installation are temprorary, and others, e.g., operations, are more long term or permanent.

Some engineers work in an office and visit a site temporarily for some period dealing with construction of the facility or installation of some equipment. These would construction, mechanical, electrical engineers. They would move from project to project and from site to site accordingly.

The folks involved in operations work a particular plant, but might get moved to a different or new plant depending on the skills.

It sounds like you want to get into manufacturing..

A industrial/manufacturing engineer can be involved with the plant operations and how things are handled.

You can even specialize.

We just hired a manufacturing engineer who specialized in electrical.

drailing said:

Materials Engineering.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering involves designing and building mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on designing and developing electrical systems, such as power generators, circuits, and communication devices.

2. Is software engineering considered a type of engineering?

Yes, software engineering is a type of engineering that involves designing, developing, and maintaining software systems. It combines principles of computer science, mathematics, and engineering to create efficient and reliable software solutions.

3. Which type of engineering is best for creating sustainable solutions?

There are a few different types of engineering that can contribute to creating sustainable solutions. Environmental engineering focuses on reducing the negative impact of human activities on the environment. Civil engineering is involved in designing and building infrastructure that is environmentally friendly, such as green buildings and sustainable transportation systems. Chemical engineering can also play a role in developing environmentally friendly processes and products.

4. Can I switch from one type of engineering to another?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one type of engineering to another. Many engineering programs offer a general first year, allowing students to explore different types of engineering before choosing a specialization. Additionally, many engineering skills are transferable, so it is possible to switch between fields with some additional education or training.

5. Which type of engineering has the most job opportunities?

This can vary depending on factors such as location, industry demand, and economic conditions. However, some of the engineering fields with consistently high demand and job opportunities include software engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering. It is important to research the job market and demand in your specific area of interest before making a decision on which type of engineering to pursue.