What species does this insect belong to?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of an unknown insect, which is thought to be a moth or carpet beetle larvae. The individual seeking help lives in Spain and it is currently fall. They provide more details about the insect, such as its size, color, and location. Suggestions are made to feed the insect and possible sources of food are discussed. A potential identification is suggested as well as resources for further information. The individual decides to move the insect to a cooler location and thanks the person who identified it.
Barreraabc
I just found this insect and I don't know what is it. It seems to be the larva of a fly or maybe a little butterfly. I live in Spain so it is fall. What should I do with it?

insect.jpg

Attachments

• insect.jpg
    insect.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Barreraabc said:
I just found this insect and I don't know what is it. It seems to be the larva of a fly or maybe a little butterfly. I live in Spain so it is fall. What should I do with it?

View attachment 233713
This may be some kind of moth larvae.By the way,what is the substance around it?

It might be the larva of a carpet beetle.

Likes Barreraabc and 256bits
Looks somewhat like a pillbug (an isopod, not an insect) to me, but can't really tell from the picture.

Need more information:
Where did you find it?
Size?
Is it aquatic or terrestrial (can't tell from picture)?
Does it have legs? How many? Insects have 6 legs when mature.
Is it flat or round in cross section?

Young physicist said:
This may be some kind of moth larvae.By the way,what is the substance around it?
It's in a cristal plate. I took the picture with the smartphone's camera through a x21 microscope

BillTre said:
Looks somewhat like a pillbug (an isopod, not an insect) to me, but can't really tell from the picture.

Need more information:
Where did you find it?
Size?
Is it aquatic or terrestrial (can't tell from picture)?
Does it have legs? How many? Insects have 6 legs when mature.
Is it flat or round in cross section?
I found it in the wall of my room (I live in a flat near a river)
It's about 4-5 mm long and 1'5 mm wide.
It seems to be terrestrial.
It has 6 legs in the upper half and it's yellowish white below.
The shape is like a flattened cylinder.

I don't want to leave it on the street how I fed it? :cry:

Barreraabc said:
It has 6 legs in the upper half
Could be an insect larvae.

Barreraabc said:
I don't want to leave it on the street how I fed it? :cry:
You would have to know what it eats to feed it.
Figuring that out might be pretty difficult. Larvae and adults often eat different things.
It would probably do best if you put it outside, on some vegetation.
Then it might find its food on its own. It what animals do.

Attachments

• 220px-Anthrenus_verbasci_-_larva_side_%28aka%29.jpg
    220px-Anthrenus_verbasci_-_larva_side_%28aka%29.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 728
Likes YoungPhysicist, Barreraabc, OmCheeto and 1 other person
256bits said:
Certainly looks like it.

Insect identification PDF
http://robdunnlab.com/wp-content/uploads/Final_AOHGuide.pdf
See Pg 4 and then Pg 16View attachment 233776
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varied_carpet_beetle

Some more info
https://www.orkincanada.ca/pests/beetles/carpet-beetles/Some carpet!
Any natural fabric.
Thank you very much!
I also read that they live much more longer in low temperatures so I'm moving it to the window's ledge, waiting for the spring. "Adults feed on the pollen and nectar of flowering plants" according wikipedia.
Thanks to this discovery now I will know what to do if see more of them in my home :rolleyes:

Barreraabc said:
Thank you very much!
I also read that they live much more longer in low temperatures so I'm moving it to the window's ledge, waiting for the spring. "Adults feed on the pollen and nectar of flowering plants" according wikipedia.
Thanks to this discovery now I will know what to do if see more of them in my home :rolleyes:
Well, the thanks should go to @Lord Jestocost for coming up with the ID suggestion.

Likes Barreraabc

1. What is the process for identifying the species of an insect?

The process for identifying the species of an insect typically involves observing the physical characteristics, behavior, and habitat of the insect, as well as consulting scientific resources such as identification keys and taxonomic databases.

2. How do scientists classify insects into different species?

Insects are classified into different species based on their physical characteristics, genetic information, and evolutionary relationships. This process is known as taxonomy and involves grouping organisms into categories such as genus, family, order, and class.

3. Can an insect belong to multiple species?

No, an insect can only belong to one species. Species are defined as a group of organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. If two insects can successfully reproduce and their offspring can also reproduce, then they belong to the same species.

4. How many insect species are there in the world?

It is estimated that there are over 1 million known species of insects in the world. However, scientists believe that there may be many more species that have not yet been discovered or classified.

5. Are there any common characteristics that all insect species share?

While there is a great diversity among insect species, there are a few common characteristics that all insects share. These include a three-part body (head, thorax, and abdomen), six legs, and two antennae. However, there are some exceptions to these characteristics, such as flightless insects and those with reduced or modified body parts.