Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What strange things have you eaten?

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I was offered an Ostrich meal but i could not bring my self to order it, yet when abroad i ate several things with no idea what they were:eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I can tell what I didn't eat. Once on a bowling evening someone from the neighboring track offered some grasshoppers he brought from Thailand. A few of us tasted it. Not me.
    Once being in France I ordered something I did not know what it was. I thought you can't do much wrong in France. It turned out to be kidneys which I normally don't eat. Nevertheless, they tasted fine.
    And by the way, what I've always wanted to ask someone who might know: Why is breakfast in English hotels called 'continental'? Firstly, it's not. It's a mixture of English and American breakfast, maybe with some french touch. Secondly, breakfast differs a lot on 'the continent' depending on where you are. So where the hack did this expression come from?

4. Jan 23, 2016 #3
    I tasted canned crickets. They were OK, a bit like chips (crisps).
    I also tasted cooked pork (or beef? I don't know) tongue and beef stomach, but that's really not so exotic.
    And I had an octopus in Croatia.
    I think I would try anything, maybe except for snake, because I'm afraid of them even if it was cooked :) And of course I would refuse protected species for ethical reasons.

5. Jan 23, 2016 #4

Borek

6. Jan 23, 2016 #5
    Oh, I think I once watched video of someone eating that. They puked immediately, it was disgusting! :DDD
    Ok, I wouldn't eat that :)

7. Jan 23, 2016 #6

fresh_42

8. Jan 23, 2016 #7

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

The strangest thing I've eaten was deep-fried alligator meat, as an appetizer at a seafood restaurant years ago (btw, it tastes exactly like fried chicken).

I've also eaten a type of stew containing venison in Quebec a few years ago, which was actually quite good, but I'm not sure if any of you would consider venison (i.e. deer meat) to be strange. Any hunters on this forum?

9. Jan 23, 2016 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I do not know the origins of a continental breakfast but.A hotel breakfast that may include sliced bread with butter/jam/honey, cheese, meat, croissants, pastries, rolls, fruit juice and various hot beverages. It is served commonly in the continental Europe, North America, and elsewhere, as opposed to the English breakfast served commonly in the UK. See also American breakfast.

An English breakfast may include, sausages, bacon, eggs, tomato, beans, fried potatoes, fried bread, black pudding, toast with jam or marmalade, deviled kidneys, kippers.

10. Jan 23, 2016 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Perhaps it's my own bias, but I don't consider octopus to be particularly strange. But then again I am half-Japanese, and fried octopus is a delicacy in Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki

11. Jan 23, 2016 #10
    Living cockroach, but I don't remember the taste.

*Place Nutrition Facts of living cockroach here*

12. Jan 23, 2016 #11

wolram

Gold Member

It is chewing the tentacles, they will not go down they stick in my mouth:eek:

13. Jan 23, 2016 #12

wolram

Gold Member

14. Jan 23, 2016 #13
    I ate venison sausage and it was delicious!

15. Jan 23, 2016 #14

Borek

While I ate octopus on several occasions in Croatia I still haven't tried a particular variant - hobotnica pod pekom (or hobotnica ispod peke, not sure which is a correct Croatian name of the dish - hobotnica means octopus, peka is kind of metal cover using while roasting, "ispod" or "pod" means more or less "under", so the name refers to the way the dish is prepared; could be both names are correct, just there is a grammatical difference between uses).

16. Jan 23, 2016 #15
    yep, I know it is very common in cousines near the sea. I'm writing from my pork and sausage-eating point of view :)

17. Jan 23, 2016 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I have eaten black pudding, congealed blood plus fat and other stuff, how horrible is that?

18. Jan 23, 2016 #17

Borek

Oh, and things like kidneys and beef tongue I cook at least once a year - I happen to like them. They are definitely part of a Polish cuisine, although they were probably more popular between the poor working class (yes, fact that I remember them from my childhood says a thing about my paternal Grandmother's family).

19. Jan 23, 2016 #18
    omg yuck :/ But it's probably a very good source of iron :D How does it taste?

20. Jan 23, 2016 #19

Borek

21. Jan 23, 2016 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook