What the hell is wrong with this?

• Thread starter LucasGB
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about a mistake in an equation that involves dot products and components of a vector. The mistake is due to the incorrect use of signs, which is corrected by using the correct angles in the calculations. One person thanks the other for pointing out the mistake and praises them for teaching them something new.
LucasGB
What the hell is wrong with this?! :)

I just can't spot the mistake! Please see if you can.

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry, I forgot the attachment.

Attachments

• Curl.jpg
    Curl.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 349

In your first equation, both the dz parts have the wrong sign. Remember, you are going anti-clockwise, so the first dz-part moves in the negative z-direction, so it should be negative, not positive. The same (or rather, opposite) goes for the other dz-part at x=0.

EDIT: Don't be fooled by the way the arrows are drawed. If E_z is positive in the second term, then it points backward in comparison to the direction of the path, and will therefore contribute negatively, hence the correct expression is -E_z*dz

Torquil

torquil said:
In your first equation, both the dz parts have the wrong sign. Remember, you are going anti-clockwise, so the first dz-part moves in the negative z-direction, so it should be negative, not positive. The same (or rather, opposite) goes for the other dz-part at x=0.

EDIT: Don't be fooled by the way the arrows are drawed. If E_z is positive in the second term, then it points backward in comparison to the direction of the path, and will therefore contribute negatively, hence the correct expression is -E_z*dz

Torquil

But I don't think the signs are wrong. It follows from the properties of dot products. Please check the attachment.

Attachments

• Dot products.jpg
    Dot products.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 330

Please check the attachment.
Sorry, LucasGB, this may sound stupid, but yes, please check the attachment.

Ich said:
Sorry, LucasGB, this may sound stupid, but yes, please check the attachment.

LOL. Oh my God, these subscripts are driving me crazy!

In the last equation, the second term in the sum must be (E2z)(dz).

I truly hope that's the only obvious mistake we're talking about.

No I'm pretty sure the signs are wrong. In your second calculation the error manifests itself like this:

Notice how you have defined your angles. Your first and second equation is correct. But when you write it in terms of the components E_x and E_z you are using the wrong sign for both the E_z's.

E.g. the second term: You have defined the theta angle to be the angle between E_2 and -dz. Therefore |E_2|cos(theta) is -E_{2z}, not E_{2z}. The opposite goes for the other E_z part.

You get the component E_z of a vector E by doing |E|cos(theta) where theta is the angle between the vector and the "positively pointing" z-axis. Your are assuming the opposite for the two parts that are related to z-components.

Torquil

That's perfect. I can totally see it now. Thank you very much, torquil, you're the man!

I just learned something new!

1. What exactly is wrong with this situation?

Without more context, it is difficult to determine what specifically may be wrong. It could be a technical issue, a problem with a process or procedure, or even a subjective issue. It is important to provide more information in order to accurately identify and address the problem.

2. How did this issue occur?

There could be a variety of reasons for the issue at hand. It could be due to a mistake, a malfunction, or a lack of understanding. It is important to investigate and gather information in order to determine the cause and prevent similar issues from happening in the future.

3. Can this issue be fixed?

Depending on the nature of the issue and its severity, it may be possible to fix it. Some issues may require simple adjustments or troubleshooting, while others may require more extensive solutions. It is important to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

4. How long will it take to resolve this issue?

The time it takes to resolve an issue can vary greatly. It may depend on the complexity of the issue, the availability of resources, and the cooperation of those involved. It is important to communicate and manage expectations with all parties involved to ensure a timely resolution.

5. What can be done to prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

If the cause of the issue has been identified, steps can be taken to prevent it from occurring again. This could include implementing new processes or procedures, providing additional training, or making necessary updates or repairs. It is important to continuously evaluate and improve in order to prevent future issues.