What thermistor?

1. I'm thinking about buying a tp4056 and I'm wondering what thermistor I should buy. I looked at the data sheet and it said a [STRIKE]new[/STRIKE] NTC but that was it. So I went online to find one and I noticed they have resistance and I don't know which one to get. Could someone help me figure this out?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. When I said new I meant ntc.

4. consult the tp4056 datashhet.

basically you need the operation point(s) of thermistor's resistance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  5. davenn

davenn 3,811
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

The datasheet isn't specific about the type of thermistor etc

Actually, all it indicates is that it makes use of the thermistor that is already part of the battery pack

cheers
    Dave

6. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thermistor needs to be integral with the battery so it knows the temperature reliably. You don't need to buy one; it's there already.

7. Where is it?

8. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would expect to find more than two contacts in the battery. The thermistor would be between two of them.

9. I don't think we are talking about the same battery. What battery are you talking about?

10. davenn

davenn 3,811
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

show us a pic of YOUR battery and also a datasheet for it would help too

As I said in my first post, the thermistor is usually incorporated as part of the battery

Dave

11. Datasheet for the battery?

12. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. Or at least a picture of the contacts.

13. There's the battery and datasheet

Attached Files:

14. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see, now. We have been at cross purposes. I (/we) were assuming that you were talking of the type of LiIon battery pack you get in cameras, mobile radios etc.. These are in a (8V or whatever) pack with their own protection circuitry included and sometimes have several contacts on the sealed pack which interface with the 'special' charger. They usually cut off when the volts get low and cannot be recharged without opening the case or getting at them in some way.
    Energiser (the company) supply their own chargers which will be their own design and may or may not include your charger IC. The value of the thermistor will probably be difficult to find out without opening up an Energiser charger and trying to read the legend on the side of the thermistor (probably some obscure number) and the IC may well have a similarly unhelpful type marking on it. They probably don't want you to copy their unit.
    The chargers that come with electronic gear are also probably full of components with weird numbers on - and for the same reason. The manufacturers of batteries and chargers are not interested in being helpful - unlike the manufacturers of chips who want to sell them to as many people as possible.
    LiIon batteries are a bit dodgy to charge if you don't have the right information about them. I'm sure it's not really as bad as all that but I would be inclined to do the charging in a suitable box to contain any leaks or explosions, during the experimental stage.
    I just wonder if it's really worth while trying to save on the cost of buying a ready made charger. The Energiser ones are pretty cheap.

15. I'm not really trying to save money on a charger in teeing to make a portable cellphone charger. When is out of battery I want it to be able to charge at someone's house with a usb. It's for accessibility not for a cheap way of charging. So you're saying that I cannot charge those batteries with the tp4056?

16. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have a cellphone with those Energiser Cells in it? That's pretty unusual, I think.

17. I messed up. Im making a cell phone charger with those batteries in it. Those batteries will recharge the 3.7v li - ion battery in the phone.

18. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK. So why not charge those energisers with an energiser charger and avoid a lot of aggravation? The phone will take care of itself as long as you give it some volts. Though, charging as fast as possible needs some cleverness in the USB connector, I believe. I remember getting my knuckles rapped when I referred to USB type charging as a 'trivial' exercise.
    There's more of the black arts than you realise here, I think. You just don't know enough about the battery characteristics to do this safely.

If you are at someone's house. won't they have mains for a mains phone charger? Personally, I'm all for an easy life and that sounds like the ideal solution. Now, if you were camping in the wilderness . . . . . .

19. Well I was hoping to put in a solar panel also and the reason why I want a usb port for charging is because sometimes I'm at a friends house and we go somewhere. So for convenience I want it to charge at my friends house. Not everyone has a battery charger.

20. sophiecentaur

sophiecentaur 13,779
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know it's up to you and some projects are just fun to do but you could just as easily carry a mains charger as your battery charger. It is true that a nice fat source of DC charge would extend your talk time usefully, at times. I still think the DIY solution for the Energiser charging could be more of problem than you imagine. All the things you need are actually off the shelf (and not very expensive either).

21. Ok so I want to build this. Talking to you had put a little doubt in my mind. So my question is if the tp4056 will charge the ultimate lithium batteries safely?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?