What thyristor, triac, diode, transistor for an amateur?

In summary, the conversation discusses a beginner's interest in learning about electronics and their plan to play with various components using batteries, wires, and a multimeter. They are also planning to purchase a breadboard but are unsure of what specific components they should buy. The other person suggests looking into starter kits as they provide all the necessary parts and instructions for building projects and learning about different components. They also provide an example from eBay and mention that there are different options available depending on budget.
trickybilly
Beginner here. Learning about electronics. I would like to play with a thyristor, triac, diode, transistor, diode bridge, etc. using 1,5-9V batteries, wires, multimeter. I am buying a breadboard too. What kind of these you recommend for that purpose? There is a wide variety on the shelves please give approximate specifications.

Engineering news on Phys.org
trickybilly said:
There is a wide variety on the shelves please give approximate specifications.

that depends on what you want to build

how about getting into some starter kits ... all the parts and schematic are supplied
you just have to do the activity of putting it together ands making it work and in the process learning about
the different components and how to recognise them and what function they perform :smile:

here's one of many examples from ebay ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electronic-Starter-Kit-for-Beginners-including-projects-Shipping-Included-/182313739531?hash=item2a72bee50b:g:BJoAAOSwh2xYAMvs
dunno what your budget is ? there are cheaper ones and there are more expensive onesDave

In Serbia, unfortunately I could not find any premade starter kits. However I tend to ask the salesman. Sometimes they miss (got me a 1 microFarad capacitor - what to do with that, while I needed 1000 microFarad for lighting LEDS). That´s why I need information on what to buy.

1. What is a thyristor?

A thyristor is a type of semiconductor device that can control the flow of electric current by acting as a switch. It has three terminals - an anode, a cathode, and a gate - and is commonly used in power control applications.

2. What is a triac?

A triac is also a type of semiconductor device that can control the flow of electric current. It is similar to a thyristor, but it has three terminals that allow it to control both AC and DC currents. Triacs are commonly used in dimmer switches and motor speed controllers.

3. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It has two terminals - an anode and a cathode - and is commonly used in rectifier circuits to convert AC current to DC current.

4. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. It has three terminals - a source, a drain, and a gate - and is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers and radios.

5. Can an amateur use these devices?

While these devices may seem complex, they can certainly be used by amateurs. With proper research and understanding, amateurs can learn how to use these devices in various electronic circuits and projects. However, it is important to handle these devices with caution as they can be easily damaged if not used correctly.