What to ask the lecturer before taking his course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, if a student wants to do well in a course, they should ask the lecturer beforehand about the course and make sure they have a solid understanding of the prerequisite material. However, simply having credit for the prerequisites may not always be enough, as it is important to have a strong foundation and understanding of the material. It is up to the student to determine if they need to discuss with the lecturer about how to succeed in the course. It is also important to make sure the prerequisite material is relevant to the course, as not all aspects of the prerequisites may be applicable.
pivoxa15
If a student wanted to do well for a course, he should ask the lecturer before hand about the course and prepare for it before the semester. What sort of questions should the student ask the lecturer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The student usually does not need to ask the "lecturer" anything about how to prepare for the course. The student needs to have (hopefully recent) credit in the prerequisites for the course. If the student is in doubt after being informed on the prerequisites, then the student could ask the "lecturer" of the intended course.

My own opinion about something like fundamental physics of Electricity & Magnetism is that merely having passed your Calc II course might not be enough to perform well in this E&M course. Having more mathematical applied maturity with the Calc II and analytical geometry are very very useful in ensuring good success and good learning. You would believe that the prerequisite courses are enough - but not always if you are weak at solving analytic geometry and calculus problems, or if you are still inexperienced doing so. For me, E&M at that level was a struggle. I could have done better if I would have repeated it, since I also restudied Calc II. In short, prerequisite course credit alone is not always enough.

It is still up to you if you want to discuss how to succeed in the course with the "lecturer" (I assume you mean "instructor" or "professor").

When I decided to ditch engineering and pursue English, a friend of mine alerted me to a course that was being offered to senior and graduate students in philosophy. The course was being offered by the head of the department, and it was intended to be a critical review of his book-in-process on the subject of meta-ethics. I approached Dr. Skorpen and asked if I could audit his course, and he asked if I could give him 15 minutes of my time during lunch. We talked for over 3 hours, and I got to take his course for full credit, and never had to take a 10x course in philosophy. I fell right into a double-major in English Lit and Philosophy. Ability and ambition can do a lot for you, if you're ready to push.

Last edited:
I would never ask the lecturer. Bad ones lie and good ones tell the true. You just have no way of telling who's who.

symbolipoint said:
The student usually does not need to ask the "lecturer" anything about how to prepare for the course. The student needs to have (hopefully recent) credit in the prerequisites for the course. If the student is in doubt after being informed on the prerequisites, then the student could ask the "lecturer" of the intended course.

My own opinion about something like fundamental physics of Electricity & Magnetism is that merely having passed your Calc II course might not be enough to perform well in this E&M course. Having more mathematical applied maturity with the Calc II and analytical geometry are very very useful in ensuring good success and good learning. You would believe that the prerequisite courses are enough - but not always if you are weak at solving analytic geometry and calculus problems, or if you are still inexperienced doing so. For me, E&M at that level was a struggle. I could have done better if I would have repeated it, since I also restudied Calc II. In short, prerequisite course credit alone is not always enough.

It is still up to you if you want to discuss how to succeed in the course with the "lecturer" (I assume you mean "instructor" or "professor").

JasonRox said:
I would never ask the lecturer. Bad ones lie and good ones tell the true. You just have no way of telling who's who.

Experience tells me that doing the subject beforehand is essential for success, unless if you have nailed the prereqs which I clearly haven't.

pivoxa15 said:
Experience tells me that doing the subject beforehand is essential for success, unless if you have nailed the prereqs which I clearly haven't.

You admit yourself that you are not comfortable with the pre-requisites, so surely that tells you what to prepare for before the class! You should make sure you know all you should know before you try and learn anything new.

cristo said:
You admit yourself that you are not comfortable with the pre-requisites, so surely that tells you what to prepare for before the class! You should make sure you know all you should know before you try and learn anything new.

I use to think that way but when I told it to an academic, he said make sure it's relevant. In other words make sure the basic material is relevant to the subject. Not everything in the prereq subject is relevant to the existing subject. i.e Algebra is a prereq for algebraic topology. But 1/3 of the contents in my algebra course was on rings which is irrelevant to a basic course in algebraic topology.

Related to What to ask the lecturer before taking his course?

1. What is the course about?

The course is about [insert topic here]. It will cover [insert specific topics or concepts].

2. What are the prerequisites for this course?

The prerequisites for this course are [insert prerequisite courses or knowledge]. It is important to have a strong foundation in these areas before taking this course.

3. What teaching methods will be used in this course?

The teaching methods for this course will include [insert teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, group work, etc.]. The exact methods may vary depending on the topic being covered.

4. What materials or textbooks will be required for this course?

The required materials for this course will be [insert required textbooks, articles, or other materials]. These materials will be essential for understanding and completing assignments for this course.

5. What are the expectations for assignments and exams?

The expectations for assignments and exams will be [insert expectations such as length, format, and due dates]. It is important to carefully review and follow these expectations to ensure success in the course.