Confused About My Future Career: Texas A&M Student

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's hesitation between choosing a career in Chemical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or Petroleum Engineering. The speaker is seeking advice on how to determine their future career, with Petroleum Engineering being suggested as a strong option due to its high salaries and proximity to Houston, where there are many potential internship opportunities. The conversation also mentions the potential growth and demand for Petroleum Engineering as oil becomes scarcer.
zinedine_88
HI I am hesitating now about CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, since it has so many applications, NUCLEAR , beacuse I am kind of interested in it, and maybe it will be HUGE in about 10 years or so, when there is no oil :D and PETROLEUM , because it has the highest salaries!

WHAT TO CHOOSE?
I am at Texas A&M. please tell me how to determine my future career. I am so confused and i don;t have much time to think about it. SO please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm since you got to A&M, Petroleum engineering wouldn't be a bad choice. I say that because you live right next to Houston. It shouldn't be hard to find an internship for Andarko, Exxon-Mobile, or Chervon.

Remember that as oil becomes harder to find, the investment in R+D and engineering to get it will go up.

1. What should I do if I'm confused about my future career?

It is completely normal to feel confused about your future career, especially as a student. The best thing to do is to explore your interests, values, and strengths to gain a better understanding of what career path may be a good fit for you.

2. Is it okay to change my major or career path?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to change your major or career path. It's important to find a career that aligns with your interests and passions, and it's okay if that takes some time to figure out. It's better to make a change now than to stick with something that doesn't make you happy in the long run.

3. How can I gain more clarity about my future career?

One way to gain more clarity is to talk to professionals in fields that interest you. You can also take personality and career assessments, as well as internships or job shadowing opportunities. Additionally, seeking guidance from a career counselor or advisor can also be helpful.

4. Should I follow my parents' or society's expectations for my career?

No, it's important to choose a career path that makes you happy and fulfilled, rather than following someone else's expectations. It's your life and your future, so make sure to choose a career that you are passionate about and will bring you personal satisfaction.

5. How can I make a decision about my future career?

Making a decision about your future career can be overwhelming, but it's important to approach it with a clear and logical mindset. Consider your interests, strengths, values, and future goals. Additionally, gather information about different careers and their job outlooks, salaries, and required education. Finally, trust your instincts and make a decision that feels right for you.