What to do about a bad independent study?

In summary, the speaker is taking an independent study with a new assistant professor who they believe only took them on to boost their number of undergrads, and has not provided much direction or guidance for their project. The speaker is feeling frustrated and worried about their grade, and regrets not researching the professor's capabilities more beforehand. They may need to communicate their needs and expectations to the professor and reach out to other students or faculty for support.
lubuntu
So I am taking a 1 credit independent study with a relatively new assistant professor who I am pretty sure only took me on to get a +1 on the his number of undergrads count and doesn't really have any time to advice me in anything or guide me.

Ostensibly I am working on an experiment he's is part of which is a big multi-school collaboration. He gave me some introductory papers about the physics and told me which software tools they are using but beyond that hasn't given me more direction. I asked him for a specific project to sort of organize my study around since the software tools he told me about are so huge that I don't really know where to start. He hasn't responded in a few weeks.

I know it is an independent study and I should be guiding myself at some level but am I wrong to expect something a bit more concrete? I am starting to regret it and worried about a possible grade for the class. I had a imagined research as being something where I would go into his lab a few hours and week and work on something with him or other undergrad and grad students. I guess I should have investigated a bit more on what he could offer me before hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are feeling a bit frustrated with the lack of direction and guidance that you have been receiving. You do have a right to expect more concrete direction from your professor, especially since you are taking on an independent study. It is important for you to communicate your needs and expectations to your professor so that they can better support you in your project. If you have already reached out to your professor and they have not responded, it would be beneficial for you to follow up with them and explain your concerns and ask if there are any specific projects or tasks that you can focus on. It may also be useful to reach out to other students or faculty that are involved with the project to see if they have any ideas or suggestions about how you can get started. Additionally, it could be helpful to research the software tools your professor has mentioned and look into any tutorials or other resources that could help you get started with your project. By taking initiative and doing your own research, you will be showing your professor that you are committed to the project and are taking steps to make progress. Good luck with your independent study!

1. What are the signs of a bad independent study?

Some signs of a bad independent study include lack of clear objectives, poor communication with the advisor, and insufficient resources or support.

2. How can I address a bad independent study?

If you feel that your independent study is not meeting your expectations, it is important to communicate your concerns with your advisor. Together, you can discuss potential solutions such as adjusting the scope of the project or seeking additional resources.

3. Can I switch to a new independent study if mine is not going well?

In some cases, it may be possible to switch to a new independent study if your current one is not working out. However, this will depend on your school's policies and availability of other projects or advisors.

4. How can I make the most of a bad independent study?

Even if your independent study is not going as expected, there are still ways to make the most of the experience. Focus on learning new skills or gaining valuable research experience, and communicate with your advisor to see if there are any alternative projects or tasks you can work on.

5. What should I do if my advisor is the cause of the bad independent study?

If your advisor is the main reason for your bad independent study experience, it is important to communicate your concerns with them and try to find a resolution. If the issue cannot be resolved, you may need to seek guidance from a department chair or academic advisor for further assistance.