What to do with a bachelors in physics? Any ideas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's decision to pursue a degree in physics and their uncertainty about how to utilize it after graduation. The other person suggests reading a book and creating a skills-based resume to improve job prospects, as a degree alone may not be enough to impress employers.
Yossi Halperin
I graduated with my degree in physics some time ago. I chose it because I thought it would provide me with a solid background. Now after I graduated I'm not sure what to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What skills do you have?

It almost certainly did provide you with a solid background in physics, critical thinking and studying for tests. What do you want to do with it?

Read "What Color is Your Parachute" and draft a skills-based resume.

Once you have a skills-based resume, you can post an informational excerpt here and ask for additional advice.

A Physics degree with a mediocre GPA from a mediocre institution is not worth the paper it is printed on. Too many schools have sacrificed academic rigor on the altar of federal funding and student evaluations, and employers know who they are.

1. What career options are available with a bachelor's degree in physics?

With a bachelor's degree in physics, you can pursue a variety of career options, such as working as a research scientist, data analyst, engineering consultant, or science teacher.

2. Can I work in a non-science related field with a bachelor's degree in physics?

Yes, a bachelor's degree in physics provides you with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries. You can work in fields such as finance, IT, or consulting.

3. Is a bachelor's degree in physics enough to get into graduate school?

While a bachelor's degree in physics is a good starting point, most graduate schools require a higher level of education, such as a master's or a doctorate, for admission. You may also need to have a strong academic record and relevant research experience.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should focus on during my bachelor's degree in physics?

In addition to the core physics concepts, it is beneficial to develop skills in mathematics, computer programming, and data analysis. These skills are highly sought after in various industries and can also help you in pursuing higher education.

5. What is the job outlook for someone with a bachelor's degree in physics?

The job outlook for individuals with a bachelor's degree in physics is generally positive. Physics graduates are in demand in fields such as healthcare, energy, technology, and defense. With the right skills and experience, you can expect to find employment opportunities in a variety of industries.