What to major in besides physics

In summary: B.S. in physics.In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student majoring in physics and is interested in pursuing graduate studies in material science or applied physics. They are considering double majoring in fields such as chemistry, computer science, math, or electrical engineering. They are seeking advice on which major would be the best for their future goals and how it would affect their admission chances for graduate programs. They are also interested in learning more about condensed matter physics and its interdisciplinary nature. Overall, the speaker is seeking guidance on how to prepare for their future career in material science research.
physucsc11
Hi, I am currently an undergraduate student at the sophomore level majoring in physics. I am not absolutely confident in this, but I think that in the future I would be
interested in going to graduate school doing something related to material science or maybe applied physics. Nanotech and condensed matter physics sound very interesting to me.

In my university, there isn't a materials science engineering program, nor is there a serious applied physics program, considering UC Santa Cruz specialized primarily in astrophysics and cosmology. What do you guys think would be the best double major for me? I will have plenty of time to get a second major (or minor), and my interests are very general. The majors that I have been considering are chemistry, computer science, math, and electrical engineering ( although not interested in it). This is what santa cruz offers that could potentially be a good double major for me. What do you guys think would be the best out of these as a bridge to doing what I wish to do in grad school? Also, how helpful would a second major in any of these be to a physics major in getting accepted to say a materials science program or applied physics program, or any sort of engineering program, for grad school?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Having received no replies so far, I searched the forums for answers to my question.
However, after extensive searching I still have not found any specific information about my question, especially regarding the physics and chemistry double major.

Maybe I should restate my question. I've read that some graduate engineering programs will accept applicants with a physics degree. However I am trying to figure out whether
double majoring in chemistry (or the other 3 i named) will first of all: help my admission
chances considering I am not applying with an engineering degree, and lastly, whether it would benefit studies in a materials science/ condensed matter/ applied physics graduate program.

Also, would an electrical engineering degree be of benefit showing the grad-school engineering department that I not only know physics but can also think like an engineer? Or would this only benefit me if I am going into EE as a graduate student?

So is there anything I can do to get somebody to reply to my post?

Could you major in physics, and look for a professor who does condensed matter research and work for him? Or are all the prof. just astro and cosmetology?

There are plenty of condensed matter researchers and professors at my campus. I definitely plan to engage in research in this area as a junior.

im just wondering, why do you like condensed matter research so much? I honestly don't knwo anything about it. I am stil ltakign intro courses and math, and they haven't covered it. I'm open to the field, btut I am curious what sparks ur interest so much?

physucsc11 said:
Maybe I should restate my question. I've read that some graduate engineering programs will accept applicants with a physics degree. However I am trying to figure out whether
double majoring in chemistry (or the other 3 i named) will first of all: help my admission
chances considering I am not applying with an engineering degree, and lastly, whether it would benefit studies in a materials science/ condensed matter/ applied physics graduate program.

Also, would an electrical engineering degree be of benefit showing the grad-school engineering department that I not only know physics but can also think like an engineer? Or would this only benefit me if I am going into EE as a graduate student?

whether of not it helps your admission chances, it is hard to say. But whether or not you can cope with the materials in the field once you are admitted is another matter. In my opinion, there should be some amount of overlap in the physics program that will help you do your engineering and vice-versa. Of course, if you had lots of knowledge on chemistry, material science/nanotech etc, you would find it easier to jump into a material engineering, fluid/chemcial engineering research, than say if you had studied astrophysics.

At the end of the day, if you work hard enough, you should be fine either way i think. If still unsure, talk to some current students.

RasslinGod said:
im just wondering, why do you like condensed matter research so much? I honestly don't knwo anything about it. I am stil ltakign intro courses and math, and they haven't covered it. I'm open to the field, btut I am curious what sparks ur interest so much?

What sparks my interest in condensed matter physics is that I think it is very interdisciplinary. I have always been interested in chemistry, and I have enjoyed thinking about things at the atomic scale and how they function. I think that condensed matter physics seems like the most applicable field of physics to this realm, especially to materials science (which is a blend of physics and chemistry). I can really see myself working on creating some new advanced materials as a researcher, maybe doing things at the nano-scale since it seems the future has a lot of advancement to make in that realm. I think that research in condensed matter physics is what really applies to the things I've mentioned.

mjsd said:
whether of not it helps your admission chances, it is hard to say. But whether or not you can cope with the materials in the field once you are admitted is another matter. In my opinion, there should be some amount of overlap in the physics program that will help you do your engineering and vice-versa. Of course, if you had lots of knowledge on chemistry, material science/nanotech etc, you would find it easier to jump into a material engineering, fluid/chemcial engineering research, than say if you had studied astrophysics.

At the end of the day, if you work hard enough, you should be fine either way i think. If still unsure, talk to some current students.
Thanks mjsd. Yes the optimal scenario of course would be if my school had a materials science engineering program, but it doesn't unfortunately. This is why I'm thinking of double majoring or maybe minoring in chemistry and taking a couple graduate level courses on nano-tech, and anything I can find close to materials science.

Also, you said it is hard to say if a double major in say physics + chemistry will help me get into a materials science graduate program. However, do you think that not having a materials science degree will put me at a disadvantage? I guess what I'm asking is, do they prefer to accept materials science engineering undergraduates, or those from the sciences such as physics or chem? I looked at a few websites, such as cornell's and uiuc's, and noticed that they say they will accept degree's not only from materials science, but from chemistry and physics and some others. However, it doesn't answer my question: holding which degree will give me a better chance to get admitted?

physucsc11 said:
However, do you think that not having a materials science degree will put me at a disadvantage? I guess what I'm asking is, do they prefer to accept materials science engineering undergraduates, or those from the sciences such as physics or chem? I looked at a few websites, such as cornell's and uiuc's, and noticed that they say they will accept degree's not only from materials science, but from chemistry and physics and some others. However, it doesn't answer my question: holding which degree will give me a better chance to get admitted?

whether they will admit you as a grad student is often a matter for the advisors to decide. You best bet is to email those ppl and ask. It is very hard for me to say one way or the other, since all faculties are different, the advisors there may do slightly different things, some may have projects that do not require a huge amount of background before you start doing something (eg. simulating a type of fluid flow in a special structure... all you need is how to solve differential equations, some programming skills and perhaps a few standard results to get started...).

Overall, good grades, a few good references from your current professors will be MORE important than having a background in proper material eng in my opinion. But remember do ask around, that's the best way to ascertain answers. cheers

Thanks I will give some of the schools I've been looking at a call.

Two majors aren't worth it! You'll spend all your time fulfilling requirements, and too little of it taking classes that actually interest you and give you a better picture of materials science. A lot of professors I've talked to seem to recognize this as well. Take several advanced undergrad/grad level classes in chemistry, EE, math, etc. and get a minor or two if it's not too much trouble, and you'll look good to grad schools.

I'm an MSE major applying to grad school, and I know a physics major who's applying to some MSE programs...it doesn't seem like physics students have much more trouble getting into an MSE program than anyone else, as long as you take classes that show you're interested in condensed matter, and have good research experience. Research is really important - start early.

My wife did a Master's in materials science engineering after getting a Master's and a Bachelor's in physics. She got her degrees from three different universities, and, since she did not consider materials science engineering until after she was in physics grad school, she didn't prepare in any special way.

What are some popular majors besides physics?

Some popular majors besides physics include engineering, computer science, mathematics, chemistry, and biology.

What skills can I develop by majoring in something besides physics?

Majoring in a field besides physics can help you develop skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication.

Will majoring in a different field still allow me to work in the science industry?

Yes, many science-related industries value a diverse range of skills and knowledge. A major in a different field can still lead to a career in the science industry, especially if you have relevant experience and skills.

What factors should I consider when choosing a major besides physics?

Some factors to consider when choosing a major besides physics include your interests, career goals, job market demand, and potential for future growth and advancement.

Can I still pursue a career in physics with a major in a different field?

Yes, you may still be able to pursue a career in physics by taking relevant courses or obtaining a minor in physics. You can also consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics after completing your undergraduate studies in a different field.