Ode's to PDE's: Essential Knowledge for Advanced Math/Physics

• Thread starter Visceral
  • Start date
In summary: PDE theory itself, but you might want to brush up on the basics of vector calculus and maybe some of the more common analysis methods before diving into more theoretical PDE courses. So basically, I should go over essentially what my prof skipped in that course? I've already taken linear algebra, too...so I don't know if that will change anyone's opinions on what I should brush up on.
Visceral
So I just finished this course. I feel like I haven't learned as much as I need to for PDE's. How much overlap is there from ODE's to PDE's? I would assume a lot.

Basically, I feel like I know a few methods for solving first and second order equations, and also how to do it in a matrix, but that's about it. There are a lot of things in our book that we skipped altogether, such as series solutions to differential equations, introduction to PDE's, Sturmville/Eigenvalue problems, etc...

What is essential to take from ODE's as one travels to PDE's and more advanced math/physics courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Visceral said:
So I just finished this course. I feel like I haven't learned as much as I need to for PDE's. How much overlap is there from ODE's to PDE's? I would assume a lot.

Basically, I feel like I know a few methods for solving first and second order equations, and also how to do it in a matrix, but that's about it. There are a lot of things in our book that we skipped altogether, such as series solutions to differential equations, introduction to PDE's, Sturmville/Eigenvalue problems, etc...

What is essential to take from ODE's as one travels to PDE's and more advanced math/physics courses?

Odd that you skipped series solutions, you'll need the method of frobenius to derive the Bessel function, which is used as a solution method to the wave equation. Sturm-Liouville and eigenvalues too, though you'll probably see some of that in linear algebra. PDE's can be a very self-sustained course and the derivation of the equations themselves isn't that bad if you understand partial derivatives and a little physics. The most ode I used in pde was separation of variables and the characteristic equation tbh, not much else, lots of proofs if your professor goes heavy into Fourier analysis though.

This sounds exactly like what happened to me in my ODE course this semester. Our instructor spent so much time on reviewing the linear algebra needed for Systems of DE's that we skipped series solutions and PDE's and Storm-Louville altogether and barely touched Fourier Series/Boundary Value Problems.

Basic knowledge of how to solve ODEs is most essential. Several of the analytical techniques for solving PDEs aim at reducing particular PDEs to ODEs.

Series solutions and eigenvalue problems are going to involve the same basic ideas and methods in either ODE or PDE theory, but obviously you'll need to be a lot more comfortable with vector calculus for PDE (or more importantly, you'll need to get past notation, which is generally a nightmare in PDE theory, but seems worse for series solutions). It might be a good idea to skim these topics now (within the context of ODEs) to brush up on the relevant analysis concepts and theorems (notably some power series methods from complex analysis and perhaps some basic Fourier and functional analysis for eigenvalue problems) before heading into PDE theory.

snipez90 said:
Basic knowledge of how to solve ODEs is most essential. Several of the analytical techniques for solving PDEs aim at reducing particular PDEs to ODEs.

Series solutions and eigenvalue problems are going to involve the same basic ideas and methods in either ODE or PDE theory, but obviously you'll need to be a lot more comfortable with vector calculus for PDE (or more importantly, you'll need to get past notation, which is generally a nightmare in PDE theory, but seems worse for series solutions). It might be a good idea to skim these topics now (within the context of ODEs) to brush up on the relevant analysis concepts and theorems (notably some power series methods from complex analysis and perhaps some basic Fourier and functional analysis for eigenvalue problems) before heading into PDE theory.

So basically, I should go over essentially what my prof skipped in that course? I've already taken linear algebra, too...so I don't know if that will change anyone's opinions on what I should brush up on.

You are saying PDE "theory"... I think the courses I am taking are not so much involved in theory. Here is the course description for the PDE class I am taking next semester, MA 501.

http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/reg_records/crs_cat/MA.html

From what I hear, its essentially the same as MA 401, but "grad level", so slightly harder I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
My class didnt even do systems of equations. Just First/second/higher order methods and the laplace transform. The laplace transforms is useful but like half of my EE textbooks have a chapter on it lol.

Visceral said:
You are saying PDE "theory"... I think the courses I am taking are not so much involved in theory. Here is the course description for the PDE class I am taking next semester, MA 501.

http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/reg_records/crs_cat/MA.html

From what I hear, its essentially the same as MA 401, but "grad level", so slightly harder I think.

Okay I see. I don't think you necessarily have to do preparation beforehand then. When I referred to series solutions, I meant general power series methods for differential equations that typically cannot be solved using the basic ODE techniques. On the other hand, Fourier series solutions are typically treated within the context of separation of variables. It looks like your course will cover both topics though.

Last edited by a moderator:
snipez90 said:
Okay I see. I don't think you necessarily have to do preparation beforehand then. When I referred to series solutions, I meant general power series methods for differential equations that typically cannot be solved using the basic ODE techniques. On the other hand, Fourier series solutions are typically treated within the context of separation of variables. It looks like your course will cover both topics though.

From what I have heard from others who have taken the course, we basically go through all or almost all of Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value problems by Nakhle Asmar.

1. What are PDEs and why are they important in math and physics?

PDEs, or partial differential equations, are mathematical equations that involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. They are important in math and physics because they are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the purpose of "Ode's to PDE's" and who is it intended for?

The purpose of "Ode's to PDE's" is to provide essential knowledge and understanding of PDEs for advanced students in math and physics. It is intended for those who already have a basic understanding of calculus and differential equations, and are looking to deepen their understanding of PDEs.

3. What topics are covered in "Ode's to PDE's"?

The book covers a wide range of topics related to PDEs, including their classification, solution techniques, boundary value problems, and applications in physics. It also includes advanced topics such as Fourier analysis and Green's functions.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Ode's to PDE's"?

As mentioned before, a basic understanding of calculus and differential equations is necessary for understanding the material in "Ode's to PDE's". Some familiarity with linear algebra and complex analysis would also be helpful.

5. How can "Ode's to PDE's" benefit a scientist or researcher?

For a scientist or researcher in math or physics, understanding PDEs is crucial in order to model and analyze complex phenomena. "Ode's to PDE's" provides a comprehensive understanding of PDEs and their applications, which can greatly benefit scientists and researchers in their work.