What type of calculus is in physics 1?

In summary, for the calculus based physics 1 course at a community college, you will need a good understanding of differential and integral calculus, along with some vector algebra and vector calculus. Most of what you need, beside knowing basic integration and differentiation, will be introduced along the way. The course will mainly focus on mechanics and will rely heavily on algebra, trigonometry, and vectors for problem-solving.
Tagl00king
I was just wondering what type of calculus is in cal based physics 1? I'm a little rusty at calculus, so I was just curious...

Physics news on Phys.org
For calculus based physics 1 ( like K&K mechanics), you need good understanding of differential and integral calculus, along with some vector algebra and vector calculus, most of what you need, beside knowing basic integration and differentiation will be introduced along the way.

I don't think most schools use Kleppner & Kolenkow for "Physics 1". :oldwink:

Just to make sure, Tagl00king might want to tell us which textbook he's using (or will be using).

At the colleges where I've studied and taught, the first semester of calculus based intro physics used some single-variable differential and integral calculus. Nothing fancy, just polynomials, sines and cosines and the chain rule. Usually less integral calc than differential calc.

And most of the exercises use only algebra and trig. Only a few use calculus. The calculus is used mainly to simplify derivations.

Last edited:
Likes Thewindyfan, symbolipoint and Student100
jtbell said:
I don't think most schools use Kleppner & Kolenkow for "Physics 1". :oldwink:
Yes you're right. I first wrote a long reply, then i noticed that he said " cal based physics 1" so I assumed that he meant physics at the level of K&K.

almost 90% of calculus has to do with physics

Posting the syllabus might help, physics 1 can mean many things. (In my university for example "physics 1" is a LOT easier, and taught a lot earlier than "classical mechanics 1")

At my school, Calculus I is only a co-requisite for Physics I, so we used barely any at all. Like we had some basic integrals (center of mass, gravitational field, moment of inertia), and maybe a few derivatives on homework (wave equations). Of course, I'm just talking about what we actually had to do; naturally we had a good amount in explanations in the textbook and such. I don't think I had to take a single derivative or integral on any of the three exams or the final.

Of course, we did make extensive use of vectors.

JTBell's answer is the best - by far. "Physics 1" means so many different things. Where I went to school there are five variants of "Physics 1". And that's at one school! You need to see the syallabus, or at least the textbook.

You'll have to differentiate and integrate polynomials and sines and cosines. Maybe deal with a chain rule. That's it.

PhotonSSBM said:
You'll have to differentiate and integrate polynomials and sines and cosines. Maybe deal with a chain rule. That's it.

Only it isn't always, see V50's post.

"Physics 1" means so many different things. Where I went to school there are five variants of "Physics 1". And that's at one school! You need to see the syallabus, or at least the textbook.

Tagl00king said:
Can anyone help anymore?

Have you considered e-mailing the professor/instructor? He's (or she's) probably in the best position to know what's going to happen in your class.

Tagl00king said:
Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies.
This is the book:http://www.abebooks.com/97803217530...earson-eText-Standalone-Access-0321753054/plp

I don't have the syllabus yet. It's calculus based physics 1 at a community college.

Here's a description of the course:
https://www1.dcccd.edu/catalog/coursedescriptions/detail.cfm?course=PHYS&number=2425

Can anyone help anymore? I remember derivatives and chain rule, but I don't remember much of the integrals or limits or stuff like that...
Know what a derivative means, know what an integral means, know how to use them. Taking derivative and integrating will be used as tools. Most problem-solving for the first course in the series for Physics (emphasizing Mechanics) for Science & Engineering students will rely on algebra, trigonometry, and vectors

Thanks for all of the help! I don't have my instructors email yet, that was my first choice. Anyway, thanks! I'll have to start studying.

1. What is the difference between calculus in physics 1 and traditional calculus?

The calculus used in physics 1 is typically referred to as "applied calculus" or "calculus for scientists and engineers." This means that the concepts and techniques are specifically tailored for use in solving problems in physics, rather than for more general mathematical applications.

2. Is knowledge of calculus required for physics 1?

Yes, most physics 1 courses will assume a basic understanding of calculus. This is because calculus is essential for understanding and solving many of the fundamental equations and concepts in physics, such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

3. What specific topics in calculus are covered in physics 1?

Some of the main topics covered in calculus within the context of physics 1 include derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. These concepts are used to solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy.

4. How can calculus be used to solve real-world problems in physics?

Calculus allows us to analyze and solve complex equations and problems that cannot be solved using basic algebra or geometry. In physics, calculus is used to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the transfer of energy.

5. Are there any tips for mastering calculus in physics 1?

One of the best ways to master calculus in physics 1 is to practice solving problems. It's important to understand the concepts and formulas, but applying them to real-world problems is where the true understanding comes in. Also, make sure to review and reinforce your understanding of basic calculus concepts, as they will be used frequently in physics 1.