What type of power cord can I use to fix a coffee maker?

In summary, the power cord for a machine that uses a high temperature wire should have a rating of 105C.
MrEklipze
Hello everybody, I am trying to replace a power cord from a CBTL coffee machine. The cord, which was accidentally cut, has the following description. svt 300v, 18 awg, 105C. I have tried different shops around LA to find the power cord, but the best I was able to find was svt, 300v, 18awg, 75C. The only difference is the temperature. In a different shop, I was able to find the same power cord (the one with 75c), but instead of svt, it says stj. Will the temperature rating really matter much if I use the one I was able to find? I would really appreciate your advice on how to fix this issue and explanation of why it would, or wouldn't work. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Here's an article on power cords.

http://ecmweb.com/content/dont-let-your-portable-cord-tie-you

That machine has a powerful heating element inside. I'd say you should insist on 105C wire.

check this cord.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1307304

Thanks jim, I will read the article, but the power cord is a bit different. The one I need looks like the one the computers or monitors use. I think it's called a 3 end prong, I apologize if that is not the name.

No apology , my mistake i assumed it was 2 conductor like mine.

That should be a fairly common cord.
Just i can't find insulation details at sites for Home Depot and Ace Hardware...

here's a manufacturer's site
http://www.kordking.com/products/stock-cords/3-conductor-stock.php
he lists plenty of 105C cords in 18 gage.
A good hardware store can order one for you
CPE insulation is i think what you want.

perhaps you'll find one in a thrift store... look for the 105C marking. Dont use low temperature cord . Where you splice, use 105C connectors .

jim hardy said:
No apology , my mistake i assumed it was 2 conductor like mine.

That should be a fairly common cord.
Just i can't find insulation details at sites for Home Depot and Ace Hardware...

here's a manufacturer's site
http://www.kordking.com/products/stock-cords/3-conductor-stock.php
he lists plenty of 105C cords in 18 gage.
A good hardware store can order one for you
CPE insulation is i think what you want.

perhaps you'll find one in a thrift store... look for the 105C marking. Dont use low temperature cord .

I will keep looking. Home dopot does not have anything higher than 16 awg, but i guess 16 awg won't hurt. The only downside there was the 75c temperature. I have been researching all night about the temperature part. I don't quite understand why it is very important. Does the temperature refer to the wires getting hot and then melting the plastic or does it refer to outside sources getting the cord hot?

MrEklipze said:
I don't quite understand why it is very important. Does the temperature refer to the wires getting hot and then melting the plastic or does it refer to outside sources getting the cord hot?

Inside a coffeemaker you'll find a very high temperature wire going from the heating elements to the power cord. It's insulated by white glass braid or some other high temperature covering. That's because the wiring is run physically close to both the boiler and the heating element underneath the carafe. Clearly both can reach boiling point of water plus a few degrees.
So 105C wire for the power cord makes sense, the inside of the appliance could conceivably get to 100C.
CPE is okay for excursions to 120C so should the coffeemaker be allowed to boil dry and overheat it won't melt the incoming insulation and go pyrotechnic.

So - in your case i'd call the coffeemaker's internal heating elements 'outside sources' because they're outside the wire even though they're inside the device.

Thanks for the explanation Jim, I have started to understand why it is important. I just have one more question relating to the same subject. When the coffee-maker pulls energy from the outlet, the power cord will get hot as well because of the current flowing through the cord, am i correct? If I am, how does this heat compare to the heating element inside the coffee-maker, are they at the same temperature?

MrEklipze said:
When the coffee-maker pulls energy from the outlet, the power cord will get hot as well because of the current flowing through the cord, am i correct? If I am, how does this heat compare to the heating element inside the coffee-maker, are they at the same temperature?

You can feel the cord get warm anywhere along its length. That's from current flowing through it as you said. That heat flows from the copper through the insulation to ambient(room temperature). It's a few degrees, enough to feel but not to burn you or melt insulation.

The heating elements get to 212F plus a few degrees. That's hotter than the power cord by probably 112F.
When you open the cofffeemaker to replace your cord, study the connections to those heaters. I usually find them spot-welded so they'll handle the heat,.
The special high temperature wire i mentioned goes to the switch and thermostat controls for boiler and carafe heater, finally to the incoming power cord. Heat flows along wires just like current does, so you'll see considerable separation between the heating elements and the incoming cord.

While you have it open, place yourself in the shoes of the designer.
How did he arrange the internal wiring to keep heat away from the power cord?

coffee-maker-18.jpg

those red and blue wires will have a high temperature insulation probably braided glass fibers.

This guy has rewired a coffeemaker with ordinary lampcord, which is dangerous. He should have transitioned to high temperature wire at the rear entry not at the front switch. Beware of internet advice...

F0RMNS6GXUZEMA8.MEDIUM.jpg

Likes CalcNerd
ps i'd use #16 if it'll go through the entry fitting . It'll run cooler.

Last one i opened had Torx security screws, they have a dimple that keeps you from using an ordinary tool. Sears et al sell security Torx sets under $10 and they're worth having.

Good luck, and don't set a trap like the guy in that photo above. Disasters always result from domino effect on seemingly little things..

Above all have fun.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
ps i'd use #16 if it'll go through the entry fitting . It'll run cooler.

Last one i opened had Torx security screws, they have a dimple that keeps you from using an ordinary tool. Sears et al sell security Torx sets under $10 and they're worth having.

Good luck, and don't set a trap like the guy in that photo above. Disasters always result from domino effect on seemingly little things..

Above all have fun.
Thank you so much Jim, I really appreciate your explanation. I understand a lot better the purpose of using certain types of electrical cords. Indeed the coffee-maker has a special type of screw near the power cord which I was able to remove it using a pair of pliers. I also made the opening a little bit bigger and I will attach a 16 AWG 300v 105C power cord that I was able to find at lowes. I am glad I became part of this community and certainly of having met you, you have made a great contribution to my knowledge about electrical cords and I really appreciate that, thank you!

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for the kind words, helps an old guy feel perhaps a teeny bit useful.

I learn a lot here at PF. Great place.

old jim

1. What type of power cord do I need to fix my coffee maker?

The type of power cord you need will depend on the specific model of your coffee maker. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or contact their customer service for the correct replacement cord.

2. Can I use any power cord to fix my coffee maker?

No, it is not recommended to use just any power cord to fix your coffee maker. Using the wrong cord can potentially damage your appliance or even pose a safety hazard. Always use the recommended power cord for your specific model.

3. How do I know if the power cord is the problem with my coffee maker?

If your coffee maker is not turning on or has intermittent power, the power cord may be the issue. You can check this by using a voltmeter to test the continuity of the cord. If there is no continuity, then the cord is likely the problem.

4. Where can I purchase a replacement power cord for my coffee maker?

You can purchase a replacement power cord from the manufacturer or from a reputable appliance parts retailer. Make sure to have the model number of your coffee maker on hand to ensure you get the correct cord.

5. Can I replace the power cord myself or do I need a professional?

Replacing a power cord on a coffee maker is a relatively simple task and can be done by most individuals. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable working with electrical components, it is best to seek the help of a professional to ensure it is done safely.