What Unit is 4.8912e12 m2 kg/s^4?

• Thread starter iphilosopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation was about a math calculation involving hertz and watts. The resulting unit was 4.8912 × 10^12 m^2 kg / s^4, which was determined to be equivalent to Joules per s^2 or Watts per second. The purpose of the calculation was to determine the distance a photon can travel, but it was concluded that dimensional analysis may not be the best method for this question.
iphilosopher
Change the forum if this is in the wrong place but I was doing some math (multiplying hertz and watts) and I came with 4.8912 × 10^12 m^2 kg / s^4, I don't know what unit that is, so can anybody tell me if there even is one?

Physics news on Phys.org
there is no known physical quantity with those dimensions.

iphilosopher said:
Change the forum if this is in the wrong place but I was doing some math (multiplying hertz and watts) and I came with 4.8912 × 10^12 m^2 kg / s^4, I don't know what unit that is, so can anybody tell me if there even is one?

[tex]Watt = Joule/s = kg*m^2*s^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]Hertz = s^{-1}[/tex]

So your units are correct. Basically it's Joules per s^2, or Watts per second.

But as pointed out, it is unusual to multiply power and frequency. What was the calculation for?

I meant to divide hertz and watts and I would get 2 122.91667 m^-2 * kg^-1 * s^2 so now I think my question truly is what is that unit

As asked, what are you trying to accomplish? It almost seems like you are doing blind math, hoping to stumble on something interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was trying to find how far one photon can go like with a radio transmitter, how far could one of those photons could go. And now I found I did not have enough information to do these calculations.

There's no limit to how far a photon can go. But I'm not sure you can come to a conclusion like that by doing dimensional analysis. Sometimes interesting things can pop out though.

Related to What Unit is 4.8912e12 m2 kg/s^4?

1. What does "4.8912e12" mean in scientific notation?

The number "4.8912e12" is a way of representing a very large or very small number in a more compact form. The "e" stands for "exponent" and the number after it tells us how many times we need to multiply the first number by 10. In this case, "e12" means we need to multiply 4.8912 by 10 twelve times, resulting in 4.8912 x 10^12 or 4,891,200,000,000.

2. What are the units for "m2" and "kg/s^4"?

The unit "m2" represents square meters, which is a unit of area. The unit "kg/s^4" represents kilograms per second to the fourth power, which is a unit of energy per unit time to the fourth power.

3. How do I interpret "m2 kg/s^4" as a unit?

The unit "m2 kg/s^4" is a combination of units for area and energy per unit time. This could represent the amount of energy being transferred per unit time over an area.

4. Can I convert "m2 kg/s^4" to a different unit?

Yes, "m2 kg/s^4" can be converted to different units using mathematical equations. For example, it can be converted to joules per square meter per second to the fourth power by multiplying by a conversion factor of 1 joule = 1 kg m^2/s^2.

5. What are some real-life examples of "m2 kg/s^4"?

"m2 kg/s^4" could be used to measure the amount of energy transferred per unit time over a specific area, such as in solar radiation or heat transfer. It could also be used in calculations for energy production or consumption, such as in power plants or in the human body's metabolism.