What Units Should I Use to Calculate Planetary Orbit Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a planet to form from a protoplanetary disk using the equation t = (3/A)M^(1/3). The units for the periods are uncertain, with results from Google using both days and seconds. The use of large brackets for fractions in LaTeX is also mentioned. Additionally, a link to a website about protoplanetary disks is shared.
lagwagon555
Hi all, I'm working on a problem where I have to find the time it takes for a planet to form from a protoplanetary disk, using the equation:

[tex] t = \frac {3}{A}M^{1/3} [/tex]

Where

[tex] A= ( \frac {(1+2\beta)\sigma}{P}) (\frac {3\pi^2}{4\rho_m})^{2/3} [/tex]

However, I'm not sure which units the periods should be calculated with. Results from google seem to use both, and the units I'm given for in the question are days. However, seconds would seem the logical thing to use. Calculating using both, and choosing the best answer won't really work, since I have no idea how long a sensible answer would be. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to get large brackets around fractions, when using Latex?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The protoplanetary disk when a star system is very unstable and is the building blocks of a planetary system. Here is an interesting site you may find interesting:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/0004-637X/581/1/681/55760.web.pdf?request-id=18af475d-f2da-407a-ba2f-0a3e870da81b

LaTeX

Hi lagwagon555! :smile:
lagwagon555 said:
Incidentally, does anyone know how to get large brackets around fractions, when using Latex?

Type "\left(" and "\right)" :wink:

(also works with {} [] ||)

Last edited:

Related to What Units Should I Use to Calculate Planetary Orbit Time?

1. What unit is commonly used to measure planetary orbits?

The most commonly used unit to measure planetary orbits is astronomical units (AU). 1 AU is defined as the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is approximately 149.6 million kilometers.

2. How do we convert astronomical units to other units of measurement?

To convert astronomical units to other units of measurement, we can use the following conversions:1 AU = 149.6 million kilometers1 AU = 92955807.267 miles1 AU = 8.317 light minutes1 AU = 4.8481368 × 10^-6 parsecs

3. Why is astronomical unit a useful unit for measuring planetary orbits?

Astronomical unit is a useful unit for measuring planetary orbits because it provides a scale that is easily understood and relatable to our own solar system. It also allows for comparisons between different planetary systems and their distances from their respective stars.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using astronomical units for measuring planetary orbits?

One drawback of using astronomical units is that it is based on the distance between the Earth and the Sun, which can vary slightly due to the elliptical shape of the Earth's orbit. This can lead to small discrepancies in measurements.

5. Is there an alternative unit for measuring planetary orbits?

Yes, there are other units that can be used to measure planetary orbits, such as kilometers, miles, and light years. However, astronomical units are the most commonly used unit in the field of astronomy and are often preferred for their relative scale and ease of understanding.