What voltage should my motor be?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on choosing a motor for their electric scooter that will be powered by solar energy. They are considering a 12 volt DC motor but are concerned about safety and speed. The expert suggests considering the voltage and current of the motor, as well as the torque and rpm requirements, and using a battery as the energy source to drive the motor. The solar panels can then be used to charge the battery.
DazedAura
I'm making an electric scooter but it's not just your average scooter.
I'm going to connect it to some solar panels so it can run off of solar energy.

But since this is my first time experimenting with electrical engineering stuff, I have no idea which motor I should use.
I'm thinking a 12 volt DC motor but I don't want any mishaps to happens like explosions...I also would like the scooter to go as fast as it can.

What do you recommend? If you have any other background info on motors or circuits please let me know that as well. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your engineering problem has several important aspects to consider. The voltage and current of your motor should match the voltage and current available from your energy source. The motor needs to provide the required torque and rpm for the desired acceleration and velocity. Can the torque and rpm requirements be met in ANY motor that matches the voltage and current available from your energy source? Probably not, if you intend to wire it directly to solar panels. This suggests you may need a battery. Use the solar panels to charge the battery and the battery as the energy source to drive your motor.

Dr. Courtney said:
Your engineering problem has several important aspects to consider. The voltage and current of your motor should match the voltage and current available from your energy source. The motor needs to provide the required torque and rpm for the desired acceleration and velocity. Can the torque and rpm requirements be met in ANY motor that matches the voltage and current available from your energy source? Probably not, if you intend to wire it directly to solar panels. This suggests you may need a battery. Use the solar panels to charge the battery and the battery as the energy source to drive your motor.

I didn't even think of that! Thank you so much!

Related to What voltage should my motor be?

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference, or the force that drives electricity through a circuit. It is measured in volts (V). Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electrical charge and is measured in amperes (A). In simpler terms, voltage is the "push" that causes current to flow.

2. How do I determine the voltage of my motor?

The voltage of a motor is typically determined by the power source it is connected to. Most household outlets in the United States provide 120 volts, while industrial outlets can provide 240 volts or higher. If you are unsure of the voltage, consult the motor's manual or contact the manufacturer.

3. Can I use a different voltage for my motor than what is recommended?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use a different voltage for your motor than what is recommended. Motors are designed to operate at a specific voltage, and using a higher or lower voltage can cause damage to the motor and potentially be dangerous. Always follow the recommended voltage for your motor.

4. What happens if I use a higher voltage for my motor?

If you use a higher voltage for your motor than what is recommended, it can cause the motor to overheat and potentially burn out. This can also cause damage to other components in the motor or the circuit. It is important to always use the recommended voltage for your motor to ensure safe and proper operation.

5. Can I change the voltage of my motor?

In some cases, it is possible to change the voltage of a motor by rewiring it or using a voltage converter. However, this should only be done by a trained professional to ensure it is done correctly and safely. It is not recommended to attempt to change the voltage of a motor on your own unless you have the proper knowledge and experience.