What Was the #1 Song on Your Birthday?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
108 replies · 20K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Well, I mostly "read" the books with lots of pictures that had captions. We're 2 of a kind. Little freaks. Did you have a microscope and telescope? I find this is quite common among PF members when they were little.

That's very cool. Do you or did you have a photographic memory when you were growing up?

I was a child of privilege. My grandfather had a telescope in his backyard. It was an 8" reflector. There was a walk up platform to get to the eyepiece. And no motor mount. But damn you could sure see the moon. When I was older I built my own telescope, ground the lens and all - another reflector - phew. But it was a puny thing compared to his walk-up.

And of course I had a microscope and chemistry set too. I loved that stuff. My science projects tended to involve petri dishes and sketches of staff and strep and agar cultures and glass slides. I had a Bunsen burner in my bedroom even on my work table. Test tubes, chemicals, and a dart board. I even had a rifle hanging on a wall mount. When I think back on it my room was a real hazard zone for kids, but by some miracle we all survived. And that was even before seat belts.
 
LowlyPion said:
I was a child of privilege. My grandfather had a telescope in his backyard. It was an 8" reflector. There was a walk up platform to get to the eyepiece. And no motor mount. But damn you could sure see the moon. When I was older I built my own telescope, ground the lens and all - another reflector - phew. But it was a puny thing compared to his walk-up.

And of course I had a microscope and chemistry set too. I loved that stuff. My science projects tended to involve petri dishes and sketches of staff and strep and agar cultures and glass slides. I had a Bunsen burner in my bedroom even on my work table. Test tubes, chemicals, and a dart board. I even had a rifle hanging on a wall mount. When I think back on it my room was a real hazard zone for kids, but by some miracle we all survived. And that was even before seat belts.
ooooh. OOOOOH.

I went to the planetarium whenever i had a chance. First time I went I thought "this is what I want to do when i grow up". Be a projectionist. :-p
 
Evo said:
That's very cool. Do you or did you have a photographic memory when you were growing up?

Forgot this. I realized after I posted that it was those Texas scrub cedar trees that were all about nor firs.

Either it's a good memory or taking a bath was so infrequent that it was a big event. The thing that is odd about it is that it's almost like a photo through a glass darkly. (To borrow a little from Alice.) And in shades of reds and blacks for some reason. But generally, no it's not photographic.
 
Evo said:
ooooh. OOOOOH.

I went to the planetarium whenever i had a chance. First time I went I thought "this is what I want to do when i grow up". Be a projectionist. :-p

I see. You wanted to run things?
 
LowlyPion said:
I see. You wanted to run things?
heh, I wanted to work in an observatory because I thought it would be like the planetarium. :biggrin: All beautiful, in color, with great music and black lights. It is, isn't it?

Ok, yes I knew it was fake. But I wanted to do something to instill that awe in others.
 
lisab said:
Don't remember the cottage you describe :wink:

I should hope not. I can't imagine that it's still there. It was more like semi-permanent camping, not really a house at all. Cement slab, 4 posts along each side, 2 screen doors on opposite sides a counter sink and table and room for cots. A swift wind should have seen that thing in the creek.
 
Evo said:
heh, I wanted to work in an observatory because I thought it would be like the planetarium. :biggrin: All beautiful, in color, with great music and black lights. It is, isn't it?

Ok, yes I knew it was fake. But I wanted to do something to instill that awe in others.

Sounds a bit like a strip bar the way you put it. (Not like I would know except from the pictures of course.)
 
My wishful thinking was "Top of the world - carpenters" ... Ah, I was born 2 months before the release of the album. Anyway, they were the no. 1 when I was 4 month old, may be the day I started on my solids.



I listen to this song almost every other day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Never heard about Telstar & The Tornadoes

What? :) I was born way later and *I* know that song.

The Tornadoes I understand, they were a one-hit wonder with that song. But the song itself is pretty well-known; there are a lot of cover versions of it.

Try checking out "The Spotnicks". There's a whole genre of 1960's satellite-related instrumental rock that you probably don't know about :smile:
 
Ah OK, now that I have heard sample from wikipedia I know it, I was just not aware of the title.

alxm said:
Try checking out "The Spotnicks". There's a whole genre of 1960's satellite-related instrumental rock that you probably don't know about :smile:

Could be. Living on this side of the iron courtain had its drawbacks.
 
Tears for fears-shout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqgy1mebh8
 
Annie's Song by John Denver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGS263lGsQ

gonna have to try this one at karaoke night.
 
April 15th, 1985

We Are the World - USA for Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxT21uFRwM
 
Huckleberry said:
Annie's Song by John Denver
gonna have to try this one at karaoke night.

You've got me beat by one year... darn! When I saw the list I liked that one so much better! (Nice to know I'm not the only one from the 70's here...)
I get "The Hussle" (Van McCoy & the Soul City Symphony) on this guy's list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFz2WkVAk38
but "Listen to what the Man Said" (McCartney & the Wings) on others:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwuz3j4XbbU
... neither is really inspiring.

But at least my Hot Soul Single Number One is the original "Fight the Power." :biggrin:
 
I think I have the worst song in history.

12/1/78 is "You don't bring me flowers" by Barb Striesand and Niel Diamond
 
"Straight Up" by Paula Abdul.

I only know her from American Idols, never heard her music.
 
Another Day in Paradise - Phil Collins

I actually liked Phil Collins a lot as a child, coincidence?
 
*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Another Day in Paradise - Phil Collins

I actually liked Phil Collins a lot as a child, coincidence?

How did you know Phil Collins as a child?
 
lisab said:
How did you know Phil Collins as a child?

Cd's in my parents room, I listened to a lot of stuff. I don't think I knew english back then, but I danced (well, "danced") before I could walk.
 
hypatia said:
http://www.joshhosler.biz/
If you go to this site, you can look up the song that was at the top of the charts on the day you were born.

Mine was,

Love me Tender...Elvis Presley

If you like that site, I think you will love this one :smile: http://www.yamelo.com/ It has a timeline of top-40 songs so it is easily searchable.

On my birthday it was Abba with "The winner takes it all" :biggrin:
 
On 12/25/72 the number one song was Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul. As I recall I didn't care for it at the time, but hey it's grown on me.
 
Tom Mattson said:
On 12/25/72 the number one song was Me and Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul.

That song brings back memories that can't be discussed in public. I would so like to tell you about the Vaughn twins. :-p
 
Ivan Seeking said:
That song brings back memories that can't be discussed in public.

Oh, stop man! I'm starting to sprout one just thinking about it. Well, "Jones" was an alias, but still... :-p
 
Borek said:
Giving the title is almost like giving your exact birthday date, especially if you were born when something obscure was at the top :wink:

Never heard about Telstar & The Tornadoes
The father of Matthew Bellamy, front of the English alternative rock band Muse was in Telstar & The Tornadoes. Some of the songs (like Knights of Cydonia / Ridin' the Wind) even have the same tune.
 
mcknia07 said:
"Straight up" by Paula Abdul.
qspeechc said:
"Straight Up" by Paula Abdul.

I only know her from American Idols, never heard her music.

And the birthday paradox is confirmed!
 
"Mr. Custer" by Larry Verne. Never heard of it.

If I were born 1 year earlier or later, it would have been way cooler:
either Mack the Knife or Hit The Road Jack.