What was the car's velocity at t=0?

• Thread starter indietro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a car with an acceleration of 1.75 m/s2 passes two marks 30.3 m apart at times t=3.80 s and t=5.15 s. The average velocity over this interval is 22.4 m/s, with the middle of the interval (4.48s) also having a velocity of 22.4 m/s.
indietro

Homework Statement

A car accelerates at 1.75 m/s2 along a straight road. It passes two marks that are 30.3 m apart at times t=3.80 s and t=5.15 s. What was the car's velocity at t=0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im actually not quite sure how to approach this question. Is there some way that i can find the velocity at the beginning of the time interval that is given?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the average speed over the interval from 3.8s to 5.15 s?

exactly when does the car have this average speed?

the average velocity over that time interval is 22.4 m/s. but I am not sure what you mean by:
willem2 said:
exactly when does the car have this average speed?

indietro said:
the average velocity over that time interval is 22.4 m/s. but I am not sure what you mean by:

if the car goes has speed [itex] v_i [/itex] at the start of the interval and [itex] v_f [/itex] at
the end of the interval, its average speed is [itex] (v_i + v_f)/2 [/itex]. The speed at _______
is also [itex] (v_i + v_f)/2 [/itex]. (with constant acceleration)

so the middle of the interval (4.48s) would also have the velocity of 22.4 m/s ??

1. What is meant by "velocity" in the context of a car?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In this context, it represents how fast the car is moving at a specific point in time.

2. How is the velocity of a car measured?

The velocity of a car is typically measured using a speedometer, which tracks the rotation of the car's wheels and calculates the speed based on their revolutions per minute. It can also be calculated using the car's distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

3. Why is the velocity of a car at t=0 important?

The velocity of a car at t=0 represents its initial velocity, or the speed at which it was traveling at the start of its motion. This information is important for understanding the car's acceleration and overall movement.

4. Can the velocity of a car at t=0 change?

Yes, the velocity of a car can change at any point in time due to external forces such as acceleration, deceleration, or changes in direction. However, the velocity at t=0 remains constant unless acted upon by these external forces.

5. How does the velocity of a car at t=0 affect its overall motion?

The velocity of a car at t=0 is a key factor in determining its overall motion. If the car's velocity at t=0 is high, it will likely continue to accelerate at a faster rate. If the velocity at t=0 is low, the car may not accelerate as quickly or may remain at a constant speed. Additionally, the direction of the car's initial velocity can also impact its overall motion.