What Went Wrong in Solving the Ball Projection Problem?

In summary: Can you tell me what you think?In summary, the ball reaches a height of 6.13 m above the floor after it has been projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 0.443 m high.
Sealy

Homework Statement

A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 0.443 m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.84 m from the base of the table.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

a) What is the initial speed of the ball? Answer in units of m/s

b) How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a -18.9486 degree angle with the horizontal? Answer in units of m.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i got it right, and the answer is 6.13

b) this is what i have trouble on. I started by finding Vy using (6.13)(tan -18.9486)=Vy and i got: Vy=-2.10 I then used the formula Vf = Vo + a*t to get time. I got t=-.21 s
Next i used d = Vot + 0.5a*t^2 to solve for distance and i got d= .22

Finally i did 0.443-0.22 and i got 0.22. The answer is not .22.

I need help please. What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sealy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Sealy said:
b) this is what i have trouble on. I started by finding Vy using (6.13)(tan -18.9486)=Vy and i got: Vy=-2.10 I then used the formula Vf = Vo + a*t to get time. I got t=-.21 s
Next i used d = Vot + 0.5a*t^2 to solve for distance and i got d= .22

Finally i did 0.443-0.22 and i got 0.22. The answer is not .22.

I need help please. What did i do wrong?

(probably a rounding error, but anyway …)

there are three standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations …

why not use v2 = u2 + 2as ? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to redo the problem without rounding until the end and i still got 0.22. I even tried 0.21 and 0.23. I sent a copy of my work and my solution to my teacher today so I'm waiting for her response.

I really think i used the right method.

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a ball in a ball projection problem?

The initial velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the ball is thrown.

2. What is the formula for finding the maximum height of the ball in a ball projection problem?

The maximum height can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / (2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I determine the range of the ball in a ball projection problem?

The range can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What are the factors that affect the trajectory of a ball in a ball projection problem?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a ball include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

5. Can I use the same equations for a ball projection problem in different environments?

Yes, the equations for a ball projection problem can be used in different environments as long as the factors such as acceleration due to gravity and air resistance remain constant.