1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What will happen if i throw a cricket ball through Saturn's ring

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    Suppose i hit a ball with a speed around 177km/hr(when it is near Saturn's ring), will it cross the saturn's ring or it will move around saturn just like other dust partices, what will happen if the speed is around 344 kmph(speed of sound).

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2
    It can neither orbit or escape regardless what direction you through it in It will fall into Saturn.

The rings orbit the planet at thousands of kilometers per hour!

4. May 15, 2017 #3
    Is it because of its g= 10.44m/s^2 or what's the reason?

5. May 15, 2017 #4
    Saturn is really really big. Its mass 5.683 × 10^26 kg. For an object to orbit Saturn in a circular motion, You would need a really high velocity.

Try using Newton's gravitational law and centripetal force to get a sense of how large the velocities have to be.

6. May 16, 2017 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no ballistic approach to a planet that will give you an elliptical orbit. You have to change your orbit when you are near or, if you don't crash, you carry on along a hyperbolic orbit and disappear off into space. The orbit change could happen due to interaction with other orbiting junk, which could slow you down by just the right amount and at the right time but retro rockets are what's normally used.

7. May 16, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

8. May 16, 2017 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What will happen if i throw a cricket ball through Saturn's ring?

You will score a really good run (or should I say wicket?). :rolleyes:

9. May 16, 2017 #8
    "I said if i throw", and throwing doesn't gives any run:-p:DD

10. May 16, 2017 #9
    You said hit in the post, if you meant throw then the batsman might get runs for overthrows.

11. May 27, 2017 #10
    So this is the base for playing cricket in saturn in near furture whether the ball is overthrow or not.....

12. May 27, 2017 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted