What will happen if i throw a cricket ball through Saturn's ring

• Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of hitting a ball with different speeds near Saturn's ring. It is stated that at a speed of 177km/hr, the ball will fall into Saturn, while at a speed of 344 kmph, it will neither orbit nor escape and will also fall into Saturn. The conversation also mentions the factors that affect orbital velocity and the possibility of changing orbits near a planet. There is also a mention of cricket being played in Saturn's ring in the future.
parshyaa
Suppose i hit a ball with a speed around 177km/hr(when it is near Saturn's ring), will it cross the saturn's ring or it will move around saturn just like other dust partices, what will happen if the speed is around 344 kmph(speed of sound).

Physics news on Phys.org
It can neither orbit or escape regardless what direction you through it in It will fall into Saturn.

The rings orbit the planet at thousands of kilometers per hour!

Likes parshyaa
Biker said:
It will fall into Saturn
Is it because of its g= 10.44m/s^2 or what's the reason?

parshyaa said:
Is it because of its g= 10.44m/s^2 or what's the reason?
Saturn is really really big. Its mass 5.683 × 10^26 kg. For an object to orbit Saturn in a circular motion, You would need a really high velocity.

Try using Newton's gravitational law and centripetal force to get a sense of how large the velocities have to be.

Likes parshyaa
There is no ballistic approach to a planet that will give you an elliptical orbit. You have to change your orbit when you are near or, if you don't crash, you carry on along a hyperbolic orbit and disappear off into space. The orbit change could happen due to interaction with other orbiting junk, which could slow you down by just the right amount and at the right time but retro rockets are what's normally used.

What will happen if i throw a cricket ball through Saturn's ring?

You will score a really good run (or should I say wicket?). :rolleyes:

anorlunda said:
What will happen if i throw a cricket ball through Saturn's ring?

You will score a really good run (or should I say wicket?). :rolleyes:
"I said if i throw", and throwing doesn't gives any run:-p:DD

parshyaa said:
"I said if i throw", and throwing doesn't gives any run:-p:DD

You said hit in the post, if you meant throw then the batsman might get runs for overthrows.

Likes parshyaa
So this is the base for playing cricket in saturn in near furture whether the ball is overthrow or not...

Likes parshyaa

What will happen if I throw a cricket ball through Saturn's rings?

Throwing a cricket ball through Saturn's rings would not have any significant impact on the planet or its rings. The rings are made up of dust, rocks, and ice particles that are spread out over a large distance, making it difficult for any object to have a noticeable effect on them.

Will the cricket ball make it through the rings?

It is highly unlikely that the cricket ball would make it through the rings of Saturn. The rings are made up of countless small particles that are too close together for the ball to pass through without colliding with any of them.

What would happen if the cricket ball collided with a particle in the rings?

If the cricket ball were to collide with a particle in Saturn's rings, it would most likely break apart into smaller pieces due to the high velocity of the collision. These smaller pieces would then continue to orbit Saturn along with the other particles in the rings.

Could the cricket ball damage the rings?

No, the cricket ball does not have enough mass or force to cause any significant damage to Saturn's rings. Even if it were to collide with a particle, the impact would not be strong enough to disrupt the overall structure of the rings.

What would happen if a person were to throw a cricket ball through Saturn's rings?

If a person were to throw a cricket ball through Saturn's rings, they would most likely not be able to see the ball make it all the way through. The distance between the particles in the rings is too great for the human eye to distinguish the ball's trajectory. However, the ball would still not have any significant impact on the planet or its rings.