What do electric field lines look like for two metal plates?

In summary, in a thermionic electron gun, the anode metal mesh should be grounded to prevent electrons from returning to the anode due to the electric field lines. When the anode is not grounded, the field lines show that electrons will eventually return to the anode. However, when the anode is grounded, there is no electric field beyond the anode, and the anode becomes neutral. The shape of the field lines is determined by the variation of the electric potential, not the absolute values of it. Whether one of the plates is grounded or not does not affect the shape of the field.
goodphy
Hello.

I'm now taking accelerator physics class and the lectures said in the thermionic electron gun, anode metal mesh should be grounded in order to prevent electrons which traveled beyond the mesh from coming back due to the electric field lines.

Without grounding of the anode, I believe that the field lines look like the following picture.
Electric field lines between two plates.jpg

- charged plate is heated cathode to emit thermal electrons and + charged plate is the anode metal mesh in the thermionic electron gun. According to this field lines, electrons eventually comes back to the anode when they go beyond the anode.

So...with grounding of the anode, I guess that there is no electric field beyond the anode and this only explains what the lecturer said in the class, but why?

Could you give me a simple picture of how the field lines look like for two plates when the anode is grounded? When the anode is grounded, I think the anode becomes neutral but I hardly imagine what is next to draw field lines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether one of the plates is grounded or not is irrelevant for the shape of the field.

Likes goodphy
Orodruin said:
Whether one of the plates is grounded or not is irrelevant for the shape of the field.
Yeah...the electric field vector E = -∇φ where φ is the electric potential, so field lines are determined only by the variation of the potential over the space, not depending on absolute values of it. I see.

Maybe there is something I missed from what the lecturer said.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged object experiences a force. It is created by the presence of an electric charge and its strength is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charge.

2. How are electric field lines formed?

Electric field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of the electric field. They are formed by drawing a line tangent to the direction of the electric field at each point, with the number of lines proportional to the strength of the field.

3. What happens to the electric field lines when two metal plates are placed parallel to each other?

When two metal plates are placed parallel to each other, the electric field lines between them become parallel and uniform. This is because the metal plates act as conductors, allowing the electric charges to move freely and evenly distribute along the surface of the plates, creating a uniform electric field.

4. What do the electric field lines look like for two metal plates with opposite charges?

For two metal plates with opposite charges, the electric field lines will be directed from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. The lines will be evenly spaced and parallel, as the plates will have an equal and opposite charge, creating a uniform electric field between them.

5. How does the distance between the metal plates affect the electric field lines?

The distance between the metal plates affects the electric field lines by changing their strength. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field will be between them, resulting in more closely spaced field lines. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field becomes weaker and the field lines become more spread out.