What would happen if a stream of electrons hits a conductor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 1K views
James12345678
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I don't know much about particle physics, but out of curiosity I was wondering what would happen if a stream of electrons hit a conductor, say copper plating, an would it be detectible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming low-energetic electrons: the conductor gets charged a bit. This can be detectable, it depends on the size of the conductor and the amount of electrons.

If you want to detect small amounts of electrons, CCDs could be interesting, with more sensitive devices available if necessary.
 
James12345678 said:
I don't know much about particle physics, but out of curiosity I was wondering what would happen if a stream of electrons hit a conductor, say copper plating, an would it be detectible?
As mfb hinted at, it depends what energy your electrons have, for high energy electrons you will get X-ray emission from the sample as in a conventional X-ray tube.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn