Can You Survive a Week Without Nutrients?

• Thread starter The_Z_Factor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of living without nutrients for a week, the importance of nutrients to our body, and the time it takes for nutrients to become active in our body. It is possible to survive without nutrients for a week, but the quality of the calories consumed can lead to potential health issues over time. Nutrients are essential for our body to function properly.
The_Z_Factor
Say you didnt get your nutrients from the food that you eat for..say a week? I mean not like on that movie supersize me where he only eats mcdonalds for a month, but if you actually got none of these nutrients, providing that you could live for a week without them. Is that possible? I mean, is it possible to live for a week without any nutrients at all going into your body?

Another question, if it happens to be the answer to my first question that you can't live without nutrients for a week, how are these nutrients or why are these nutrients so important to our body? Is there a certain nutrient or are there specific nutrients that give us the ability to live?

And if you possibly could live without nutrients for a week, then does that mean that it takes time for the nutrients you consume to become 'active' in your body?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
The_Z_Factor said:
Say you didnt get your nutrients from the food that you eat for..say a week? I mean not like on that movie supersize me where he only eats mcdonalds for a month, but if you actually got none of these nutrients, providing that you could live for a week without them. Is that possible? I mean, is it possible to live for a week without any nutrients at all going into your body?

Another question, if it happens to be the answer to my first question that you can't live without nutrients for a week, how are these nutrients or why are these nutrients so important to our body? Is there a certain nutrient or are there specific nutrients that give us the ability to live?

And if you possibly could live without nutrients for a week, then does that mean that it takes time for the nutrients you consume to become 'active' in your body?
Yes, you can go a week without nutrients. Basically to survive, you need water first, calories second. The quality of the calories of course will eventually lead to whether you are healthy or suffer from nutrient deficiency, but this develops slowly over time.

ahh, thank you, that clears it up for me.

Related to Can You Survive a Week Without Nutrients?

1. What exactly are nutrients?

Nutrients are substances that our body needs to function properly and stay healthy. They include carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals.

2. Can a person survive without any nutrients at all?

No, it is not possible for a person to survive without any nutrients. Our body needs these essential substances to perform important functions such as energy production, tissue repair, and immune system support.

3. How long can a person survive without nutrients?

The exact amount of time a person can survive without nutrients varies depending on factors such as age, health status, and environmental conditions. However, most people can survive for about 3-4 weeks without food before facing serious health consequences.

4. What happens to the body when it is deprived of nutrients?

When the body is deprived of nutrients, it goes into a state of starvation. This can lead to various physical and mental symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, and even organ failure.

5. Is it safe to try surviving without nutrients for a week?

No, it is not safe to try surviving without nutrients for a week. Our body requires a balanced intake of nutrients to function properly, and depriving it of these essential substances can have serious consequences on our health. It is important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet to ensure our body receives all the necessary nutrients.