Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News What would probably be the most impactful steps to stop seal bashing?

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    Ideas?

So far, I have thought of making a club at my school to create awareness and to encourage people to take some kind of action to stop it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure if this is the area to discuss this but I never even felt that 'stopping seal bashing' was all that important.

Firstly: The seal hunt is MORE than likely sustainable... even if it isn't however numbers of seals have gone up SIGNIFICANTLY in the last 30 years.

Secondly: It's someones way of making income for their family etc. Seals are not endangered (far from) so why the big stink? Maybe if they were hunting tigers something to that effect but their not.

Thirdly: I actually think that a bigger stink is made about the seal hunt than is about illegal hunts occuring in various parts of the world... look at the dolphin trade in Japan. I think this is due to the fact that there is a lot of money to be made by animal rights groups over the cute seals.

Maybe one could argue that the killing methods are inhumane... I'm pretty sure that the Canadian Vetrenarian Association did a study and found that the killings caused minimal suffering to the animal. Hmph.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    I think it's a great idea. You could name the club: "Club Seals." Or perhaps, "Club Baby Seals" would be even more appropriate. That's bound to raise awareness.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Bumper stickers to promote awareness:

seal.jpg

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Seriously though.

We should verify that this is what the OP is asking about - whether he is objecting to seal hunting or just seal clubbing.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6
    OK No, the thread is NOT to discuss whether or not it is important to stop seal bashing but to discuss impactful ways to stop the seal bashing , it would after all take some really creative and good ideas to accomplish this most likely. Your post is not on the correct thread, Have you tried starting your own thread asking others whether or not it is important because , as said, this thread is not about what you are off in a corner discussing amongst yourself, totally different topic.

8. Jan 15, 2010 #7
    The seal bashing is beyond sad, detail by detail becomes more sad, the hunting is bad also but not as unnecessary and painful as 'seal bashing' which is a systematic for profit thing , hunting is some what part of the eco system but sad also, seal bashing is just horrid though.

9. Jan 15, 2010 #8
    No no no, that doesn't look pro seal, in fact it looks anti seal :( Is it anti seal or are you sticking up for the seals. shoot.

10. Jan 15, 2010 #9
    Need more ideas , many many more ideas , the more the better :)

11. Jan 15, 2010 #10
    What if there was a human bashing and some seal was on a forum saying " I really don't think stopping human bashing is all that important." What if the human being skinned alive and bashed was YOU. Very curious what your answer might be, tell me. But you'll come up with some thing totally annoying as an answerand totally antagonistic and anti seal or apathetic still, correct?

12. Jan 15, 2010 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Shouldn;t you first determine if it should be stopped? That is by no means a foregone conclusion.

You should be aware that he is teasing you. Naming your club "Club Baby Seals" would be alarmingly counterproductive.

You do realize that I am teasing you too.

I guess you are a strict vegetarian then? If not, you are killing to sustain yourself.

13. Jan 15, 2010 #12
    This is a Science forum. If you want to discuss a Political campaign to protect seals, then it probably should be done somewhere else.

14. Jan 15, 2010 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh I dunno about that. Maybe it belongs in a different sub-forum, but the OP has come here for ideas. We support that.

Though he may not get quite the responses he wants.

15. Jan 15, 2010 #14

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

FYI, the Mentors are discussing a move to P&WA or GD or leaving it here. It's late, though, so there probably won't be a concensus until morning.

16. Jan 15, 2010 #15

Evo

I am completely against the killing of animals for their fur, which is the primary reason the seals are killed. The seal hunt is sanctioned by the Canadian government. Although the clubbing of seals under 12-14 days of age is now illegal, any baby seal over that age can be clubbed to death.

This is a pro-seal clubbing article, it states the Canadian government's reasons for endorsing the hunts as an economic stimulous.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/05/05/f-seal-hunt.html [Broken]

We have already caused the extinction of one seal species from over hunting. Even though there currently are large numbers of seals, natural disasters can quickly decimate a species

Caribbean Monk Seal Gone Extinct From Human Causes, NOAA Confirms

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080608074828.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Jan 15, 2010 #16
    I think that people should instead of condemning Canada or the hunters do more research into the hunt. Do more research into the Native Newfoundlanders, the Newfondlanders and the Inuit peoples. Do research into the cod fishing industry (it's ironic how overfishing destroyed that and the Canadian government shut that down yet other countries are still fishing for cod) yet the flak comes back at the Canadians when they are doing a more than likely sustainable hunt.

It's easy for you to sit here and cry about killing the 'poor cute little seal' from your more than likely nice home and great job. Are you going to lend these people $10000 when the seal hunt is done every year? Especially the Inuit, they'll need it the most. Which is OUR fault by the way too, if you care to look it up.

18. Jan 15, 2010 #17

Evo

A lot of that is covered in the article I posted. I chose it over articles by groups that oppose the hunts because, even though the the CBC article presents the pro-clubbing viewpoint, it seems to me to be a fair representation of the situation. I abhore alarmism. It's a sad state of affairs that killing primarily for fur has to be considered necessary for income. There is no easy solution.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  19. Jan 15, 2010 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably better than drilling for oil being necessary for income.
    The trouble is that seals are cute - chickens, cod and king crab aren't

The only way to stop it, other than fitting the seals with laser beams is to remove the demand.
    There isn't much demand for fur coats from anybody under 50 in the US/Europe so the only new market is likely to be China. If you stop fur seal they will just get Panda coats instead.

Europe tried trade sanctions, but since the only Canadian export to europe is mapple syrup this isn't really biting. The US could boycott Canadian oil ?

20. Jan 15, 2010 #19
    How about a bumper sticker that says I (heart symbol) baby seals, don't (club symbol) them.

21. Jan 15, 2010 #20
    Pricey, but maybe raise funds and buy the land the seals live? Animal-rights interests could spend their donations in better areas, then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook