Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would tear you apart?

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

ok not literally, but which of these would hurt you the most, or what other could hurt you?

[when you remember a dear person who has gone with no return
    when you shake a hand that you know how dirty it is
    when you open your eyes on a reality that you don’t want to be in
    when you bow to a typhoon so it won’t extirpate you from your place that you care to stay in
    when you find there’s no one around you but you!
    when you put the most beautiful thing in your life beneath your feet so you rise and reach the top
    when you start to let go your dreams one by one..
    when you scream with your loudest voice and can’t be heard
    when you close your eyes on a sweet dream and wake up on a horrible illusion!!
    when you feel that you’re the cause of someone’s misery!
    when you see your surroundings get polluted and silently sorrow..
    when you feel injustice and can’t prove the truth..
    when you wear the mask of joy to hide your sadness..
    when you stood in front of a mirror and can’t recognize yourself!!
    when you laugh out loud to coat your weep]

or when you...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Getting caught in my zipper always does it for me.

4. Jun 25, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That sounds like it would hurt a lot. Thankfully california doesn't get typhoons.

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

you do realize that isn’t a literal meaning of the typhoon

6. Jun 25, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seeing anything bad happen to my daughter would tear me apart.

I can't deal rationally with deliberate cruelty, either.

7. Jun 25, 2009 #6
    Can't afford this one.

By my current understanding, as for observing self misery/pain to self is just a part of life and you can't keep running away from it or keep it tearing you apart.

8. Jun 25, 2009 #7
    This is the most emo post I've seen in a while on PF. Shaking a hand I know is dirty doesn't bother me. I like wilderness so dirty isn't much of a problem in my mind.

The rest seem like character flaws to be honest.

9. Jun 25, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah this is beyond emo. This is physicsforums, not 14yearoldsuicidalemokidforums.

10. Jun 25, 2009 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

Shaking a dirty hand = Shake hands with [let's say] a bad guy

change your mind

FYI: I'm way far from being an emo :wink:

11. Jun 25, 2009 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

not suprised that you're Cy's freind

12. Jun 25, 2009 #11

JaredJames

Gold Member

Really? Although I suppose it means dirty as in 'done bad things - eg killed', I would have gone with dirty being, hasn't washed it after going to the toilet or something related to that (if you know what I mean). That does bother me, I mean seriously, you go into a toilet, see someone you know walk away from a urinal, not wash their hands and then offer to shake yours as they say hello, would you?

13. Jun 25, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might make you think "ick," but would it tear you apart? Just wash your hands after you shake hands.

14. Jun 25, 2009 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

though I wouldn't..like hell not! in fact it's even worse than what I meant:biggrin:

15. Jun 25, 2009 #14

JaredJames

Gold Member

Didn't say it would tear me apart, just said it would bother me, as the moose said it wouldn't bother him.
    Nah, certainly wouldn't tear me apart, but I wouldn't (and have refused to) shake hands with someone I saw doing that. Disgusting.

I mean come on, the last thing to touch that hand was his...
    You're practically holding it. :yuck:

16. Jun 25, 2009 #15

RonL

Gold Member

You never know where that hand shake might lead, I once shook a hand of a man that owned a rock quarry, it was almost black from oil and grease, and hard work. I was in sales back then and when he extended it I did not flinch, he was impressed to no end (which I found out later).

Through a chain of events over 30 years, that handshake has amassed a value close to half a mil.
    Moral of the story, be careful who or what, you shun.:wink:

17. Jun 25, 2009 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Have you even read anything we've written?

18. Jun 25, 2009 #17

RonL

Gold Member

I thought it was like a lovers quarrel:biggrin:

19. Jun 25, 2009 #18
    OHHHHH. Dirty hand = shaking the hand of someone I don't respect?

Doesn't really matter to me, I just don't look at them and give them a garbagety handshake. If it's someone I really have something against, there just won't be a handshake.

I know enough biology (quite little, but enough) to know that it won't be a problem as long as I make sure to wash my hands at some point after that...

20. Jun 25, 2009 #19
    Assuming that OP said that not to take meanings as literal I assumed that shaking hands meant going in agreement with someone who has evil intentions. I never give this much of thought initially.

I also don't understand what OP meant by "tear apart" and how long the thing supposed to "tear apart you". There are many things that can make me sad/give pain (which I understand as the meaning of "tear apart") while I probably will not be emo.

Recent examples:
    1) Iran instability
    2) Getting sick (just pain in the a**)

Losing job can also "tear you apart" when you have children (who are dependent on you).

21. Jun 26, 2009 #20

JaredJames

Gold Member

I have no problems with a dirty hand (oil, grease or dirt etc), I'd find it strange not to in those cases, if you can't handle a bit of dirt that's just plain ridiculous. It's generally the example I gave (in a toilet) where I'd be wary. Aside from that, ignorance is bliss (if they just left a bog I'll give them benefit of the doubt) and dirt as in what you mean doesn't bother me.

If it's someone I don't like, it depends on the reason for my dislike as to whether I ignore them or not (usually don't ignore them but some people deserve it).
    I know it isn't a problem wrt the toilet scenario, but just the thought of touching someones hand like that is enough to make me want to not to. See:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook