What would this curve look like? (hot air balloon problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the temperature inside a hot air balloon and its diameter, and how it affects the lifting capacity of the balloon. The formula for calculating the volume of a spherical balloon and the ideal gas law are mentioned as factors in this relationship. The conversation also mentions the optimum temperature for the air inside a hot air balloon and the need to know the mass of the air inside the balloon for accurate calculations.
Terminus
I'm just wondering what a curve would look like if the x-axis is the temperature inside a hot air balloon and the y-axis is the diameter (in feet) of the balloon. There's a relation in how many pounds a hot air balloon can lift based on this curve and I'm looking to see what a good balance would be between both x and y to be able to lift 400 pounds into the air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminus said:
I'm just wondering what a curve would look like if the x-axis is the temperature inside a hot air balloon and the y-axis is the diameter (in feet) of the balloon. There's a relation in how many pounds a hot air balloon can lift based on this curve and I'm looking to see what a good balance would be between both x and y to be able to lift 400 pounds into the air.

Let's take a shot at this. I think you only need two formulas.

Assume the balloon takes on a spherical shape, so it's Volume is
[tex] V = \frac{\pi D^3}{6}[/tex]

And assuming the air inside the balloon acts as an ideal gas
[tex]P V = n R T[/tex]

Once the balloon is fully expanded, the pressure is constant, so as the temperature (in Kelvins) increases, the number of gas molecules in the balloon decreases proportionally. So the change in density of the heated air is inversely proportional to the differnce in temperature between the ambient air and the air inside the balloon.

I understand the optimum temperature for the air inside a hot air balloon is just under the boiling point of water. Assume the outside air is a chill 5 degrees C.

If you knew the mass of the air contained in the volume of the balloon, that should be enough to calculate the lifting power.

Is that close enough?

1. What is the mathematical equation for the curve of a hot air balloon?

The curve of a hot air balloon can be described by a parabolic function, specifically a quadratic equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. The exact coefficients of a, b, and c will depend on the specific dimensions and characteristics of the hot air balloon.

2. How does the weight of the hot air balloon affect the shape of the curve?

The weight of the hot air balloon will affect the shape of the curve by changing the value of the coefficient a. A heavier balloon will have a higher value of a, resulting in a steeper and narrower curve. On the other hand, a lighter balloon will have a lower value of a, resulting in a flatter and wider curve.

3. What would happen to the curve if the hot air balloon is filled with helium instead of air?

If the hot air balloon is filled with helium instead of air, the curve would be slightly different due to the difference in density between the two gases. Helium is less dense than air, so the balloon would be able to lift more weight and the curve would be slightly flatter compared to a hot air balloon filled with air.

4. Can the shape of the curve change during the flight of a hot air balloon?

Yes, the shape of the curve can change during the flight of a hot air balloon. This can occur due to changes in temperature, wind conditions, and weight distribution within the balloon. The pilot can also manipulate the shape of the curve by adjusting the amount of hot air or gas in the balloon.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact curve of a hot air balloon?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the exact curve of a hot air balloon using mathematical equations and known variables such as weight, gas volume, and temperature. However, the curve may change slightly during the flight due to external factors. Therefore, it is important for the pilot to continuously monitor and adjust the balloon during the flight.