What would you do if you cannot become a scientist?

• Thread starter td21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the conversation revolved around the participants discussing their interests in becoming a physicist and the various career paths they might have pursued if not for that. These included becoming a police officer, a veterinarian, or a chef. The participants also shared their passions for teaching, research, and helping others through their chosen career paths.
td21
Gold Member
I want to be a physicist in any area of physics. The reason is it is an ideal job for me. I love teaching and I love doing research.
I enjoy sharing my knowledge and finding things out. In my mind, physicist = physics educator + physics researcher. Being a physicist can allow me to do both. I am interested in ALL areas of physics. Basically I am a physics geek. So I really hope that i can have the chance to become a physicist one day. But i know that a crucial step is to get a high-quality PhD degree.
What would you do if you cannot become a scientist?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a good chance I would have ended up as a cop.

Through grad school I worked with our campus security as an auxiliary officer and loved it. In fact, there was a time when I had decided I'd had enough of graduate school and physics and decided I was going to become a cop and that was all there was to it. Unfortunately my vision didn't meet the requirements for most police forces and somehow that re-directed me back to physics - albeit in a different branch. I could have overcome that obstacle - laser eye surgery and such - but this physics thing has worked very well for me so far.

Yeah, probably a cop too. With the hopes of being a homicide detective at some point.

I don't know if this counts, since it is within the science field, but I'd probably be a veterinarian. If a vet doesn't count, i'd volunteer my time to run a homeless shelter/teen center or help people starving to death in africa or something. Do something to help my fellow creatures. Of course, I should probably use some of my time to do that anyways...

I am a chef already ^^ It's kind of a science mixed with feeling. I like it :P

lendav_rott said:
I am a chef already ^^ It's kind of a science mixed with feeling. I like it :P

Cooking is definitely science mixed with creativity.

Choppy said:
There's a good chance I would have ended up as a cop.

Nunchi said:
Yeah, probably a cop too. With the hopes of being a homicide detective at some point.

stardust said:
I don't know if this counts, since it is within the science field, but I'd probably be a veterinarian.

Interesting. Police officer was high on my list coming out of high school, but I ended up going into Engineering/Science. Now that I know how much I enjoy patient contacts and medicine, I would have gone into emergency medicine. Preferably an Emergency Department Doc. And maybe spending some time as a tactical medic/doc for PD... :smile:

1. What other career options are available if I cannot become a scientist?

There are many career paths available for individuals who are interested in science but cannot become a scientist. Some options include science education, science communication, science policy, and science journalism.

2. Can I still work in a scientific field if I am not a scientist?

Yes, there are many roles in the scientific field that do not require a scientific degree. Some examples include laboratory technicians, research assistants, data analysts, and science writers.

3. Will I still be able to contribute to scientific advancements if I cannot become a scientist?

Absolutely! There are many ways to contribute to scientific advancements, such as through volunteering for research studies, participating in citizen science projects, or advocating for science-based policies.

4. How can I continue to pursue my interest in science if I cannot become a scientist?

There are many ways to continue pursuing your interest in science, even if you cannot become a scientist. You could read scientific literature, attend science conferences and lectures, or join a science club or organization.

5. Is it possible to become a scientist later in life if I cannot do so now?

Yes, it is never too late to pursue a career in science. Many scientists come from diverse backgrounds and may have started their scientific careers later in life. With dedication, perseverance, and a strong passion for science, anything is possible.