Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you do?

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I went out for a bike ride today, and just as I was getting home I stopped at the traffic lights. There was a middle aged man walking along the pavement with his (obviously disabled) son, who was probably 20 odd or therabouts. The father was holding his son's hand, and they were walking slowly and obviously enjoying walking past parkland and deer in the spring evening sunshine.

Next to me (at the lights) a car pulled up, with 3 young men in. They wound down the window and one of them started shouting all sorts of offensive comments at the father; at first I think they thought the man and son were a homosexual couple (and based their insults around this) and when the dispairing father told this twat that his son was disabled, this dude in the car just carried on, making his comments even more offensive.

I was so shocked at what I'd just witnessed all I could do was look at this father who was clearly very hurt at what had just been said, while the car drove off with the other passengers laughing. No idea what I should (or could) have done but I hope that these utter twunts get what they deserve.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Usually, I growl, snarl and look really mean at people like those jerks. That's usually enough.

4. Apr 25, 2006 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

...and get your butt handed to you...

5. Apr 25, 2006 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually? USUALLY?! I've never come across anything so disgraceful in my life!

6. Apr 25, 2006 #5
    Were you on a motorbike or bicycle?

7. Apr 25, 2006 #6
    :grumpy: ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr@ mean people..I'm with Astro on this one

8. Apr 25, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Usually in that situation, I meant, but fortunately, I don't usually encounter that situation.

I have been in situations though. But fortunately such people back down, or run.

I think most of the time I get to level of :grumpy: , but I have gotten to level of :mad: , and once to :devil: (tasmanian kind), which I don't like to be. It gets very unpleasant.

9. Apr 25, 2006 #8

berkeman

One possible action is to phone the police and tell them you just witnessed a road rage incident, and give them the license number of the car and the description of the occupants and their travel direction. Depending on how your local police treat road rage, and how busy they are at that moment, the fools in the car might get a stop and search. If they were acting that stupid, there's a good chance that the search would turn up something.

10. Apr 25, 2006 #9
    Why not just punch the guy in the face and drive off? He's not going to catch a motorcycle. No way....

11. Apr 25, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some people are just absolutely hateful, aren't they? :grumpy: Brewie, I'm not sure what you could have done that wouldn't have escalated it further, other than give them the finger (or is it two in the land of the Brits?) as they drove off. What can you really do other than chalk it up to complete ignorant rudeness on their part?

12. Apr 25, 2006 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

I think it's the V-sign in Britain:wink:

13. Apr 25, 2006 #12
    A nicely tossed grenade would do the trick.

14. Apr 26, 2006 #13

wolram

Gold Member

There is only one thing i HATE worse than people being cruel to animals,
    :mad: i detest such scum bags with all my heart, if i had my way they
    would not have anything left to pee with after such attack.

15. Apr 26, 2006 #14
    Little ****s would deserve it.

16. Apr 26, 2006 #15
    I think the best thing to do in a situation like this would be to go up to the father and son after the cretins left and assure them that you found the behavior shocking, completely uncalled for, and probably criminal. The reason is that when something like this happens to me, I am thrown into wondering whether or not I somehow did something to deserve or, at least, invite the treatment. The first thing you really need when something shocking like that happens is assurance that the wrong is a wrong, and was undeserved. You recall how I reacted to the bicycletree woundpicking incident.

17. Apr 26, 2006 #16
    Thats sad. When I see stuff like that, I fell like crying. I usually just look at the hurt people and express concern and empathy by my kinesics. I just want to give them a hug, but that would be wierd.

18. Apr 27, 2006 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a bicycle, hence me not punching the twunt in the face.

Don't think the Police would have done anything, it wasn't road rage and they weren't physically violent towards anyone, or creating a danger. Police are wank round here anyway.

19. Apr 27, 2006 #18
    I guess you cant do much in reality.. That seems like one of those things where after you wish you had done or said something, but really what would you do. Not worth getting your ass kicked or escalating the situation. Even if you did say somthing, they just might take it out on the father and son on the next circle around the block. What should happen in that situation is a car full of big guys next to them who jump out and smash thier windows and faces.

Rant over.

20. Apr 27, 2006 #19

Mk

Give the victims $10 and your kindness.

21. Apr 28, 2006 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Personally, I would yell back at them. I'm not exactly worried about something getting started (one of the benefits of being "imposing" in stature). You do have to be a bit careful now a days because it seems that guys are doing stuff like this in order to start something. I would most definitely at least say something reassuring to the people that were being yelled at.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?