What Are the Benefits of an Engineering Internship?

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, internships in the engineering field, particularly in computer and electrical engineering, involve technical tasks such as paperwork, designing materials and instruments, and conducting research. They are valuable experiences for undergrads to gain real-world experience, determine their interests, and make connections in their field. These opportunities are more readily available to juniors, seniors, and grad students, but can also be obtained earlier.
ranger
Gold Member
I'd like to know what an internship is like in the engineering field. Preferably in computer and/or electrical engineering field. What are some of the technical things you did? Whats the purpose of an internship anyway? Do all engineering undergrads have to take this? Whats the best time for an internship, junior or senior year?

--thank you :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
technical things? well, you grind the coffee, operate the coffee maker, pour and deliver coffee to the engineers, and THEN, you might get lucky enough to sit in on a meeting that nothing gets accomplished in except a bunch of departmental posturing and department heads trying to convince the head man why their project should not get cut.

note-- while my tongue was firmly in my cheek, many times this is what you encounter depending on the place you get an internship with.

Oh my, coffee, I had no idea. Looks my PT job at the coffee house may come in handy.

I'm not an engineer, but I can tell you what I lot of my friends have done in internships and co-ops. It is harder to get such an opportunity as a freshman or sophomore, but definitely worth while, the sooner the better. Juniors, seniors, and grad students usually get accepted into most internship programs.

A friend of mine got a co-op position at United Space Alliance her sophomore year. She primarily worked on paperwork for the Space Shuttle. She learned that engineering wasn't what she wanted to do with her life, and dropped out.

My NASA internship this summer was primarily for engineers (who never brought their bosses coffee). They were essentially employees for the summer, working on real projects such as designing composite materials, testing materials, designing instruments for a mission to Mars, artificial intelligence research, propulsion, and other things I don't much understand. All of them were either seniors or early grad students.

None of those are computer or electrical projects, but I listed them just to give you an idea. As a side note, all of the above were paid (some are volunteer-only).

In my opinion, internships are very valuable because they provide you with real experience in your field. You can discover what you like and what you don't like. You'll also make contacts in your field, which can be very important to your career. Take advantage of internship opportunities if you can.

What is an internship like?

An internship is a work experience program that allows students or recent graduates to gain practical skills and knowledge in a specific field. It is usually a temporary position and can be either paid or unpaid.

What are the benefits of doing an internship?

Internships offer several benefits, including gaining hands-on experience, developing professional skills, building a network, and improving your resume. It also gives you an opportunity to explore a career path and determine if it is the right fit for you.

What can I expect during an internship?

The specifics of an internship experience can vary depending on the company and position. However, you can expect to have a supervisor or mentor who will guide you, perform tasks related to your field of study, and have opportunities for learning and growth.

How long does an internship last?

The duration of an internship can vary from a few weeks to a year, depending on the company and the program. Some internships may also have the option to extend the duration based on performance and availability.

What are the differences between a paid and unpaid internship?

A paid internship offers monetary compensation for the work done, while an unpaid internship does not. In addition, paid internships may have a more structured program and offer more benefits, such as mentorship and networking opportunities. However, unpaid internships can still provide valuable experience and may be necessary for some industries.