Whats the difference between progressive wave and stationary waves ?

In summary, when plucking a stringed instrument, you are making a "kink" in the string which contains the fundamental and its overtones (not a continuum!). The highest overtones dissipate much more quickly, and so the tone quickly settles to something more like the fundamental and a few overtones (which gives the instrument its characteristic "sound").

Bulk Waves: I refer you to Seismic waves. P waves (longitudinal) propagate through the solid mantle and the liquid outer core. S waves (transverse) only propagate through the mantle. Liquid 'slips' in shear mode so how can a transverse wave propagate if there is no transverse force between adjacent regions to allow a wave to propagate? I guess that where there is significant viscosity, a wave could propagate a short distance - until the energy dissipates due to the friction forces but not over a long distance. I cannot envisage a mechanism for transverse waves to propagate in a gas, when all you have is impulses transmitted from molecule to molecule via (pretty much elastic) collisions.

Surface Waves: On the surface of a solid and liquid propagate by transverse and longitudinal displacement. The transverse component is there because the average volume will remain the same during longitudinal displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org

sophiecentaur said:
Surface Waves: On the surface of a solid and liquid propagate by transverse and longitudinal displacement. The transverse component is there because the average volume will remain the same during longitudinal displacement.

The restoring force for surface gravity waves acts transversely, so one might more usefully argue that the longitudinal component is there solely to satisfy volume conservation.

Meanwhile, all intuition goes by the wayside when you leave the free surface and consider internal gravity waves.

Again, my point is that waves other than longitudinal pressure waves can exist and propagate in a(n inviscid) fluid, because there are restoring forces other than those which oppose material stresses.

Last edited:

olivermsun said:
Again, my point is that waves other than longitudinal pressure waves can exist and propagate in a(n inviscid) fluid, because there are restoring forces other than those which oppose material stresses.

These are Surface waves - requiring an interface with another medium and not Bulk waves. The 'no-transverse wave' bit only applies to bulk, 'internal' waves. Clearly, there is a restoring force for the transverse component of a surface wave, even when this is not gravity but internal tension - as with Surface Acoustic Waves on a substrate such as quartz. There are also surface Seismic waves but they have a very short range compared with the bulk waves.

sophiecentaur said:
These are Surface waves - requiring an interface with another medium and not Bulk waves. The 'no-transverse wave' bit only applies to bulk, 'internal' waves.

Internal gravity waves in a continuously stratified fluid do not work across any clear interface. You may argue that these are another form of surface waves, but the physics really look quite different.

But where is this all going? When I said that waving your arm up and down could excite propagating waves, I did it to point out some interesting waves which are neither of the types you described, not to have a semantic argument.

olivermsun said:
Internal gravity waves in a continuously stratified fluid do not work across any clear interface. You may argue that these are another form of surface waves, but the physics really look quite different.

But where is this all going? When I said that waving your arm up and down could excite propagating waves, I did it to point out some interesting waves which are neither of the types you described, not to have a semantic argument.

I see how a stratified medium could support your 'gravity' waves but that's not far different from a surface wave, is it? If you had made it clear that this was what you were alluding to, originally, then things could have been a lot easier.
Of course waving my arms up and down in an ideal fluid could well launch a wave that would comprise longitudinal (compression ) displacements along with some vortices. But I do not see where you would get any shear forces which would be necessary for a transverse wave to propagate. This isn't semantics, it's basic fluid mechanics, surely.

sophiecentaur said:
I see how a stratified medium could support your 'gravity' waves but that's not far different from a surface wave, is it?
I suppose that would be a matter for the viewer to decide: http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/programs/doubdiff/demos/IW1-Lowfrequency.html
(movie link at the bottom).

Interestingly, the excitation in this particularly example is caused by moving the disk side-to-side.

A good article. Just like waves 'on' water just a much lower restoring force. A lot harder to see though and an interesting measurement technique. All very low frequency, I should think.

sophiecentaur said:
Electricity is such a well joined up topic, in the way that radiated energy 'appears' as a resistance.

Yeah, power radiated happens to be proportional to amplitude of current squared, just like impedance.

Quick question. The load at the end of a transmission line is transformed to a new impedance, and it is this impedance that the transmitter sees. Is the impedance that the transmitter sees from antenna radiation equal to the radiation resistance, or is the radiation resistance transformed to a different impedance at the transmitter? In other words, is the 73 Ohms at the load, or at the transmitter?

The 73ohms is what you see, looking into the feed point. Looking towards the transmitter, you see the output impedance of the transmitter, transformed by the length of 75 or 50 ohm feeder,

<h2>1. What is the main difference between progressive wave and stationary waves?</h2><p>Progressive waves are characterized by a transfer of energy through a medium, while stationary waves do not transfer energy and instead remain in a fixed position.</p><h2>2. How do progressive waves and stationary waves form?</h2><p>Progressive waves are created by a disturbance in a medium, causing particles to vibrate and transfer energy. Stationary waves are formed by the interference of two progressive waves traveling in opposite directions.</p><h2>3. What are the properties of progressive waves?</h2><p>Progressive waves have a constant amplitude and frequency, and they travel in a straight line through a medium.</p><h2>4. What are the properties of stationary waves?</h2><p>Stationary waves have varying amplitudes and frequencies at different points along the wave, and they do not travel through a medium.</p><h2>5. How are progressive waves and stationary waves used in real-life applications?</h2><p>Progressive waves are used in communication technologies such as radio and television, while stationary waves are utilized in musical instruments and medical imaging devices.</p>

1. What is the main difference between progressive wave and stationary waves?

Progressive waves are characterized by a transfer of energy through a medium, while stationary waves do not transfer energy and instead remain in a fixed position.

2. How do progressive waves and stationary waves form?

Progressive waves are created by a disturbance in a medium, causing particles to vibrate and transfer energy. Stationary waves are formed by the interference of two progressive waves traveling in opposite directions.

3. What are the properties of progressive waves?

Progressive waves have a constant amplitude and frequency, and they travel in a straight line through a medium.

4. What are the properties of stationary waves?

Stationary waves have varying amplitudes and frequencies at different points along the wave, and they do not travel through a medium.

5. How are progressive waves and stationary waves used in real-life applications?

Progressive waves are used in communication technologies such as radio and television, while stationary waves are utilized in musical instruments and medical imaging devices.