What's the formula for adding two complex numbers in polar form?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a formula for adding or subtracting two complex numbers in polar form using cosine and sine functions. The individual asking the question has seen such a formula in a book and is looking for a ready-made version to use in an upcoming exam. While they have tried searching for the formula using a search engine, they have not been successful. Others suggest converting the numbers to rectangular form, adding them, and then converting back to polar form, but the individual is looking for a direct formula. There is also discussion about different representations of complex numbers and how any formula for adding or subtracting them in polar form will ultimately involve converting to and from rectangular form.
Juwane
I really, really need to know the formula that adds (or subtracts) two complex numbers in polar form, and NOT in rectangular form. I know there is such formula (I saw it in some book), and it's composed of cosines and sines.

Please, please don't tell me to convert back to rectangular form, add them, then covert them back to polar form--that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a formula that accepts two complex numbers in polar form, adds them, and gives the answer in polar form.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Juwane said:
I really, really need to know the formula that adds (or subtracts) two complex numbers in polar form, and NOT in rectangular form. I know there is such formula (I saw it in some book), and it's composed of cosines and sines.

Please, please don't tell me to convert back to rectangular form, add them, then covert them back to polar form--that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a formula that accepts two complex numbers in polar form, adds them, and gives the answer in polar form.

Thank you.

Well, what do you think it would look like? It would have to use something like the law of sines or cosines, wouldn't it?

berkeman said:
It would have to use something like the law of sines or cosines, wouldn't it?

Maybe, but I need the final, ready-made form of the formula.

Juwane said:
Maybe, but I need the final, ready-made form of the formula.

Then why don't you just figure it out?

berkeman said:
Then why don't you just figure it out?

I CAN'T. I've tried, but I can't really. Also, I have to use it in an exam tomorrow, and I've got other stuff to study, and I don't have time to figure it out. Please.

Juwane said:
I CAN'T. I've tried, but I can't really. Also, I have to use it in an exam tomorrow, and I've got other stuff to study, and I don't have time to figure it out. Please.

But you can use a search engine, right? It took me about 30 seconds to find it with a google search. I googled vector addition polar coordinates, and got lots of hits. One of the places it suggested was Hyperphyics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Go there, and search on vector addition. That will get you to the formula.

I'm not so much trying to be a jerk here -- you need to learn how to learn, in addition to learning the material. Hope the test goes well.

But if you convert to rectangular form, add, then convert back to polar form, won't that give you the formula you're asking for?

berkeman said:
But you can use a search engine, right? It took me about 30 seconds to find it with a google search. I googled vector addition polar coordinates, and got lots of hits. One of the places it suggested was Hyperphyics:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Go there, and search on vector addition. That will get you to the formula.

I'm not so much trying to be a jerk here -- you need to learn how to learn, in addition to learning the material. Hope the test goes well.

I've used a search engine many times before I posted this question here. I couldn't find anything. I've a faint idea that the formula has to do with parallelogram law. However, I need a formula for adding two complex numbers in polar form, so the vectors have to be in polar form as well.

Mentallic -- I've tried your idea, but there are two parts of the complex number to consider--the real and the imaginary part. I just can't figure how to get them. I'll try some more. If I get the formula I'll post it here.

Juwane said:
I've used a search engine many times before I posted this question here. I couldn't find anything. I've a faint idea that the formula has to do with parallelogram law. However, I need a formula for adding two complex numbers in polar form, so the vectors have to be in polar form as well.

Mentallic -- I've tried your idea, but there are two parts of the complex number to consider--the real and the imaginary part. I just can't figure how to get them. I'll try some more. If I get the formula I'll post it here.

Treat the complex numbers like vectors to do the addition (and to figure out the formula that you want). The Real part is just the part in the x-direction, and the Imaginary part is in the y-direction.

As Mentallic says, just write out the sum in components, and convert back to polar as part of the whole equation.

[tex] \textbf{A} = A < \theta_1 [/tex]

[tex] \textbf{B} = B < \theta_2 [/tex]

[tex] \textbf{A} + \textbf{B} = ? [/tex]

Juwane said:
Please, please don't tell me to convert back to rectangular form, add them, then covert them back to polar form--that's not what I'm looking for.

Convert them back to rectangular form, add them, convert them back.

Seriously. What are you getting worked up over? That's the only way to do it. Any other way is going to be equivalent to that.

To be technical, the "numbers" themselves don't have forms. "Polar form" and "rectangular form" are two different representations of those numbers. They aren't the only two representations either. You could easily covert complex numbers to matrix form, then just use matrix multiplication, then convert to polar form again.

Regardless of how you try to do it, your formula will just be a disguised variation of converting the numbers to and from rectangular form.

Juwane said:
Are you sure you saw it in some book? I may be looking at the wrong books, but I've checked a number of Pre-Calculus books and none of them had any formula for adding/subtracting complex numbers in polar form. They did have formulas for multiplying/dividing complex numbers in polar form, DeMoivre's Theorem, and roots of complex numbers. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, either, but I'm wondering if you're confusing formulas.

OK, for a complex number a, written as r ei(theta), what is that in rectangular?

You could convert the polar form to Cartesian, add, and then convert back, as has been suggested but doing that in general gives a very messy formula.

There simply is no nice formula for adding in polar coordinates. Use polar coordinates for multiplying complex numbers, Cartesian coordinates for adding them.

That's why we have both!

1. What is the formula for adding two complex numbers in polar form?

The formula for adding two complex numbers in polar form is z1+z2 = r1e1 + r2e2 = (r1cos(θ1) + r2cos(θ2)) + i(r1sin(θ1) + r2sin(θ2)).

2. How do you add two complex numbers in polar form?

To add two complex numbers in polar form, you first convert them to rectangular form using the formula z = r(cos(θ) + isin(θ)). Then, you simply add the real parts and the imaginary parts separately to obtain the sum in rectangular form. Finally, you can convert the sum back to polar form if desired.

3. Can you add two complex numbers in polar form without converting to rectangular form?

Yes, you can add two complex numbers in polar form without converting to rectangular form by using the formula z1+z2 = (r1e1)(r2e2) = (r1r2)ei(θ12). This method is more efficient but may be more challenging to visualize.

4. What is the purpose of adding complex numbers in polar form?

Adding complex numbers in polar form allows us to combine the magnitude and direction of two complex numbers. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Are there any special cases when adding complex numbers in polar form?

Yes, there are a few special cases when adding complex numbers in polar form. For example, if the two numbers have the same magnitude but opposite directions, their sum will have a magnitude of 0 and a direction of 180 degrees. Additionally, if one of the numbers has a magnitude of 0, the sum will simply be the other number. It is important to consider these special cases when adding complex numbers in polar form.