What's the keyboard shortcut to adding tex or itex tags?

• Thread starter DryRun
  • Start date
In summary, Tex and itex tags are used for formatting mathematical equations and expressions, with the main difference being that itex tags are a simplified version of tex tags. To add these tags to a document, you can use a keyboard shortcut, such as "Ctrl + K" on a PC or "Command + K" on a Mac, or use the "Insert" tab or menu. Some text editors or software also allow for customization of keyboard shortcuts for adding these tags. Additionally, tex and itex tags are commonly used in documents that require mathematical equations, but may not be supported by all text editors or software.
DryRun
Gold Member
When typing in the text editor, if i press Ctrl+I then italics BBC are automatically inserted into the post. But what is the shortcut for adding tex and itex tags?

If for some odd reason, there isn't such a thing yet, it would be a really really excellent idea to implement this into the forum software, as it gets very tiring to type out these tags, especially in long posts, or when replying/helping several people.

Physics news on Phys.org
No keyboard shortcut, but you can use $$ which is easy to type.

$$ for tex and ## for itex.

1. What is the difference between tex and itex tags?

Tex and itex tags are both used for formatting mathematical equations and expressions in a document. The main difference is that itex tags are a simplified version of tex tags, and are often used for simpler equations or for equations that need to be displayed in a smaller font size.

2. How do I add tex or itex tags to my document?

The keyboard shortcut for adding tex or itex tags depends on the text editor or software you are using. However, a common shortcut is to use the "Ctrl + K" keys on a PC or "Command + K" keys on a Mac. Alternatively, you can also use the "Insert" tab or menu and select the "Equation" option to add tex or itex tags.

3. Can I customize the keyboard shortcut for adding tex or itex tags?

Yes, some text editors or software allow you to customize keyboard shortcuts for specific functions, including adding tex or itex tags. You can usually find this option in the settings or preferences menu of your text editor or software.

4. Are there other ways to add tex or itex tags without using a keyboard shortcut?

Yes, you can also use the "Insert" tab or menu and select the "Equation" option to add tex or itex tags. Some text editors or software also have a toolbar or menu specifically for formatting mathematical equations, which may include options for adding tex or itex tags.

5. Can I use tex or itex tags in any type of document?

Tex and itex tags are commonly used in documents such as research papers, reports, and presentations that require mathematical equations or expressions. However, not all text editors or software support tex or itex tags, so it is best to check with your specific software before using them.