What's the value of a Bachelor's in Math?

• Math
  • Thread starter muzihc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: A B.A. is not as important as a B.S. for getting a job in the field of math, although the two are still seen as respectable.
muzihc
I'm going to graduate from an average state school in 2011 with a math degree. I AM planning to graduate with honors.

What jobs will I find?

How much of a difference does a Master's make? Two more years isn't a big deal, but I've had my fill of academia, so I'd rather go straight to the job market--unless a Master's really helps.

Edit:

Also--and it pains me to say this--I will be graduating with a B.A. instead of a B.S. For a B.S., I only need ONE additional math course, but the thing is I have to select my minor from the hard sciences, and I've already completed my minor (psychology). If a B.S. is a really big deal, I'd be willing to jam in the extra 6 or so courses that I'd need, though. I'd probably choose economics or biology.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any experience or interest in programming?

lisab said:
Do you have any experience or interest in programming?

I'm a little interested, my only experience is a course in C programming.

How much programming would I need to know?

To my knowledge, although I have little personal experience, there isn't too much of a difference between a B.A. and B.S. nowadays, particularly if your interested in getting a Masters or Doctorate later.

The most traditional thing to do with a Math Major is become a Math teacher at the high/middle school level.

A master's will allow you to teach at the post-secondary level, either teaching AP classes in a high school or lower division classes at a college or university.
So yes, it does open up a significant number of jobs.

A B.A. is typical for people who want to teach and have a minor (well-rounded), while B.S. is more geared towards preparation for graduate school and research. However this will not have as much effect in admission to grad school as the GRE or your gpa will.

All the math majors I know plan to go to graduate/medical/veterinary/dental school or teach at the high school level.

What is a Bachelor's in Math?

A Bachelor's in Math is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the study of mathematics, including topics such as algebra, calculus, and statistics. It typically takes four years to complete and provides students with a strong foundation in mathematical principles and problem-solving skills.

What career opportunities are available with a Bachelor's in Math?

A Bachelor's in Math can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in data analysis, actuarial science, finance, teaching, and research. This degree can also serve as a stepping stone to graduate studies in fields such as mathematics, computer science, or engineering.

Is a Bachelor's in Math a valuable degree?

Yes, a Bachelor's in Math can be a valuable degree due to the high demand for individuals with strong mathematical skills in various industries. Graduates with this degree often have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical abilities, which are highly sought after by employers.

What skills will I gain from a Bachelor's in Math?

Aside from a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques, a Bachelor's in Math can also help you develop skills in logical reasoning, critical thinking, data analysis, and problem-solving. These skills are not only valuable in a career in mathematics but can also be applied in many other fields.

Can I pursue a Bachelor's in Math even if I'm not a "math person"?

Absolutely! While a natural aptitude for math can certainly be helpful, anyone with an interest in and dedication to learning can succeed in a Bachelor's in Math program. With hard work and determination, you can develop the skills and knowledge needed to excel in this field, regardless of your initial affinity for mathematics.