What's the value of a Bachelor's in Math?

  • Topic: Math 
  • Thread starter Thread starter muzihc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
muzihc
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I'm going to graduate from an average state school in 2011 with a math degree. I AM planning to graduate with honors.

What jobs will I find?

How much of a difference does a Master's make? Two more years isn't a big deal, but I've had my fill of academia, so I'd rather go straight to the job market--unless a Master's really helps.

Edit:

Also--and it pains me to say this--I will be graduating with a B.A. instead of a B.S. For a B.S., I only need ONE additional math course, but the thing is I have to select my minor from the hard sciences, and I've already completed my minor (psychology). If a B.S. is a really big deal, I'd be willing to jam in the extra 6 or so courses that I'd need, though. I'd probably choose economics or biology.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any experience or interest in programming?
 
lisab said:
Do you have any experience or interest in programming?

I'm a little interested, my only experience is a course in C programming.

How much programming would I need to know?
 
To my knowledge, although I have little personal experience, there isn't too much of a difference between a B.A. and B.S. nowadays, particularly if your interested in getting a Masters or Doctorate later.

The most traditional thing to do with a Math Major is become a Math teacher at the high/middle school level.
 
A master's will allow you to teach at the post-secondary level, either teaching AP classes in a high school or lower division classes at a college or university.
So yes, it does open up a significant number of jobs.

A B.A. is typical for people who want to teach and have a minor (well-rounded), while B.S. is more geared towards preparation for graduate school and research. However this will not have as much effect in admission to grad school as the GRE or your gpa will.

All the math majors I know plan to go to graduate/medical/veterinary/dental school or teach at the high school level.