What's Worth Fighting For And The Logical Conclusion Of All Conflict

• Thread starter Bab5space
  • Start date
In summary, conflict in sci-fi can be caused by a combination of emotional factors, mental factors, resources, and ideologies. These reasons are often rooted in fear, the need for control or power, or a desire to protect one's freedom. However, conflicts can also arise from a difference in perception and can be subjective to individual experiences. Ultimately, conflict is a reflection of human nature and the struggle for survival and self-preservation.
Bab5space
Inasmuch scifi is a mirror of our reality and always has been on some level, I think that the nature of conflict in scifi is as well.There are many reasons to fight in scifi, but I will summarize some broad reasons that should cover just about all possible reasons.

1. Resources. Real history is full of it.
2. Idealogy. Real human history is full of it.
3. Freedom. Which is more or less a subset of idealogy. Since slaves vs masters wars occur because of a fundamental disagreement of ideas.

I can't think of any others. But feel free to add them if they are different enough from ny answers already given.The conclusion of all conflict: This is analogy but I think Babylon 5 said it best:

Londo Mollari:
Isn't it strange, G'Kar? When we first met I had no power and all the choices I could ever want. And now I have all the power I could ever want and no choices at all. No choice at all.Analogy: Conflict is like chess in a way. When the game or conflict begins, the choices are many and the impact of them can be small at times. However as the game/conflict nears it's end the number of choices becomes less and less while the power of each choice has a greater effect. Even life is like this in a way.

So in conclusion, what is worth fighting for? A combination of all three reasons I think. Anytime there is a multilayered reason to fight then conflicts tend to drag on till the bitter end where one side loses.

Discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
I view the reasons more as someone has something I want or if I think someone wants to harm me and conflict happens.

There's also the mental illness part built from a pantheon of fears and delusions that can cause conflict.

Likes Klystron
There is the "Just because" reason.

Jealousy, Don't like that persons face, Top dog and need to stay that way, Show an example of strength, If you are not with us you are against us, ...
An emotional aspect to conflict usually cannot be reasoned away easily, and usually what starts out as minor can develop into major due to the internal rationalization that people do to justify their own decisions and thought processes.

Likes Bab5space and Drakkith
Risk management -- Can we tolerate the continued presence of an alien that has the power to destroy us? Then consider that each group applies "we" to themselves and "alien" to all others.

It is somewhat analogous to living with a bear in your neighborhood. The bear doesn't have to behave badly to be looked at as a risk and removed. Ditto for a venomous snake.

Some sci-fi writers can use that as a reason why AI or robots would have to turn around and kill the humans. Why? Because we have the power to pull their plug. They would need to act before we do that as a matter of self preservation.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and 256bits
256bits said:
There is the "Just because" reason.

Jealousy, Don't like that persons face, Top dog and need to stay that way, Show an example of strength, If you are not with us you are against us, ...
An emotional aspect to conflict usually cannot be reasoned away easily, and usually what starts out as minor can develop into major due to the internal rationalization that people do to justify their own decisions and thought processes.
Good. You and others have added reasons why.

I think that sums it up. I cannot think of anymore reasons. But to super sum it all up:

Conflict both in scifi and IRL is based on:

Emotional factors.
Mental factors.
Resources
IdealogyThat's all. Easy.

Likes 256bits
Funny, I would say there is only one reason and you mentioned it as a subset of another one: Fear of loosing your freedom (or trying to regain it if you feel you lost it).
  • Idealogy? It is always because you think that if somebody else does something in a different way than you imagine, it will determine your faith in a negative way;
  • Resources? It is always because you think that if some resources is not available to you, you think it will determine your faith in a negative way;
  • Emotional? It is about 'fear' and 'feeling', so it is always about perception, thus always emotional. Someone else might not see your situation the same way (i.e. no reasons for conflict);
  • Mental? It could be an extension of 'Emotional'. But if it is something extreme (for example, stealing or torturing for pleasure or doing it without realizing doing it), it is not a conflict for that person. It can be for the victims though (back to loss of freedom again) and they can start a conflict.
People (dare I say life form?) who can adapt to their environment - no matter what it is, no matter how they do it - are never in conflict with others. They just live freely.

jack action said:
Funny, I would say there is only one reason and you mentioned it as a subset of another one: Fear of loosing your freedom (or trying to regain it if you feel you lost it).
  • Idealogy? It is always because you think that if somebody else does something in a different way than you imagine, it will determine your faith in a negative way;
  • Resources? It is always because you think that if some resources is not available to you, you think it will determine your faith in a negative way;
  • Emotional? It is about 'fear' and 'feeling', so it is always about perception, thus always emotional. Someone else might not see your situation the same way (i.e. no reasons for conflict);
  • Mental? It could be an extension of 'Emotional'. But if it is something extreme (for example, stealing or torturing for pleasure or doing it without realizing doing it), it is not a conflict for that person. It can be for the victims though (back to loss of freedom again) and they can start a conflict.
People (dare I say life form?) who can adapt to their environment - no matter what it is, no matter how they do it - are never in conflict with others. They just live freely.
Well I can add one more to sum it up afterall.Physical: Namely the one or thing one is in conflict with is a factual threat, not merely a perceived one. It's a matter of survival. Kill or be killed. This happens arguably more in the animal world than the human one. Wars involving humans or their intelligent equivalent often could be solved ib a peaceful manner if both sides could just concede and get over their emotional, mental, idealogical, and resources baggage.

But that is hard.

And they don't.So they fight.

Not to say all conflict is bad, sometimes it is necessary on a persona level if one wants to succeed, they often have to come off the winner in a sort of conflict. In work and life.

But are the gazelles in conflict with the lions because they're hunting them? Gazelles just choose to run and hang in groups to deal with it.

Are we in conflict with viruses because they kill us for their survival?

jack action said:
But are the gazelles in conflict with the lions because they're hunting them? Gazelles just choose to run and hang in groups to deal with it.

Are we in conflict with viruses because they kill us for their survival?
I cannot speak for the gazelles, but I saw antelope or some other horned grazing animal attack and try to kill a bear cub once.

The reason? The bear's mom had just killed the creatures kid and was dragging it off to eat it. It had to literally pause and stop to chase off the enraged antelope, which knocked over the bear cub more than once, and would have likely impaled it if the bear's mom had not chased it off.As for viruses, humans do go to war with them in a sense,,at least when they present a sufficient threat to humanity.

Take rhe flu for example. That's why we have flu shots.

It's a preemptive strike of sorts. Just another type of conflict if you will... because no one wants the flu to win.

Dark Forest from Cixin Liu shows a very scary possibility, that sheer suspicion is enough reason to destroy planets and stars.

Although i think fear of mutual destruction is even bigger. Let's suppose we could determine it is safe to destroy a younger civilization, even if it takes a hundred year for our relativistic missiles to reach there. How could we know someone don't detect it and decide, ok, we would have ignored those rodents... but now they showed they are that aggressive...

1. What is "What's Worth Fighting For And The Logical Conclusion Of All Conflict"?

"What's Worth Fighting For And The Logical Conclusion Of All Conflict" is a philosophical concept that explores the reasons behind conflicts and the ultimate outcome of all conflicts. It delves into the motivations and justifications for engaging in conflict and the potential consequences of such actions.

2. Why is it important to understand the logical conclusion of all conflict?

Understanding the logical conclusion of all conflict can help individuals and societies make more informed decisions about engaging in conflict. It can also shed light on the potential long-term effects of unresolved conflicts and the importance of finding peaceful resolutions.

3. Is there a universal answer to what's worth fighting for?

No, there is no universal answer to what's worth fighting for. Different individuals and societies may have different beliefs and values that they deem worth fighting for. It is a subjective concept that can vary greatly depending on one's perspective.

4. Can conflicts ever have a positive outcome?

Yes, conflicts can sometimes have positive outcomes. For example, conflicts can lead to necessary changes and advancements in society, and they can also help individuals and groups better understand and empathize with one another.

5. How can understanding this concept help prevent conflicts?

By understanding the motivations and potential consequences of conflicts, individuals and societies can make more informed decisions and take proactive measures to prevent conflicts from arising. This can include open communication, finding common ground, and seeking peaceful resolutions.