What's wrong with my transformer model with Ansoft Maxwell

In summary, the person is seeking help with their modeled transformer in Maxwell 3D. They have an issue with the output voltage being only 300 mV instead of the desired 12V. They have attached files and mention a strange StrandedLoss of 350 kW. They have tried increasing the secondary resistor to 1000 Ohms, which solved the voltage issue, but when using a smaller resistor, the voltage is still low. They speculate that the problem may be related to the placement of the coils around the core and suggest using Baundarise to insulate between the core and coils.
lba
Hi,

I had modeled a simple transformer with Maxwell 3D (one closed iron and 2 coils), all seems all right except the output voltage, I have only 300 mV and I must have 12V ! I join the files, if someone can help me ? A strange thing is the StrandedLoss which up to 350 kW ! where's come from this ?

V1=12V
V2=300mV
Coil1=1000 turns
Coil2=1000 turns

RegardsEdit: I have increase the secondary resistor : 1000 Ohms and the voltage is good. But when I want to place a small value for resistor (5 Ohms) for example, the voltage is very low ! someone has an idea where come from the problem ?

Attachments

• ProjectTest.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Circuit ES test (2).zip
    33.5 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is not good. Coils must touch the core, they must be placed around the core and then use Baundarise - Insulating between core and coil.

1. Why is my transformer model not converging in Ansoft Maxwell?

There are several potential reasons why your transformer model may not be converging in Ansoft Maxwell. One common reason is that the meshing parameters are not set correctly, resulting in a poor mesh. Another possible reason is that the simulation settings, such as the frequency range or solver type, are not suitable for the specific model. It is also possible that there is a problem with the geometry or material properties of the transformer. We recommend carefully reviewing all of these aspects and making adjustments as needed to improve convergence.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my transformer model in Ansoft Maxwell?

There are a few ways you can improve the accuracy of your transformer model in Ansoft Maxwell. First, make sure that the geometry is modeled accurately, with all necessary details included. Additionally, using a fine mesh and carefully selecting the appropriate solver settings can also improve accuracy. Another important factor is using accurate material properties for all components of the transformer, including the core, windings, and insulation. It may also be helpful to compare your simulation results with experimental data to verify the accuracy of your model.

3. My transformer model is taking a long time to simulate in Ansoft Maxwell. How can I speed up the simulation?

There are a few strategies you can use to speed up the simulation of your transformer model in Ansoft Maxwell. First, you can try using a coarser mesh or reducing the frequency range of the simulation. Another option is to use a faster solver type, such as an iterative solver instead of a direct solver. Additionally, you can try simplifying the geometry of your model if possible, as this can often reduce simulation time without significantly impacting accuracy.

4. Why am I getting unexpected results from my transformer model in Ansoft Maxwell?

If you are getting unexpected results from your transformer model in Ansoft Maxwell, there may be an error in the setup or simulation process. Check that all of your simulation settings, such as the frequency range and boundary conditions, are correct. It is also important to double-check the material properties and geometry of your model. If everything appears to be set up correctly, it is possible that there is an issue with the software itself. In this case, it may be helpful to contact technical support for assistance.

5. Can I simulate thermal effects in my transformer model using Ansoft Maxwell?

Yes, Ansoft Maxwell allows for the simulation of thermal effects in transformer models. You can define thermal properties for materials, such as specific heat and thermal conductivity, and set up temperature boundary conditions to simulate the heating and cooling of the transformer during operation. This can be especially useful for predicting the temperature rise in different components of the transformer and ensuring that they stay within safe operating limits.