Can a Universe with a Lone Star Survive without an Absorber?

• Thread starter Jilang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of the Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory in a universe with only one star. It is suggested that in an accelerating and expanding universe, the Milky Way will eventually become a lonely galaxy, with substantial volumes of space that cannot receive light. The possibility of performing an experiment to demonstrate this theory is also mentioned, involving entangled photons and detectors. The potential for FTL signalling is also noted, indicating that a null result is likely. The idea of aiming photons into a void region is considered problematic.
Jilang
I have been reading today about the Wheeler-Feymann absorber theory and it occurred to me that it there was no absorber there would be no emission. What would this mean for a universe that has only one star? Would it be able to rid itself of energy or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have discussed this with a number of others here. They felt that this situation would not occur, ie that there would be no suppression of light emission into free space.

I am not so sure that all interpretations would say the same thing. Specifically: if we live in an accelerating and expanding universe, the Milky Way will eventually become a lonely galaxy. Even now, there are substantial volumes of space which cannot ever receive light we send out today because it is receding faster than a critical amount.

I personally believe that an experiment can demonstrate that to be either true or false. I might bet on a null result, but who knows?

The experiment would be as follows: Alice and Bob each receive an entangled photon, and each has a beam splitter and detectors oriented such that:

Alice's Detector 1 goes off with Bob's Detector 1
Alice's Detector 2 goes off with Bob's Detector 2
Bob's 2 detectors go off equally often.

If Alice re-routes her Detector 1 stream* instead to far deep space (where it can never be absorbed), then Bob's Detector 1 cannot go off in those cases (due to conservation considerations). A change in the ratio of clicks at Bob's 1 and 2 detectors would be evident. That is because Detector 1 would click less than before.

Now keep in mind that were this analysis correct, you could also perform FTL signalling from Alice to Bob. So that is a strong indicator that a null result would be forthcoming.

*And this stream is obviously no longer going to Detector 1.

Thank you. I would imagine that aiming them exactly into a void region would be highly problematic. Is there any other way to prevent a photon being absorbed?

1. What is the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star?

The Wheeler-Feynman lonely star, also known as the Wheeler-Feynman absorber theory or the advanced action-at-a-distance theory, is a proposed solution to the problem of how particles interact with each other through space and time.

2. Who proposed the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory?

The Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory was proposed by physicists John Archibald Wheeler and Richard Feynman in the 1940s as an alternative to the traditional theory of electromagnetism.

3. How does the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory differ from traditional theories of electromagnetism?

In contrast to traditional theories, which propose that particles interact with each other through direct physical contact or through the exchange of virtual particles, the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory suggests that particles interact with each other through advanced and retarded waves that travel backwards and forwards in time.

4. Is there any experimental evidence for the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory. However, some aspects of the theory have been tested and confirmed in experiments, such as the existence of advanced and retarded waves and the phenomenon of quantum entanglement.

5. What are the implications of the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory?

If the Wheeler-Feynman lonely star theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and have implications for our understanding of time, causality, and the nature of reality itself.