Wheelers Delayed Choice Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave function collapse and how Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment seems to suggest that it is not caused by the interaction between light and particles. The conversation delves into the different interpretations and meanings of collapse and how it affects the reality of the experiment. The final conclusion is that the term 'collapse' is not necessary and only adds unnecessary metaphysical baggage to the discussion.
Thenewdeal38
"I was convinced that light must be causing the collapse of wave function, but Wheelers Delayed Choice Experiment seems to have confirmed otherwise. We can determine the state of a particle (ie wave or point) by choosing to observe, even if the decision about whether or not to observe is made well after the particle has past the point at which the observation was pointed. My explanation isn't great, but check it out."

So what does this exactly say about the observer effect? I mean were not talking about counsciess time travel here are we?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whom are you quoting?
And what version of Wheeler's experiment you refer to?
Thenewdeal38 said:
So what does this exactly say about the observer effect?
Nothing really.

"I was convinced that light must be causing the collapse of wave function, but Wheelers Delayed Choice Experiment seems to have confirmed otherwise. " I am quoting somebody form a diffrent physics forum. Here he suggests that it isn't the photon/ electron interaction that causes the wave function collapse? That can't be true.

Thenewdeal38 said:
he suggests that it isn't the photon/ electron interaction that causes the wave function collapse? That can't be true.
Why do you think so?
If you want to discuss it deeply, you should define what do you mean as 'collapse'. As it is not quite clear and many people use the same term in different meanings. And what even worse - some people say that they accept some definition of this term, but then extend its meaning with their metaphysical baggage.

As no one ever proposed any experimental test if the function is collapsed or not, for my Occamian-positivistic-reductionist nature 'collapse' should be thus used only as a description of mathematical procedure you apply during analysis of the evolution of some system. It is a measure of your knowledge, but do not affect any reality. Like substituting a variable in some equation with actual value. Or reducing an algebraic expression.

But some people assign some real meaning to the 'collapse' - they say the 'collapse' alters the reality, although they do not explain how this alteration may be revealed and what is the nature of this alteration. For me it is an empty, meaningless metaphysics.

Last edited:
The double slit causes the interference pattern to collapse based of the photon/electron interaction orrect? Does this also apply to the wheeler delayed choice experiment or is there some incosistencie?

I would not call it 'collapse' but rather that interaction between photons and electrons change electrons transverse momenta, thus making them angularily incoherent and in effect spoiling interference pattern. The word 'collapse' is not needed at all - it only brings its metaphysical baggage to discussion and blurs it with ambiguous meanings.

thanks I agree but what does "I was convinced that light must be causing the collapse of wave function, but Wheelers Delayed Choice Experiment seems to have confirmed otherwise," this mean in terms of what causes the spoiling of the interference pattern in the wheeler experiment.

I don't understand that statement. Better ask this question to the person who posted it... Don't ask me for exegeses of other forum members thoughts, especially if I don't share (or don't understand) their points.

1. What is Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment?

Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment is a thought experiment proposed by physicist John Archibald Wheeler in 1978. It aims to understand the role of consciousness in the behavior of particles, specifically in the famous double-slit experiment.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment involves a beam of particles, such as photons, being sent through a barrier with two slits. On the other side of the barrier, a screen is placed to capture the particles' pattern. When the particles are observed, they behave like particles and create a distinct pattern on the screen. However, when the particles are not observed, they behave like waves and create an interference pattern on the screen.

3. What is the significance of this experiment?

The significance of this experiment lies in the fact that it suggests that the behavior of particles can be influenced by the act of observation. It challenges the traditional understanding of causality and raises questions about the role of consciousness in the physical world.

4. What are the implications of this experiment?

The implications of this experiment are still being debated and studied. Some scientists believe it supports the idea of a participatory universe, where reality is created by conscious observation. Others argue that the experiment can be explained through the concept of quantum entanglement and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. Has the experiment been conducted in real life?

Yes, the experiment has been successfully conducted in real life using various particles, such as photons, electrons, and even atoms. It has also been replicated numerous times by different scientists, with consistent results. However, the interpretation and implications of the experiment are still a subject of ongoing research and debate.